Cruise Critic Community
cft8

Beach at Ft St Catherine

For our stop in Bermuda in May, I want to make sure I see a pink beach, and being a huge Anglophile, want to explore St George’s. I have read that the beach at Ft St Catherine is pink, but it doesn’t look that pink in photos. (Although to be honest, neither does Horseshoe Bay in many photos I’ve seen.) Will I be disappointed if that’s the beach I see? It does look beautiful. I’m not planning on laying out on the beach, or swimming, because I don’t think it will be warm enough for me. 

The other activity I am considering is taking the mini bus to Horseshoe Bay and then doing a beach walk to Warwick Long Bay, but I have not looked in to how I would get back from there. We are docked at King’s Wharf. 

For our stop in Bermuda in May, I want to make sure I see a pink beach, and being a huge Anglophile, want to explore St George’s. I have read that the beach at Ft St Catherine is pink, but it doesn’t look that pink in photos. (Although to be honest, neither does Horseshoe Bay in many photos I’ve seen.) Will I be disappointed if that’s the beach I see? It does look beautiful. I’m not planning on laying out on the beach, or swimming, because I don’t think it will be warm enough for me.   

The other activity I am considering is taking the mini bus to Horseshoe Bay and then doing a beach walk to Warwick Long Bay, but I have not looked in to how I would get back from there. We are docked at King’s Wharf. 

Pink Sand beaches are not as pink as they may look in photos. Some photos are enhanced. The pink is a tint and seeing it can depend on the light. That said the beach at St. Catherine is not considered one of the pink sand beaches. The pink sand beaches are on the south shore.

The walk between Warwick Long Bay and Horseshoe is wonderful in my opinion. That is all pink sand beaches. It would be the best pink sand experience. Ask the minibus driver to drop you off at Warwick Long Bay and walk to Horseshoe where it will be easy to get a minibus back. Many have reported that the minibus from the Dockyard has dropped them off at Warwick for an extra dollar or two. Or just go to Horseshoe and walk all the way to Warwick and walk back or part way and walk back to Horseshoe. The distance is not that far. I have done that a few times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you dig down into the sand a little bit, you will see pinker sand.  It gets bleached out by the sun.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:26 AM, Charles4515 said:

That said the beach at St. Catherine is not considered one of the pink sand beaches. The pink sand beaches are on the south shore.

I'd read that, but the Bermuda tourism website says "Fort St. Catherine sits between St. Catherine’s Beach and Achilles Bay, towering above pink-sand beaches and offering sweeping ocean views nearly everywhere you look." So, that's where I got the idea it might be at least pink-ish.

I don't think digging as evenstar1976 suggests is going to get me quite the effect I want to see! :-)

Regardless, I think we'll end up going to St. George's. My mom and sister are most interested in that, and while I don't mind doing my own thing, I'm pretty interested in that area as a whole, and the beach at Ft. St. Catherine looks gorgeous, even if it isn't pink. 

This is why cruising is hard - so much to see in each port, so little time - Even with an overnight! I guess I'll just have to go back someday!