Jump to content

FAO Bonnie - Pursuit Rio to Lisbon- Yellow Fever certificate??


Recommended Posts

After weighing up the pros and cons and following the very strong advice from my brother (G.P.) and my own G.P., at the ages of 69 and 75 we had the Yellow Fever vaccination about 10 days ago.

 

I had advice from the ship that YF status would not be checked prior to boarding, but one should check with the airline for their requirements to board a flight to Rio De Janeiro.

 

I had the following advice from the Brazilian Consulate in Australia :

"It’s not mandatory to be immunized against yellow fever to enter Brazil, nor any other infectious disease. However, it is strongly recommended to do so."

also

"The presentation of the Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate is compulsory if the traveler is coming from a Yellow Fever country. For instance if you will visit Peru and Bolivia before going into Brazil you will be asked to provide the YF vaccination certificate upon entry into Brazil. The same applies if you will be visiting African countries (except South Africa), before visiting Brazil."

 

Hoping everyone stays well and we all enjoy a pleasant cruise! :classic_smile:

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Baynanno1 said:

After weighing up the pros and cons and following the very strong advice from my brother (G.P.) and my own G.P., at the ages of 69 and 75 we had the Yellow Fever vaccination about 10 days ago.

 

I had advice from the ship that YF status would not be checked prior to boarding, but one should check with the airline for their requirements to board a flight to Rio De Janeiro.

 

I had the following advice from the Brazilian Consulate in Australia :

"It’s not mandatory to be immunized against yellow fever to enter Brazil, nor any other infectious disease. However, it is strongly recommended to do so."

also

"The presentation of the Yellow Fever Vaccination Certificate is compulsory if the traveler is coming from a Yellow Fever country. For instance if you will visit Peru and Bolivia before going into Brazil you will be asked to provide the YF vaccination certificate upon entry into Brazil. The same applies if you will be visiting African countries (except South Africa), before visiting Brazil."

 

Hoping everyone stays well and we all enjoy a pleasant cruise! :classic_smile:

 

 

 

Aged 63 and 65, our travel clinic in Edinburgh also recommended we have YF vaccination due to present outbreaks in Rio and Salvador and high risk if we caught yellow fever.  Now had vaccination which lasts lifetime. Also advised can buy mosquito wristbands which have been proving effective.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

jj6961 is correct. Although I have seen communications back and forth, and it seems there is a little bit of worry about conditions changing. Cape Verde is very strict, and can't blame a small island culture for being protective. 

That's has what has been bothering me about responding definitively. 

But now that our Customer Service says 'not required' I'll concur.

Thank you Bonnie but how do we obtain a statement from Azamara confirming that we won't need a YF certificate to board or to go ashore in Cape Verde. I'm not sure that saying "I saw a post on Cruise Critic that said we don't need it" will be enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have posted this in the past, we witnessed a couple refused boarding in Manaus (not Azamara) because neither had yellow fever vaccination certificates, they were a stated requirement for the trip due to the ports of call, like visa requirements I would rather control my own destiny than rely on a vague "it will be OK"

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, workingtocruise-59 said:

Thank you Bonnie but how do we obtain a statement from Azamara confirming that we won't need a YF certificate to board or to go ashore in Cape Verde. I'm not sure that saying "I saw a post on Cruise Critic that said we don't need it" will be enough.

 

Do not rely solely on what you read on Cruise Critic. You should do your own research and also communicate with our Customer Service as a prior poster did.

I am simply concurring with him/her that for now our CS says no YF certificate is needed.

 

Now and then I must reiterate on this forum that I am solely here to help. Please know that as CBO I have no rank or authority that will get you ashore should a sovereign nation say an inoculation is necessary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

 

Do not rely solely on what you read on Cruise Critic. You should do your own research and also communicate with our Customer Service as a prior poster did.

I am simply concurring with him/her that for now our CS says no YF certificate is needed.

 

Now and then I must reiterate on this forum that I am solely here to help. Please know that as CBO I have no rank or authority that will get you ashore should a sovereign nation say an inoculation is necessary. 

Thank you again.

I would, of course, not rely solely on anything I read on CC.

I completely understand your role on CC and, naturally, do not expect that you would be able to get us ashore in the circumstances you describe.

I have attempted to do my own research by contacting the Cape Verde Embassy ( three times) but have had no reply.

