Help? Will we like HAL?

jargey3000

we're a 60+ active couple with 9 cruises under our belt, on various lines but never HAL.

we enjoyed all our cruise and Of the lines weve done , have to say we prefer Princess and  Celebrity. Key considerstions for us are of course pricing, cleanliness, food quality ( we never go to the specialty restaurants), activities, nice gym, musical & other entertainment.Dont spend any time IN the pool, dont care for any upcharge sevices, and dont bother  the crew too much for assistance or needs.

we're considering caribbean cruise in late april on HAL first time.

it appears the ships doing that run are Oosterdam, Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam (weird name!)

given that we like princess  & celebrity, we'd appreciate any comments how those lines compare -pro or con- to HAL. And if you think we would enjoy any of those boats. thanks!

Edited by jargey3000

If you already like those other lines, why are you now looking at HAL?  Price, itinerary, cabin choices, size of ship, departure port, length of cruise?  All those cruise line pretty much offer a similar product for the Caribbean.

HAL will differ only slightly, depending on the ship you choose. However, there are a few very unique HAL Caribbean itineraries on their smaller ships thrown into  the mix that do stand out. Which one are you looking at?

HAL as its name suggests has a long connection with the Netherlands and this traidtion does form a key part of its onboard experience and traditions - hence ,what you call  "weird" names for their ships.  Agree, they look like a mouthful but phonetically it becomes "new".

From much of what you report you are seeking when cruising, HAL should be a very good match.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 3

I think you are a good fit for HAL.   We too cruise other lines...haven't tried Princess but elite on Celebrity.   Very similar in a lot of ways.....good food, good service for example.   Whenever we cruise HAL I am struck by how the line works to make the cruise special for the passenger.   Other cruise lines have shore excursion talks but HAL give info about the port and lets you choose what to do.    I find HAL has the better long itineraries (such as Amazon Explorer, Voyage of the Vikings, etc).

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I can’t comment on the Nieuw Amsterdam being “driven aground”, but the newest ship of the ones you are considering is the Nieuw Statendam. She just started sailing this past December and is a lovely ship. We were just on 2 weeks ago, and also have sailed on the NA as well. 

We’re pretty biased on Holland and choose to sail with the time after time. We are in our 60’s and sailed with them for the first time in our 20’s.

24 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

considering the Nieuw Amsterdam, as i think shes the newest, largest of the 3, BUT, I see she was "driven aground" in 2017? any comments on that?

is she safe 🙂?

Source? 

"Is she safe" is not really a serious question. Why would you even consider a ship if you thought the management put "unsafe ships" out to sea? You say you cruise a lot, but how well informed have you been about mandatory ship inspections and oversight by multiple safety regulation orgnizations -- before a ship even leaves the dock?

56 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Source? 

"Is she safe" is not really a serious question. Why would you even consider a ship if you thought the management put "unsafe ships" out to sea? You say you cruise a lot, but how well informed have you been about mandatory ship inspections and oversight by multiple safety regulation orgnizations -- before a ship even leaves the dock?

maybe you didnt notice my "smiley face" at the end 😀

20 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

does she do any 7 day Caribbean runs in April or May?

April 7th Western Caribbean and April 14th Eastern Caribbean are the last cruises before she sails to Europe for the summer season.

From my limited experience of 6 HAL cruises I would add that the Nieuw Statendam is an entirely different

looking ship than the Oosterdam.   More modern versus traditional.   I loved all six times!   HAL Rocks!

If you like the "energy" Princess and Celebrity cruises give off in their vast variety of entertainment offerings, then you may not like HAL all that much as they have a more relaxed atmosphere. However, if you don't mind low key evening production shows, minimal, if any, interactive game show offerings other than trivia, no lectures other than maybe a port/shopping presentation, along with plenty of down time on sea days, then maybe you'll like HAL as a relaxing alternative to the more "fun" atmosphere Princess and Celebrity offers on sea days.

