HAL Financial Tips (Transpacific)

Stateroom_Sailor

We're fairly new to HAL, and are looking at ways to maximize value.  Definitely interested in gaining Mariner Status, stock ownership, upgrading and downgrading opportunities, perk sales, and "Restricted Fare" vs "Why Not Now?" rates.  We're mainly only fairly familiar with Celebrity and RCCL pricing dynamics, and lean towards reposition cruises.

We booked a Yukon cruise tour for last June, and upgraded from OV to Veranda after final payment, for $300 total.  Even thought we were only on the ship for 3 days, the veranda seemed well worth in Alaska!  We also locked a Signature Suite for a 5 day Coastal this fall, at $739.  We figured the price wasn't going to get much better, excellent deal.

Now we're booked a Signature Suite sailing from Japan in April 2020 on the Westerdam.   It is midship and port side, better for facing Japan and Alaska.  We get $600 OBC, 10% off excursions, and an airfare discount.  We booked under the flexible rate of $3,500, rather than the restricted fare of $2,999.  The current price for 2019 (assuming after final payment), is $999 for a veranda, $1,999 for a suite.  I realize that the value is subjective veranda vs suite, but how would you experienced HAL cruisers strategize from here?

Unfortunately we only purchased one future cruise deposits in June.  Next time we'll buy more!  I suppose we could cancel and rebook on our coastal?

11 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We're fairly new to HAL, and are looking at ways to maximize value.  Definitely interested in gaining Mariner Status, stock ownership, upgrading and downgrading opportunities, perk sales, and "Restricted Fare" vs "Why Not Now?" rates.  We're mainly only fairly familiar with Celebrity and RCCL pricing dynamics, and lean towards reposition cruises.

We booked a Yukon cruise tour for last June, and upgraded from OV to Veranda after final payment, for $300 total.  Even thought we were only on the ship for 3 days, the veranda seemed well worth in Alaska!  We also locked a Signature Suite for a 5 day Coastal this fall, at $739.  We figured the price wasn't going to get much better, excellent deal.

Now we're booked a Signature Suite sailing from Japan in April 2020 on the Westerdam.   It is midship and port side, better for facing Japan and Alaska.  We get $600 OBC, 10% off excursions, and an airfare discount.  We booked under the flexible rate of $3,500, rather than the restricted fare of $2,999.  The current price for 2019 (assuming after final payment), is $999 for a veranda, $1,999 for a suite.  I realize that the value is subjective veranda vs suite, but how would you experienced HAL cruisers strategize from here?

Unfortunately we only purchased one future cruise deposits in June.  Next time we'll buy more!  I suppose we could cancel and rebook on our coastal?

What do you mean by "strategize"?  What do you want?  A lower price on your Westerdam cruise?  If so, what is the price that you paid for your SS cabin on that cruise?  You would get a better response if you specifically state what it is you wish to "strategize.

The Westerdam cruise is in 2020, so I would not consider a restricted fare; fares fluctuate over time.  And I probably would not start at the top of my comfort zone, but more  mid-comfort zone... for you it sounds like a balcony to start, and then look to move up to a suite if the prices drop.    

I have found good prices starting with a HAL PCC, and then transferring to a big box TA to get their perks or OBC.   But I have also found good prices with a different type of TA, not the big box and not the PCC, so it varies.  You have to do the research constantly to see where the deals are opening up.  So I wouldn't lock into something so far out.  

I don't think this is a strategy unique to HAL.  

You mentioned that you are "definitely interested in gaining.... stock ownership..."  You can buy it in your IRA if you have one, buy it on a market dip.  If you have a long cruise offered in segments look at the stock benefit for each segment.  A 14 day or longer segment benefit is $250, but you'll need to have separate booking numbers for those segments, and you may have trouble getting a specific room or staying the same room for all segments. On some segmented cruises, especially Grand Cruises, HAL may only offer Guarantee category bookings for individual segment bookings, thus saving the assigned room inventory for those who are booking the whole cruise.  Talking with a HAL PCC can be helpful, but some are more informed than others.  If you don't feel comfortable with a PCC, call back and request another... you are hiring them for their service, and they should be able to meet your needs.  

Happy planning, m--

• Like 1

I'm a firm believer in booking HAL repos after final payment.  I've been following prices on the same cruise for this year (not sailing it as we have obligations in Asia) and have noted the drop in non-suite prices since the final payment date.  I think suite prices may have room to move (but balance that against airfare).

You could move your booking to a later cruise and change it to the repo if the prices meet your target.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cruising cockroach said:

I'm a firm believer in booking HAL repos after final payment.  I've been following prices on the same cruise for this year (not sailing it as we have obligations in Asia) and have noted the drop in non-suite prices since the final payment date.  I think suite prices may have room to move (but balance that against airfare).

You could move your booking to a later cruise and change it to the repo if the prices meet your target.

I've noticed this pattern.  We were planning for a few years to book the Yukon Cruise Tour last minute, after seeing prices nearly cut in half last minute.  A couple years ago they started pricing towards the middle of this range, which helps keep the price fairly consistent, even after final payment.

RMLincoln is right about choosing a cheaper cabin, and moving up if opportunity presents itself.  I would rather alter within a sailing, rather than booking last minute, to give time for excursion, hotel, and airfare planning.  I have an IRA, and plan to add Carnival stock before our next cruise.