I have also very recently contacted Azamara UK and am awaiting their response.

I am regretting having booked this cruise.I cannot imagine arriving in Rio and being refused boarding.

 

...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not worry about being denied boarding! We want you to enjoy your voyage without worry or regret. 

 

When you follow the links so kindly posted in #2 of this thread you’ll find the below statement under Brazil:

Certificate Requirements

  • There are no certificate requirements under International Health Regulations.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2019 at 4:24 PM, cinnamon said:

Thanks Lottie, but actually that makes me a little scared. Being over 60 we’re advised not to have the vaccine. At a cost of £27.00. ($36.00) I now have letter saying that it is contra-indicated for me. I guess I’ll be using lots of Deet!

Hi

I've just been speaking to our GP and he will provide a letter but I'm not sure if we would need an 

official YF exemption certificate from a YF centre or if the GP letter would suffice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 2:12 PM, BBMacLaird said:

I would not worry about being denied boarding! We want you to enjoy your voyage without worry or regret. 

 

When you follow the links so kindly posted in #2 of this thread you’ll find the below statement under Brazil:

Certificate Requirements

  • There are no certificate requirements under International Health Regulations.

 

Hi Bonnie

 

Thank you but this refers to requirements for Brazil and not those required for embarking in Brazil and then (hopefully!!) arriving in Cape Verde.

I have had some info from Pursuit and they are currently checking with the port authorities to ascertain what the requirements for boarding in Rio/leaving the ship in Mindelo may be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are aware and currently monitoring the situation. According to the CDC (Center of Disease and Control Prevention), the vaccine is required for anyone over the age of one and if traveling from a country with risk of Yellow Fever virus transmission, including transit 12 hours in an airport located in a country with risk of Yellow Fever virus transmission. Brazil is sometimes on the Yellow Fever risk countries list, but local authorities have advised that at this stage center areas in Brazil we are calling are not at-risk areas, so their health authorities are not requiring the yellow fever card.
 
However, we recommend that each guest visit the CDC’s website and speak with their doctor in regards to vaccines and medicines based on their individual health history, and travel plans.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I have no worry that we won't be able to embark the ship without a YF certificate. I'm not going to have one. My decision. I have read the risks and understand them and will take precautions not to get bitten. I'm just back from 2 months in South America including Brazil and didn't have them then. I also do not think Cape Verde will deny ship guests to disembark without a certificate. If we were flying directly from Brazil it might be different when arriving at the airport, but we will have been a few sea days before getting there. 

 

At the end of the day I think you have to take responsibility and make your own decision. 

 

1.  Have a YF vaccination and take the paperwork that you've had it 

2. If your health expert deems it unsafe for you then get a certificate of exemption 

3. Like me, don't have one with the consequences that may happen (which as I said above I don't think will be an issue). 

 

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

FWIW, I have no worry that we won't be able to embark the ship without a YF certificate. I'm not going to have one. My decision. I have read the risks and understand them and will take precautions not to get bitten. I'm just back from 2 months in South America including Brazil and didn't have them then. I also do not think Cape Verde will deny ship guests to disembark without a certificate. If we were flying directly from Brazil it might be different when arriving at the airport, but we will have been a few sea days before getting there. 

 

At the end of the day I think you have to take responsibility and make your own decision. 

 

1.  Have a YF vaccination and take the paperwork that you've had it 

2. If your health expert deems it unsafe for you then get a certificate of exemption 

3. Like me, don't have one with the consequences that may happen (which as I said above I don't think will be an issue). 

 

Phil

Thank you.

We, too, have decided not to have the YF inoculation.

I have researched (extensively!) and there have, as far as I can judge, been no cases of YF in Rio City.

I haven't yet checked the incidence in Salvador.

I, too, think it unlikely that we will be denied boarding without a certificate but I cannot be sure.

But thinking about it logically this would mean that every Officer & crew member would need to have a YF certificate. And, no doubt, many other guests on this voyage will not have considered this.

Unfortunately, as I may have said before, if there is one mosquito in a country it will be waiting for me when I arrive!

I have already ordered permethrin treated clothing and industrial quantities of DEET.

