Quick passport renewal?

fstuff1

my passport expires in Nov of this year.

there's a 6month validity rule to fly internationally, meaning the latest i can fly to/from the US without renewing passport is April 30.

it takes 2-3 weeks for expedited renewal according to the Postal Service, including mail time (i think).

https://www.usps.com/international/passports.htm#renew

problem is that i have a cruise later this month, a 11day cruise in march, and a 11day cruise in the beginning of April.

and i WANT to take a transatlantic on the Getaway from ny - england on April 27- May 9.

i dont want to risk my already booked cruises by mailing my passport for renewal inbetween cruises. 

i only have 3weeks at most inbetween cruises.

Any other options?

(I live in VA)

https://www.usa.gov/passport#item-34927

Here is the link for the government website that provides you with the information that you need. It looks like you qualify for expedited processing . Of course for a fee. But based on where you live you’ll likely have to go in person to an approved site. Good luck!

Edited by OBSESSIVEWORLDTRAVELER

8 minutes ago, OBSESSIVEWORLDTRAVELER said:

https://www.usa.gov/passport#item-34927

Here is the link for the government website that provides you with the information that you need. It looks like you qualify for expedited processing . Of course for a fee. But based on where you live you’ll likely have to go in person to an approved site. Good luck!

unfortunately, i havent booked  my May transatlantic cruise yet so i dont have proof of traveling after the 6month validity rule.

and I wont book till the  price drops to $50/day or less for solos, which usually means a week before sail.

i rather not wait till the last minute, if i can help it.

Edited by fstuff1

I thought that rule, required by various countries, only applied to staying in one of those countries.  For just cruise ship cruising use, only not expired applied.   And then I could be wrong.   Oooops...didn't see the flying part.  Don't know.   

Edited by roger001
  • Like 1

I had a similar problem last summer. I downloaded the forms, had my picture taken at CVS, then dropped off the passport etc at the post office. I sent it certified. I had my new passport within a week. My old passport wasn’t returned for about a month. Make sure you take pictures of your old passport before you send it off. 

In the old days it took about 6 weeks to get a new passport. Perhaps I was just lucky. I sent it from  podunk post office in VA. 

You live in Virginia - close to Washington D.C. ?

Check out this LINK:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies/washington.html

You may be able to get almost same/next day service to renew your Passport.

Traveling soon and need the numbers and data off your present passport to process the NCL documents - go ahead

and use that info and when you receive you renewed passport update the dates and new passport number.

You certainly have enough time to do all this without the expensive expedited absolutely positively need it overnight service !

"BUT" don't put it off and leave it for another day - Presidents Day Holiday coming up reduces your time envelope by

a day and who knows what befalls our goofy partisan/grid locked government and leader with a SHUT-DOWN on the wall.

Not really related to NCL, but ... 

You can cruise NCL with other valid & acceptable ID/documents, i.e. US birth certificate, unless you are a naturalized citizens and/or born abroad, etc. 

Mrs. M renewed hers just before last Thanksgiving and the DOS timeframe was 4 to 6 weeks, but end-to-end was just 2 clicks over 2 week with Thanksgiving in between.  We just finished a NCL cruise in the first week of November, mailed it out shortly thereafter ... and, got it back in our possession ... could've easily book an early December NCL cruise, last minute & the prices were dirt cheap - for other unrelated reasons, didn't hit "Go"   Waited till early January to cruise again.

Unless hit by another partial federal shutdown with more backlogs, you should be able to pull it off between next Monday & early March, just in time.  Make sure your photos are compliant, renewal forms filled out properly & fees enclosed for expedited return & with tracking - send it out next Monday.   We used USPS Priority 2 Day, tracking was fine & it came back 2 weeks later ... odds are good to get yours back by March 1st.  Processing time was given as 4 to 6 weeks routinely then, just like now - DOS's status given here as a guide: 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/processing-times.html

Or - as posted above already - depending on your whereabouts in VA - following the steps & guidelines to make sure you meet, schedule an online Appointment with the DOS Passport Agency Office in downtown DC ... you will need to make a personal trip to go there & apply in person, pay an extra $60 fee on top, within 2 to 3 weeks of your next/upcoming cruise, with your cruise ticket as proof, and get it processed & returned to you.  I did that once in DC years ago while living & working there. 