We have a PCC, but assumed that our big box store TA could match whatever deal they had going on, plus OBC.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

When ever possible I book cruises when I am on Cruises for the OBC. My wife and I always book the rooms that we want.( that makes a difference for us). Once I have decided we will keep the cruise we transfer it to a TA for the additional benefits. Then I continue to watch promotions.  We have done upgrades twice and we regret both of them as they were not our favorite choice of rooms. Then I add the CCL credit. Usually do the Atlantic 24-26 day TA's with between $1600-$1900 OBC. Plan B is a Veranda Suite on a non Vista class ship. That is worth double cruise days. Now I have reached the Pinnacle, free laundry and 50% off on wine packages.

We have not done any last minute cruises. For us the anticipation is worth more then the cost savings. Also I think the opportunity for OBC is reduced (eliminated ) on a last minute deal.

Currently have 6 cruises booked in the next two years. (8 legs) Might only end up keeping two, maybe three. Waiting for the repos for fall 2020 to decide.

Edited by aa7yy
  • Like 1

On two of the longer cruises we did (38-Day South Pacific, AU & NZ and 35-day voyage of the Vikings) the segments of the cruises cost more than just booking the longer cruise.

We usually book right after they post them to HAL, and sometimes we also ask our Personal Consultant to give us the heads up on a particular itinerary.  That's how we got the South Pacific Cruise.  We pick our room, and start looking for price drops. 

We don't get the various promotions, because they usually raise the price when they start advertising the promotion.

We buy future bookings (w/o itinerary), then book once we find a trip we like.  We seldom book a specific itinerary on the ship.  Some of the future cruise employees aren't very good.  And once we got stuck in a room w/ a very small balcony (standing room only at one end).  We also like to look up shore excursions before we book, and most of the time, Future cruises desk doesn't help with that.  I'd rather not pay ship internet for that research.

We've never been offered an upgrade in dozens of cruises.  We prefer to cruise in Signature Suites, and there's not much room for upgrading w/ them.

Edited by knittinggirl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, knittinggirl said:

On two of the longer cruises we did (38-Day South Pacific, AU & NZ and 35-day voyage of the Vikings) the segments of the cruises cost more than just booking the longer cruise.

We usually book right after they post them to HAL, and sometimes we also ask our Personal Consultant to give us the heads up on a particular itinerary.  That's how we got the South Pacific Cruise.  We pick our room, and start looking for price drops. 

We don't get the various promotions, because they usually raise the price when they start advertising the promotion.

We buy future bookings (w/o itinerary), then book once we find a trip we like.  We seldom book a specific itinerary on the ship.  Some of the future cruise employees aren't very good.  And once we got stuck in a room w/ a very small balcony (standing room only at one end).  We also like to look up shore excursions before we book, and most of the time, Future cruises desk doesn't help with that.  I'd rather not pay ship internet for that research.

We've never been offered an upgrade in dozens of cruises.  We prefer to cruise in Signature Suites, and there's not much room for upgrading w/ them.

Actually, I have found the opposite to be true.  Signature Suites are a bargain, in my opinion because they are not much more than a regular verandah but with half again as much room.  Consequently, they are popular, and we have had more upsell offers (and even one free upgrade) to a NS from the SS suites.  Wish the S and R classes had them!  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Actually, I have found the opposite to be true.  Signature Suites are a bargain, in my opinion because they are not much more than a regular verandah but with half again as much room.  Consequently, they are popular, and we have had more upsell offers (and even one free upgrade) to a NS from the SS suites.  Wish the S and R classes had them!  

I think the SS are our favorite category.  On the Noordam, we loved the double toilets and the separate shower.  They also offer double Mariner Credit.  We like the NS, but usually they are too rich for us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

I think the SS are our favorite category.  On the Noordam, we loved the double toilets and the separate shower.  They also offer double Mariner Credit.  We like the NS, but usually they are too rich for us.

We've never considered suites before sailing on HAL.  We tended to lean towards Aqua Class on Celebrity, which seams like a more comparable price.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:45 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

To be honest    I would have booked through an experienced agent  who could answer all your questions, give you better pricing and even rebates to you for your purchased fare

On 2/9/2019 at 1:45 AM, Stateroom_Sailor said:

47 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We've never considered suites before sailing on HAL.  We tended to lean towards Aqua Class on Celebrity, which seams like a more comparable price.

We're coming from the Junior Suites on Royal Caribbean, so we like the SS on HAL.  The Vista suites on HAL's smaller ships are comparable to Concierge or Aqua Class on Celebrity (w/o the amenities).

7 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

Double toilets? Did you mean double sinks? I have never seen double toilets in a cabin on a HAL ship (maybe on some of their new family cabins or a Pinnacle suite, neither of which I've ever been in).

1 hour ago, PSR said:

Double toilets? Did you mean double sinks? I have never seen double toilets in a cabin on a HAL ship (maybe on some of their new family cabins or a Pinnacle suite, neither of which I've ever been in).

Odd person out and now almost no longer,  but Prinsendam has Neptune suites with two separate commodes. One was accessible as a powder room to the main sitting area which was handy if you were entertaining others in your cabin, the other was part of the main bathroom. 

6 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

Odd person out and now almost no longer,  but Prinsendam has Neptune suites with two separate commodes. One was accessible as a powder room to the main sitting area which was handy if you were entertaining others in your cabin, the other was part of the main bathroom. 

Yes, as mentioned, I know some cabins on some ships have 2 toilets, but knittinggirl said her "SS" cabin  on the Noordam had 2 toilets. That I would like to clarify because we would sure like to find a cabin like that.

16 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We're coming from the Junior Suites on Royal Caribbean, so we like the SS on HAL.  The Vista suites on HAL's smaller ships are comparable to Concierge or Aqua Class on Celebrity (w/o the amenities).

I saw the Vista suites on Amsterdam, almost chose Montreal to Fort Lauderdale.  Didn't quite seem worth it, we liked the layout of the Lanai cabins better.  SS looks great!