 

Edited by workingtocruise-59
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2019 at 4:58 PM, Whitby100 said:

Just to draw your attention to the details of the doctor’s death.  The posted article (which is my only source) does state the death followed the vaccination, not that it was caused by the vaccine. A causal link was not established. It recommends discussing the situation with a doctor - always a good idea: 

It was the vaccine that caused his death.  The family are known to us and we are not taking the risk.  If it means a day on an empty ship so be it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We checked with our doctor and he said no...don't get it! 1) We are over 65 and 2) It is very difficult to obtain the vaccine here in the US even if we were able to take it and 3) he didn't think it was necessary.  So we are passing on it. LuAnn

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2019 at 2:04 AM, LuAnn said:

We checked with our doctor and he said no...don't get it! 1) We are over 65 and 2) It is very difficult to obtain the vaccine here in the US even if we were able to take it and 3) he didn't think it was necessary.  So we are passing on it. LuAnn

I am on another cruise line in Africa. They wanted the proof you had or had not had the shot by getting the Drs letter and the YF booklet saying you choose not to have the shot. Living in NC the closest place to my home was over an hour drive for the booklet. Not even sure where I could if found the vaccine. Just not easy in the states. 

I ended up seeing friends in DC and got the booklet and Drs letter there. They did not even have the vaccine. That was DC,

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, Belinda-Jane said:

It was the vaccine that caused his death.  The family are known to us and we are not taking the risk.  If it means a day on an empty ship so be it.  

We cancelled being on that Pursuit cruise for other reasons but had we been onboard I would have been joining you as I would not take that risk. Our sympathies to the family involved it must be so hard for you and them to read misinterpreted analysis of the cause of death. 

DH has a certificate because he worked in Africa a few years ago. I’d have sent him ashore to take pictures. No way would I risk otherwise. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We too opted out of YF shot on the advice  of both our GP & the YF Travel Clinic.  Advised that due to our age & health ...the risk  of adverse reactions to the  shot outweighed the benefits. We were issued a YF exemption certificate  though.  As an aside there is also a YF serum shortage in Canada too ! But on the advice of both the Travel Clinic & GP we did get a measles shot.  

Now only thing left to do is pack up the luggage...sit back & relax & enjoy the cruise ! 

Sharon

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, munch1 said:

We too opted out of YF shot on the advice  of both our GP & the YF Travel Clinic.  Advised that due to our age & health ...the risk  of adverse reactions to the  shot outweighed the benefits. We were issued a YF exemption certificate  though.  As an aside there is also a YF serum shortage in Canada too ! But on the advice of both the Travel Clinic & GP we did get a measles shot.  

Now only thing left to do is pack up the luggage...sit back & relax & enjoy the cruise ! 

Sharon

I’m armed with my Jungle Juice spray!

 

Phil

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’m armed with my Jungle Juice spray!

 

Phil

 

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’m armed with my Jungle Juice spray!

 

Phil

😄😄😄😄. Us too ! The perfume of the day “ eau de bug parfum “  Lol ! 

Sharon

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of perfume . . . I have read that it is advised to not wear perfume (of the usually expensive feminine variety) in Yellow Fever risk areas, as it attracts mosquitoes! :classic_ohmy:

I too will be wearing “eau de bug parfum“.

Edited by Baynanno1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spoke with our travel agent today and he said they contacted Azamara and Cape Verde and that Yellow Fever vaccine is not required when arriving by cruise ship.  Hopefully this is the case and we can all enjoy the port.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, milleras said:

Spoke with our travel agent today and he said they contacted Azamara and Cape Verde and that Yellow Fever vaccine is not required when arriving by cruise ship.  Hopefully this is the case and we can all enjoy the port.

 

Yes, someone reported the same thing on the roll call quite a while ago and it is what I have gone with ever since. It makes sense. If you were flying into Cape Verde direct from a yellow fever area then there might be checks (assuming they do their job diligently at the airport), but we will be four days at sea before our arrival and I can't see them checking and either the ship telling us we can't get off or being turned back at the dock. 

 

Phil 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

The YF vaccine in readily available at our local health department.   Being in a military area may have had an impact.    Saw quite a few new cases showing in Brazil, March 28.    When we traveled to RIO cruising to Manaus we had the vaccine.   We also had to take the Malaria Tablets while onboard.   If you get Malaria you are never rid of it, at least with YF you have a 50% chase of survivingdepending on your health.    There is no treatment for YF.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...