Alcohol Package

vinob

Hi Folks, have done a handful of cruises mainly P&O but this is first with RCI, so hoping you seasoned RCI passengers can give me the heads up.  Is it better to buy the package ahead of the cruise @ £46.11 per night or do they sometimes do special deals when you board the ship.   I've heard it can vary from ship to ship, we're going on Jewel of the Seas.

Any help greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Viv.

2 minutes ago, vinob said:

Hi Folks, have done a handful of cruises mainly P&O but this is first with RCI, so hoping you seasoned RCI passengers can give me the heads up.  Is it better to buy the package ahead of the cruise @ £46.11 per night or do they sometimes do special deals when you board the ship.   I've heard it can vary from ship to ship, we're going on Jewel of the Seas.

Any help greatly appreciated. Kind regards, Viv.

In my experience it's always cheaper before boarding. You can purchase and keep watching the price, if it goes down you can cancle and repurchase. 

It usually always better to buy before boarding.    Typically no break in the price on board.    Find a price you like and buy.   Then keep an eye out on your cruise planner for sales and price improvement.   If you see a better price, you can cancel an re-book at the lower price.  

I did that twice for my cruise next week.   In US $$.....the price started @ $60,  then went to $52, the to $49 (where I bought), then to $44 (cancelled and re-booked), and last night it dropped to $39 (where I cancelled and re-booked again).   All the US prices are per person/per day plus and you have to add an $18% gratuity on the price.

That's worth watching but not sure if it works differently in uk, I know in the US you can cancel your cruise and rebook if you see your cabin grade at a lower price, we can't do that in the UK and wondering if its the same with the packages.  I will keep a eye on prices and give them a ring.  Many thanks.

2 hours ago, zdad59 said:

It usually always better to buy before boarding.    Typically no break in the price on board.    Find a price you like and buy.   Then keep an eye out on your cruise planner for sales and price improvement.   If you see a better price, you can cancel an re-book at the lower price.  

I did that twice for my cruise next week.   In US $$.....the price started @ $60,  then went to $52, the to $49 (where I bought), then to $44 (cancelled and re-booked), and last night it dropped to $39 (where I cancelled and re-booked again).   All the US prices are per person/per day plus and you have to add an $18% gratuity on the price.

Does that mean you had to be refunded the whole amount of package each time or did they just rebook package and refund the difference?

11 minutes ago, vinob said:

Does that mean you had to be refunded the whole amount of package each time or did they just rebook package and refund the difference?

When you cancel, they refund THE ENITRE AMOUNT to your method of payment.   Then you re-book and they charge you that price.    So if you use a credit card, you'll see a full credit of the prior purchase and a full charge of the new package.

I'm not exactly sure how it works if you bought with an OBC.    I always save my OBCs for use on board.

Edited by zdad59

1 minute ago, zdad59 said:

When you cancel, they refund THE ENITRE AMOUNT to your method of payment.   Then you re-book and they charge you that price.    So if you use a credit card, you'll see a full credit of the prior purchase and a full charge of the new package.

Many thanks zdad59, you seem an old hand with RCI, so going to ask you another question if you don't mind.  I was trawling through your replies to posts, Some one had mentioned that they were going to advance check their bags for flight home and that RCI arrange for them to be taken to airport.  Do you know anything about this service.  Lastly as an old hand with rci what is the one most relevant thing you would say to a newbie to rci, other than make sure you get the drinks package.  Kind regards Viv.

2 hours ago, vinob said:

That's worth watching but not sure if it works differently in uk, I know in the US you can cancel your cruise and rebook if you see your cabin grade at a lower price, we can't do that in the UK and wondering if its the same with the packages.  I will keep a eye on prices and give them a ring.  Many thanks.

You are correct about not being able to re-book lower cruise fair without having to cancel and loosing deposit in the UK but for packages it works OK. Last night I just cancelled the drinks package I had booked as the price had dropped and we saved £88 for the 2 of us, no need to call you can do it online through the order history. I had part paid with OBC and that was refunded instantly to my account as well.

Edited by HighlandBoy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, vinob said:

Many thanks zdad59, you seem an old hand with RCI, so going to ask you another question if you don't mind.  I was trawling through your replies to posts, Some one had mentioned that they were going to advance check their bags for flight home and that RCI arrange for them to be taken to airport.  Do you know anything about this service.  Lastly as an old hand with rci what is the one most relevant thing you would say to a newbie to rci, other than make sure you get the drinks package.  Kind regards Viv.

My gang calls me "The Prince of Planning".   Each cabin in our group even gets a laminated itinerary for the week to put in their room.  :classic_biggrin:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=393194

Advanced Bag check - A recent addition to the RCL line up.   The trip next week will be the first time I use it.   It has gotten good reviews.   $25 per person plus any bag fees the airline charges.    They say your flight must be at least AFTER 11:30, and if you're flying out of Ft. Lauderdale with a Miami Disembarkation, its 2:30 for the flight.