We're in our mid 60s and have pretty much switched to Celebrity and Princess as we were simply getting bored on HAL cruises these past few years, especially on sea days. However, the food up on their Lido deck buffet is better overall than what we've experienced on either Princess or Celebrity. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

op here:

Interesting comment from Ken (above). unlike maybe a lot of trvallers, we live in a pretty boring town, so when we travel, we dont  go to" get away from it all" we go to kinda " get TO it all" LOL (eg we slso like vegas , NYC)

we found princess & celebrity to be fine "energy-wise" as you say. (although less than the Carnival booze cruise we once went on! lol)

wondering if we would find HAL a bit  TOO low-key...z-z-z-z-z-z...??

Edited by jargey3000

Nieuw Statendam may be the best choice for you.  I sailed on her this past Christmas.  I have also sailed on every other HA ship with the exception of 2 multiple times.  While daytime is low-key (think cooking demonstration, port lecture, bingo, and trivia), the evening has lots of choices.  Music Walk offers nightly entertainment in one of three lounges: Lincoln Center Stage (Queen's Lounge) with classical quintet who are excellent, BB King's Blues Club (also Queen's Lounge with large dance floor that's generally packed), Billboard Onboard with two singers/pianists belting out oldie Top 40 hits (some newer ones too), and the newest addition, Rolling Stones Rock Room with 4-5 piece rock band who play classical rock tunes.  This venue has a smaller dance floor, but few were dancing.  Most people just enjoyed listening.  All these venues, except for the classical quintet play three 45-minute sets a night.  The sets are staggered so that when you leave one set, you can wander over to the next one that starts up.  Since they are located close together, you aren't running all over the ship to catch a show.

There are two nightly performances at World Stage to accommodate early and late diners.  Two of the ones we saw featured a dance troupe with backdrops on the 180 degree screens that were most effective.  The other shows on our cruise starred a stand-up comic and a juggler, neither of whom were very impressive.  I've seen better.  Those of us who have traveled HA for years do so for the itineraries, not for the entertainment, although HA is working hard to improve in this area as is shown by the choices in the lounges.  Most passengers rate BB Kings as one of the best bands at sea, if not the best, and the entertainers in the other lounges on our cruise were the best I've heard in years.  

If you're looking for high production Broadway-style shows, HA may not be your best choice.  If you want an exceptional cruise experience with Old World ambiance, gracious service, good to excellent food, and a fabulous art collection, HA might be a good fit.  You won't know until you've tried it.  Let us know if you decide to go cruise on one of the "dam" ships.  Many here can answer almost any question you may have.

2 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

op here:

Interesting comment from Ken (above). unlike maybe a lot of trvallers, we live in a pretty boring town, so when we travel, we dont  go to" get away from it all" we go to kinda " get TO it all" LOL (eg we slso like vegas , NYC)

we found princess & celebrity to be fine "energy-wise" as you say. (although less than the Carnival booze cruise we once went on! lol)

wondering if we would find HAL a bit  TOO low-key...z-z-z-z-z-z...??

We just got off a 21 day b2b on the Celebrity Reflection and had a blast!! We had 4 sea days on the 10 day eastern Caribbean leg and 3 sea days on the 11 day western Caribbean leg. One thing we really liked was that they not only had great shows during the cruise, but also on the first day as well as the last day of each leg rather than maybe a movie as some other cruise lines now do. They also had 2 professional lectures each sea day, unlike HAL which only provides them on sea days when the itinerary is 15 days or longer (and not a b2b).

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We just got off a 21 day b2b on the Celebrity Reflection and had a blast!! We had 4 sea days on the 10 day eastern Caribbean leg and 3 sea days on the 11 day western Caribbean leg. One thing we really liked was that they not only had great shows during the cruise, but also on the first day as well as the last day of each leg rather than maybe a movie as some other cruise lines now do. They also had 2 professional lectures each sea day, unlike HAL which only provides them on sea days when the itinerary is 15 days or longer (and not a b2b).

You were on a 21 Celebrity day cruise - HAL offers enrichment lectures for longer cruises too. Though not necessarily when they are broken up into two 14 day segments.

However on my recent 7 day Eurodam there were a number of enrichment lectures offered through EXC which were independently appropriate for the local culture; not just shore excursions or port lectures. Enrichment offerings look like they are an evolving HAL policy these days.

2 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

You were on a 21 Celebrity day cruise - HAL offers enrichment lectures for longer cruises too. Though not necessarily when they are broken up into two 14 day segments.

However on my recent 7 day Eurodam there were a number of enrichment lectures offered through EXC which were independently appropriate for the local culture; not just shore excursions or port lectures. Enrichment offerings look like they are an evolving HAL policy these days.

OlsSalt, as I mentioned we were on a back-to-back (b2b) which included a 10 day leg and an 11 day leg with different lectures provided by professional speakers on each leg. Glad to hear HAL is starting to hire professional lecturers again to provide quality presentations on shorter cruises or are they just canned briefings provided by EXC employees?

OP: good info. folks thanks!

FWIW ...we're not too much interested in the lectures ... (get enough at home!!!  LOL)

or those "broadway-style" shows...mehhh...zzzzz

BUT ...anywhere featuring BB King, the Stones, classic rock etc. AND art.(as per sevenseas post above-thanks) has really gotten my attention!

BTW - do any of their other ships have these venues above, or just Statendam??

Edited by jargey3000

6 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

OP: good info. folks thanks!

FWIW ...we're not too much interested in the lectures ... (get enough at home!!!  LOL)

or those "broadway-style" shows...mehhh...zzzzz

BUT ...anywhere featuring BB King, the Stones, classic rock etc. AND art.(as per sevenseas post above-thanks) has really gotten my attention!

Then you’re going to have a great time on any HAL cruise. Happy cruising!!

We just returned from our first HAL cruise, and while there was a lot to like, we will probably not cruise with them again, honestly because of the older demographics of the passengers. We are 60'ish fun couple, love to cruise, gamble, enjoy the sun and the ports. We just found this cruise rather boring, other than the port days. The food was very good - i was especially impressed with the Lido buffet. The staff was great, the ship (Zuiderdam) was very nice.

We have only cruised with Carnival before this, and we're looking for an alternative to them (we're definitely over the hairy chest contests! 🙂) but this was one extreme to the other.

We're going to try Royal Caribbean next, hoping that's a little closer to our tastes.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:22 PM, jargey3000 said:

considering the Nieuw Amsterdam, as i think shes the newest, largest of the 3, BUT, I see she was "driven aground" in 2017? any comments on that?

is she safe 🙂?

We just got off Nieuw Amsterdam yesterday and she was a smooth rider and very safe. No issues even when we hit a few rough patches. Gorgeous ship, fantastic cruise with the best crew (we have been on other cruise lines and still think HALs staff and crew are the cream of the crop). 

She is however not the newest HAL lady. That distinction belongs to her lovely cousin Nieuw Statendam who was berthed kitty cat cornered across from us in Ft Lauderdale.

1 hour ago, ajtaylor29 said:

We just returned from our first HAL cruise, and while there was a lot to like, we will probably not cruise with them again, honestly because of the older demographics of the passengers. We are 60'ish fun couple, love to cruise, gamble, enjoy the sun and the ports. We just found this cruise rather boring, other than the port days. The food was very good - i was especially impressed with the Lido buffet. The staff was great, the ship (Zuiderdam) was very nice.

We have only cruised with Carnival before this, and we're looking for an alternative to them (we're definitely over the hairy chest contests! 🙂) but this was one extreme to the other.

We're going to try Royal Caribbean next, hoping that's a little closer to our tastes.

Luckily you have a lot of other  cruise line options for more lively onboard diversions. Those of us who actually seek out and like the HAL low-key onboard experience, have only HAL at the similar price point. HAL will fail a lot of customers if they try to be all things to all people and not maximiz what keeps them unique in the crowd - yes, the more quiet over-all cruising experience. That remains their special niche. They own that market now. However, even HAL is moving away from that prior niche with its newer ships their --noisydams.

Edited by OlsSalt
  • Like 1