Cruise Critic Community
Jimbo59

Princess vs. Holland America

Just a related BB King comment.  The first time we encountered a BB King group was on the Rotterdam (they are no longer on this ship after cut-backs) when we did the Voyage of the Vikings cruise a few years ago.  The group was great and the venue really "hopped" until after the last set....helped by a large group of European teens who gave some life to the ship (and I am a senior).  But the BB King played mostly rock and even old disco music.  One evening I met the group leader at the bar and I asked him if they could do a set of BB King music and some other Blues.  He told me that the group knows and loves blues music, but they had various "restrictions" on what they were supposed to play during their sets.  Late one night they actually did play one BB King number (dedicated to me).  

What confuses me is why HAL decided to call it a BB King group when they primarily play rock and disco.  Using the name, BB King, would lead any music lover to expect a fair amount of blues favorites.  

Hank

We've done 31 cruises on Princess and 8 on HAL.   Seven of the latter were between 2003 and 2011, but in May 2017 we did a TA on HAL's Zuiderdam because it offered us a new new ports like Cherbourg, France.  While it was a "quieter" experience than on a Princess TA, that's partly because of the fewer # of pax.  As an earlier poster mentioned HAL sometimes offers unique experiences one will never experience on a Princess ship and we had one of those.  One of our ports was Amsterdam.  We docked right near the train station because the ship was small enough to sail up the river.  As we sailed away, 3* pax and above  were invited to the bow of the ship (outside) for hot toddies, coffee, etc. and snacks.  It was a bit cool since we were moving, but it was a very nice experience.  Many of the officers were there, too.

5 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Many (not all) of Princess's desserts at the buffet are provided by an outside concern.

Didn't you even notice how similar they are from ship to ship? 

Why do you make stuff up that's so easily proved untrue?  On the Ultimate Ship Tour, with my very own eyes, I saw the pastry chef on Princess making desserts.   And duh, the reason the desserts are similar is because they use the same recipes.   Have you never cooked anything?  Just like the  eggplant parmigiana looks the same and the goat cheese souffle looks the same.  One chocolate chip cookie looks like another chocolate chip cookie. 

6 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

Many (not all) of Princess's desserts at the buffet are provided by an outside concern.

Didn't you even notice how similar they are from ship to ship? 

Only know they are made on the ship.  Our bartender's husband was  one whose job on the ship was to make them freshly each day.  :classic_wink:

15 hours ago, rdsqrl said:

Why do you make stuff up that's so easily proved untrue?  On the Ultimate Ship Tour, with my very own eyes, I saw the pastry chef on Princess making desserts. Which ones?   And duh, the reason the desserts are similar is because they use the same recipes.   Have you never cooked anything?  Just like the  eggplant parmigiana looks the same and the goat cheese souffle looks the same.  One chocolate chip cookie looks like another chocolate chip cookie. 

Yes, Princess does prepare some of them but many of the "standard" desserts that are put out at the buffet are purchased from an outside concern.

This is from someone who posts on this board, is in the restaurant business & knows it for a fact.  

And yes the cookies are baked on board. 

58 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

Yes, Princess does prepare some of them but many of the "standard" desserts that are put out at the buffet are purchased from an outside concern.

This is from someone who posts on this board, is in the restaurant business & knows it for a fact.  

And yes the cookies are baked on board. 

Personally, it is hard to believe that the huge quantity of desserts needed, esp on the Royal/Regal where there is a separate room for the desserts, could be loaded in FL or any of Princess's other ports.  Especially for a TA which can be 14-18 days long.  After all, they do have kitchens on the ships :classic_smile:.

Edited by BarbinMich

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

Personally, it is hard to believe that the huge quantity of desserts needed, esp on the Royal/Regal where there is a separate room for the desserts, could be loaded in FL or any of Princess's other ports.  Especially for a TA which can be 14-18 days long.  After all, they do have kitchens on the ships :classic_smile:.

They transport very easily when frozen. 

I usually don't eat them,  especially if I see something that they personally prepared which is definitely a better choice. All of the pies are made very thick so they freeze well & transport better. 

Hasn't anyone even noticed that on every Princess ship the buffet desserts are almost identical and all taste exactly the same. 

We've sailed plenty of times on both. We feel HAL continues to go downhill while Princess retains some level of consistency. My opinion is 90% of the cruise is based on what kind of crew you get. Crap crew = crap cruise. That formula has born out several times for us (on both lines mind you). We feel that the crews (and some of the line's changes e.g. less entertainment offerings, decline in food quality, etc.) are consistently going downhill on HAL. Princess has had a few bad cruises, but overall the consistency of "at least better than average" has held true for us. We've gotten to the point we won't take HAL anymore at all and focus on Princess (for a mass market line) with a dabbling of Crystal and Disney.

I have traveled on HAL twice in the past two years and will jot go back.  I do not like their restricted buffet dining times and the ship seem to go to bed after 9 PM.  During the day is seems like a rest home waiting area (IMO).