HAL paper or plastic straws

qoap24

12 minutes ago, summer slope said:

We were on the Veendam last month and no lids were available in the Explorations.  Made carrying 2 cups dangerous in the morning.

Yeah, I'm with ya on that! Must have run out of lids. Was on Eurodam in Dec and they had them (the lids) plus, after years of asking, they came with 'Starbucks-style sleeves

1 minute ago, Copper10-8 said:

Yeah, I'm with ya on that! Must have run out of lids. Was on Eurodam in Dec and they had them (the lids) plus, after years of asking, they came with 'Starbucks-style sleeves

No sleeves either, after the first day.  Double cupped them from then on.  Kept our sleeves and used them the whole time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

You had no coffee cup lids on a HAL ship?

Hi Copper,  On the Oosterdam Transatlantic back in Oct/Nov,  I asked for a lid and was told "we have stopped using lids to reduce our use of plastics to save the environment".  I was shocked as I see it as a health and safety issue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ThePenguin1 said:

Hi Copper,  On the Oosterdam Transatlantic back in Oct/Nov,  I asked for a lid and was told "we have stopped using lids to reduce our use of plastics to save the environment".  I was shocked as I see it as a health and safety issue.

I guess those ships that discontinue hot coffee lids don't really care about coffee spills on the ship's carpeting, scalding coffee burns on people in elevators,  and dumped drinks in their chairs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThePenguin1 said:

Hi Penguin and thanx! Wait till someone, burned by spilled coffee, files a lawsuit and wins. I'm all for "saving the environment" however, last time I checked, establishments like Starbucks, the Coffee Bean, McDonalds, etc. were/are still serving coffee with lids on them there cups

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Thanks RuthC.......I learned something new today.  It worked!

You're welcome.
I have a friend with severe epilepsy, and I know that seeing something like that could set off an attack, so I know the trick.

Another way to deal with the "no lids" situation is to bring your own travel thermos jug with a lid that allow you to drink from the jug.  We use Zojirushi (means "elephant" in Japanese) mugs which are steel, keep hot drinks hot for hours,  are lightweight, do not leak, easy to clean and are almost indestructible.  Available on Amazon.  On board, I go the Explorations Café each morning to get coffee for my much better half to get her day started on the "right foot". No spills!  No burns!  No waste!  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

My parents are on the Eurodam right now and I asked them about the lids in the Explorations Cafe. Mom said they have had lids every night when they go get their hot cocoa. They are not out on the counter, but if you ask for them, there is no problem getting one.

On my last cruise, my husband used a Keep Cup (a barista-standard size reusable cup) and had no issues, but there was some discussion of the cafe workers not allowing reusable cups (due to passengers not washing them between uses.) We've gotten so used to taking our Keep Cups everywhere here in Australia for take-away coffees, it's strange to not use it on the ship or in the US.

Disposable plastic straws have just become one of my essential packing items.  If the cruise lines won’t provide them, I’ll just bring them myself. It’s hard to drink a frozen drink or a Bloody Mary with no straw or a paper straw.  

We were on the Maasdam last year cruising around New Zealand & Australia, there were no straw at all. My wife asked every bar on the ship... she was not a happy sailor. She has already prepared a ziplock bag with straws for our next cruise this year. 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:30 PM, MajMom96 said:

Disposable plastic straws have just become one of my essential packing items.  If the cruise lines won’t provide them, I’ll just bring them myself. It’s hard to drink a frozen drink or a Bloody Mary with no straw or a paper straw.  

That is what I ended up doing on my last NCL cruise. So if I needed to, I would bring them for my upcoming cruise. I do not have a problem not having a straw with my soda, but if I have a frozen drink, I need a straw. 

Just thinking about this and trying to understand......

If you are concerned about the environment, maybe you should not cruise?.....Seems to me a cruise ship will impact the environment more negatively than a plastic straw.  

As for us, we will cruise and not judge anyone over their straw preference.

On 2/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, RuthC said:

Just hit the 'Esc' (upper left corner of the keyboard) key and it will stop immediately.

Your little jumpy guy doesn't bother me at all, but just FYI, I tried hitting the Escape key and it didn't stop. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Just thinking about this and trying to understand......

If you are concerned about the environment, maybe you should not cruise?.....Seems to me a cruise ship will impact the environment more negatively than a plastic straw.  

As for us, we will cruise and not judge anyone over their straw preference.

Not sure who you are talking to, but if it was me, I never said anything about being concerned or not concerned about the environment. I was asking if they have paper or plastic straws. The end. If this was not for me, then ignore this post.