Thankfully, here in NY - we have and I just renewed my EDL since it's accepted for land/border crossings & certain cruises ... looked like VA is following as the newer REAL ID regs are coming in 2020. 

There are a # of recent posts from CC'ers on other lines, do a filtered search & it will come up - 

Edited by mking8288

This is a better resource for entering the US, you'll have a valid passport for both ends of the trip, so you'll be fine. I advise renewing as soon as you return to make things easier since you like to travel/fly outside of the US.

image.png.96936c1a304f188da7eeb6610a11623a.png

I lost my passport a week before heading to Japan for an event I planned. My boss was like "do whatever you have to do". I had already made an appointment at a regional passport office, had an old passport and travel confirmation for the business trip and had my new passport book and new passport card the next day, went to pick it up, didn't risk a mail mix up.

I usually put my passport in the cabin safe and take the passport card with me ashore. It isn't valid for international flights, but it is a government issued photo ID that confirms my citizenship.

I believe the 6 month validity period is a NCL imposed restriction.

Some of the airlines have the same rule regards to certain foreign countries.

Thing to avoid is being in a foreign country and having the passport expired.

As previously posted you can get back into the country with a degree of hassle

but some foreign countries may not treat you so well with expired documents.

The 6 month rule is to safe guard your travel from unpleasant circumstances.

It is a bummer to have to renew now with 8-9 months of time remaining on the

existing passport and not getting any credit for it. But that is the way it works.

Our government has never been user friendly. The passport however is good

for ten years from when issued - more than enough time to enjoy many many

cruises and other foreign travel.

13 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

my passport expires in Nov of this year.

there's a 6month validity rule to fly internationally, meaning the latest i can fly to/from the US without renewing passport is April 30.

it takes 2-3 weeks for expedited renewal according to the Postal Service, including mail time (i think).

https://www.usps.com/international/passports.htm#renew

problem is that i have a cruise later this month, a 11day cruise in march, and a 11day cruise in the beginning of April.

and i WANT to take a transatlantic on the Getaway from ny - england on April 27- May 9.

i dont want to risk my already booked cruises by mailing my passport for renewal inbetween cruises. 

i only have 3weeks at most inbetween cruises.

Any other options?

(I live in VA)

We renewed our passports a few years ago and didn't expedite and they came in less than a month.  I believe you can go to firms that specialize in this.

https://www.uspassportnow.com/passportapplicationservices/?matchtype=e&keyword=expedited passport renewal&network=o&device=c&msclkid=223fbab2bea91110a3b1e6d2f8a764f9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Passport Renewal_Exact&utm_term=expedited passport renewal&utm_content=Exact

https://www.expresspassport.com/?utm_creative=e&msclkid=7835c60d9b4d105ed4f09a6ddd2b926f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=4%20%20Expedite&utm_term=expedited%20us%20passport&utm_content=Expedited%20US%20Passport

The State Department offers great advice.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements/where-to-apply/passport-agencies.html

I once lost our passports in NYc and had a cruise in less than a month.  It cost us almost $400 to get it quicker but it can be done. We were once on a TA and  a couple of couples Brazillian Visa was ready to expire and the ship left them all in Gilbralter.

If you go to the travel state .gov website you can call them and they will let you know what countries pertain to that 6-month rule. The website also lets you know the current processing times. I believe it is 4-6 weeks now.  I had to renew my sons, his expires  in July 2019. We are traveling in May. They are very helpful when you call. Maybe you can explain your situation to them and maybe they have other suggestion.  I had called when the gov was shut down and they told me that the shut down did not affect the processing times of the passport.

FWIW I recently had to get an updated passport to reflect my married name. It was about 6 weeks before my cruise and the estimated turnaround time was 3.5 / 4 weeks. Even still, I was stressed, so I paid to expedite it. I got my  new passport in under 2 weeks. Read the requirements for payment to save yourself time before you get to the clerks' office (Part of the payment for renewal needs to be a check or MO made out the state department; some of the smaller fees will be payable to your local government office). Your old passport will be sent off priority mail with tracking, and when the expedite office receives your request for the new passport, you can track progress online by entering your social and a few credentials. This soothed my nerves a little as I was able to monitor the expected shipping date and see when my "New" passport was on its way to me.