Cruise Critic Community
Aurora1525

Which Kinderdijk Windmills excursion is best on Viking?

I am going on Viking's Rhine Getaway itinerary in May. I'm trying to determine what excursion I should select to see the Kinderdijk windmills. Have any of you done any of the following excursions there? And if you know that one is definitely better than another one, that would be super helpful! Thank you!

1. Kinderdijk Windmills - this is the "included" tour - 2 hours. Is this enough time to truly enjoy the windmills?

2. Kinderdijk Windmills & Dutch Cheese Making - this one is listed as 4.5 hours long. Do you have plenty of time to enjoy both the windmills and the cheese?

3. Kinderdijk Windmills by Bicycle - My husband and I are in good shape. We're not worried about biking. How does it compare to the included tour?

4. Kinderdijk by Vintage Barge - 2.5 hours long. Viking lists this one as "privileged access." Is it really a great way to see the windmills?

We did the included tour. We had 4 couples in our group and, unfortunately we all thought it was the worst tour of our cruise. It was boring. The headsets were not picking up the tour guide and even though he was told about it several times - he did not care. We got to go inside one of the windmills and that was very interesting. The area is also quite lovely. We all left the tour and just did some shopping and headed back to the ship.

we did the included and it good not great....but our guide was personable and knowledgeable....which always makes the difference!

We took the included tour and we enjoyed it, however it rained the entire time we were there. The weather in The Netherlands, especially near the North Sea, can be rainy. As it was explained to us, the purpose of the windmills is to get rid of water. There is way too much of it. Not sure I would risk signing up for a bike tour many weeks in advance.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Three years ago in early April we did a similar tour from Vantage in Kinderdijk.  It involved a walking tour plus a small-boat excursion through some of the canals. The weather was freezing and windy with occasional burst of rain. A fascinating place but all of us were shivering and lined up at the dock waiting when the ship returned for us several hours later.  So, I guess I am saying that unless the weather is cooperating, I would go for the shortest tour available.

Edited by lynncarol

I would like to see some discussion of the

Kinderdijk Barge Windmill tour

thank you 

We did the included tour in April of 2017, and thought that it was very good!

It didn't hurt that the weather was absolutely picture perfect 🙂

Jeff

34036440805_8c3a574ba5_k.jpg

33995648216_c5682ec6a3_k.jpg

Just returned from Viking Tulips and Windmills last month- the included tour allows plenty of time to visit the windmills.  Its a short walk (5 minutes) walk from the ship to the windmills. I have attached pic from the top of the road next to where the ship was docked. 

IMG_0184.JPG

On 2/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, Aurora1525 said:

I am going on Viking's Rhine Getaway itinerary in May. I'm trying to determine what excursion I should select to see the Kinderdijk windmills. Have any of you done any of the following excursions there? And if you know that one is definitely better than another one, that would be super helpful! Thank you!

1. Kinderdijk Windmills - this is the "included" tour - 2 hours. Is this enough time to truly enjoy the windmills?

2. Kinderdijk Windmills & Dutch Cheese Making - this one is listed as 4.5 hours long. Do you have plenty of time to enjoy both the windmills and the cheese?

3. Kinderdijk Windmills by Bicycle - My husband and I are in good shape. We're not worried about biking. How does it compare to the included tour?

4. Kinderdijk by Vintage Barge - 2.5 hours long. Viking lists this one as "privileged access." Is it really a great way to see the windmills?

We just got back from our Rhine Getaway and enjoyed the Kinderdijk stop very much. We went with the included tour and felt that we were able to see everything. Our guide walked us along the canal to a restored windmill that you could go into - the rest are not available for such up-close inspections. After 20 minutes or so, we went to a workshop and learned more about how windmills work and how they're made. If you wanted more time with the windmills, there's nothing to stop you from skipping this last bit and just walking around. Make sure to tell your guide you're going AWOL and be sure to be back on the ship before it leaves. 

Option 2 leaves the boat much earlier than the others (our boat stopped in Rotterdam just long enough for those going on the tour to disembark). Should have allowed plenty of time for cheese and windmills. This was also Amsterdam -> Basel and if you're doing the reverse direction, maybe the timing is different. 

Both options 3 and 4 made their way to the Blokweer polder windmill - which is generally like the other windmills except... well, I don't exactly know how it's different, other than its shape, since I forgot to ask our guide. I don't know if you get to see the interior of the other restored windmill that you would visit on option 1. It seemed a bit farther away - probably not walkable within the time available before the boat leaves the dock. 

I am signed up for the bike tour in June.  Have communicated with Viking and they told me the bike ride is about 3.5 miles and the bikes have pedal brakes, like the cruiser I am used to riding.  If you decide to do the bike excursion, please report back as there isn't much on the boards about it.

We took the included tour in April and thought it was good.  Our guide works as a "miller" which means she is trained and certified to operate a windmill and had a lot of good info.  One of the best tours on the cruise.

We did the windmills and cheese last September, and liked it a lot.  Cool and sunny day. 

The cheese portion is to a private cheese producer, family owned.  It was an informative tour led by the daughter of the original owner, who has returned from the corporate world to the family business.  Of course, there is a shop to sample and purchase several varieties and ages of their cheese.  

The windmill portion was beautiful to see, but less informative.  We toured inside one windmill, and walked thru the area with our guide.  image.thumb.png.e1fa333ed59ebe10a110084251e2ace0.png

We had a good day, and I'd recommend it.

We have done both of these, we enjoyed both but the Dutch Cheese making was wonderful, and we got to meet the farmer and his daughter, along with the dairy cows, and the farmers dogs.   If you do #2 then you also do #1.   As at the end of the Dutch Cheese Making they bus you back and you do the same Windmill tour.  Both Viking ships we were on moored basically across the road/levy from the windmills.  #1 you're basically just walking across the road to the windmills and doing the guided tour.

On tour #2 you can taste and buy cheese, and get a bus ride to see some of the area.