Important RCL stuff.....

• Relax and have fun.   As you can see from this sight, those that go looking for issues or bad food, will most certainly find it.   I enjoy every minute of my trips.   Is there some sub par food...sure.  But I've never had a bad meal in the MDR.    If they bring out something and it's not to my liking, I politely ask my waiter for a different dish.   I've tasted some not good food, but I've never had a bad meal.   Get it?
  • Breakfast in the MDR or another venue is usually a better experience than Windjammer Buffet.   Windjammer is not bad for a cafeteria type meal, but the MDR (or Solarium Bistro on Oasis Class ships) is always a better choice for us.   Similar foods but a much calmer atmosphere.
  • If you sail Oasis class. book aqua shows for early days in the trip.   They sometimes get cancelled due to weather or sea conditions.   If an early show is cancelled, you still will have other shots at seeing it.
  • Pick the meal time of your choice.   We prefer traditional dining with an early seating.  A lot of folks like the my time dining.
  • We always do one specialty dining meal, usually the last night of the cruise.   A great way to cap off a splendid week.
  • Don't be a chair hog.   :classic_biggrin:

Feel free to hit me up with questions any time you like.   I have tons of opinions !!!

Edited by zdad59

1 hour ago, zdad59 said:

I'm not exactly sure how it works if you bought with an OBC.    I always save my OBCs for use on board.

When I have cancelled something in my cruise planner that I booked using OBC, the credit immediately shows up on my planner and I can rebook at the lower price.  I wish that the refund would show up on my credit card as quickly as it does using OBC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zdad59 said:

My gang calls me "The Prince of Planning".   Each cabin in our group even gets a laminated itinerary for the week to put in their room.  :classic_biggrin:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=393194

Advanced Bag check - A recent addition to the RCL line up.   The trip next week will be the first time I use it.   It has gotten good reviews.   $25 per person plus any bag fees the airline charges.    They say your flight must be at least AFTER 11:30, and if you're flying out of Ft. Lauderdale with a Miami Disembarkation, its 2:30 for the flight.

Important RCL stuff.....

• Relax and have fun.   As you can see from this sight, those that go looking for issues or bad food, will most certainly find it.   I enjoy every minute of my trips.   Is there some sub par food...sure.  But I've never had a bad meal in the MDR.    If they bring out something and it's not to my liking, I politely ask my waiter for a different dish.   I've tasted some not good food, but I've never had a bad meal.   Get it?
  • Breakfast in the MDR or another venue is usually a better experience than Windjammer Buffet.   Windjammer is not bad for a cafeteria type meal, but the MDR (or Solarium Bistro on Oasis Class ships) is always a better choice for us.   Similar foods but a much calmer atmosphere.
  • If you sail Oasis class. book aqua shows for early days in the trip.   They sometimes get cancelled due to weather or sea conditions.   If an early show is cancelled, you still will have other shots at seeing it.
  • Pick the meal time of your choice.   We prefer traditional dining with an early seating.  A lot of folks like the my time dining.
  • We always do one specialty dining meal, usually the last night of the cruise.   A great way to cap off a splendid week.
  • Don't be a chair hog.   :classic_biggrin:

Feel free to hit me up with questions any time you like.   I have tons of opinions !!!

Many thanks zdad59, very useful comments, really looking forward to this first cruise with RCI.                                                     Have a fab cruise and no doubt I may have some more questions for when you get back.  Kind regards Viv.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vinob said:

Most times there is a penalty for that now, u less you booked a refundable cruise which comes w a higher price tag. 

5 hours ago, zdad59 said:

Just wondering, what if you add it to your shopping cart on thr RCCL website, at the price listed, in this case $47.00 per day but didn't actually pay at that time.  Then a few days later, the price changes on the RCCL website, lets say to $55.00, would it change in the shopping cart too? I've actually done this with christmas presents in the past and always got the lowest price when I finally checked out.  Anyone have that experience?  Our cruise actually IS $47.00 per day...so I think we'll be buying that anyway, I don't anticipate it going lower.

2 hours ago, AACJ said:

Just wondering, what if you add it to your shopping cart on thr RCCL website, at the price listed, in this case $47.00 per day but didn't actually pay at that time.  Then a few days later, the price changes on the RCCL website, lets say to $55.00, would it change in the shopping cart too? I've actually done this with christmas presents in the past and always got the lowest price when I finally checked out.  Anyone have that experience?  Our cruise actually IS $47.00 per day...so I think we'll be buying that anyway, I don't anticipate it going lower.

I wouldn’t tempt fate.   Buy at a price you’re comfortable with and then watch for lower prices. 

I did. But checking today it went up to $50.00. On another reservation, it was saved in the shopping cart at the $47.00 price but suddenly became "unavailable" at the price change.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk