Your First Princess Cruise

MsSoCalCruiser

18 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

These links show the Island before & after the changes and the Coral is still the before & why I enjoy it much more.

Post 119:   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2046655-what-will-island-princess-look-like-after-may-2015/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-44175560

Post 133:   https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2046655-what-will-island-princess-look-like-after-may-2015/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-44184567

Another option for motion sickness is OTC generic Bonine...meclizine.  My wife gets all types of motion sickness (as a kid she got it on swingset) & with meclizine has enjoyed about 50 cruises in all types of conditions.  Just another option that you could explore...the patch is by prescription & it gave her side affects which has never happened with meclizine.

That is disappointing; I can see why people are so unhappy with the changes. 

Your poor wife. Motion sickness is horrible.  I should probably carry some meclizine just in case I ever need it. Does your wife suffer any side effects with it? 

11 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

That is disappointing; I can see why people are so unhappy with the changes. 

Your poor wife. Motion sickness is horrible.  I should probably carry some meclizine just in case I ever need it. Does your wife suffer any side effects with it? 

Meclizine is an antihistamine which can create some drowsiness in some people but not for her.  She enjoys wine with dinner & still doesn’t feel drowsy.  It’s best to use before any motion sickness symptoms are felt...best to prevent it.  She takes it at night so if there’s any drowsiness that’s not a bad thing for her at bedtime. ☺️ 😴

Being a generic it costs pennies per tablet but onboard as Bonine it’s about $1 each.  It’s also the same ingredient as in Dramamine Less Drowsy.

• Like 1

My first "official" Princess cruise was on the Star Princess in November 2015 on a repositioning from Vancouver to Los Angeles during the Golden Anniversary season.  While on board I learned that Princess Cruises' origin came from the chartering of the Canadian Pacific's coastal steamer the Princess Patricia on winter runs along the Mexican Riviera in the winter of 1965/66.  While reading about that beginning, I realised that it was the winter that my grandfather, who was a chief steward for Canadian Pacific's coastal steamer network in British Columbia, was away to Mexico on the Princess Pat, the sister ship of the Princess Marguerite, his regular ship.  I recalled the fantastic leather coat that he brought back for me, along with a handful of pesos, and understood that my first Princess cruise was on the Marguerite sailing with my grandfather on a round trip between Victoria, BC and Port Angeles, WA when I was 5 years old.  Have sailed on the Ruby since, and will be on board her again in just 5 weeks with some wonderful friends on a Hawaiian adventure.  Looking forward to more Princess memories!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MiniMark said:

My first "official" Princess cruise was on the Star Princess in November 2015 on a repositioning from Vancouver to Los Angeles during the Golden Anniversary season.  While on board I learned that Princess Cruises' origin came from the chartering of the Canadian Pacific's coastal steamer the Princess Patricia on winter runs along the Mexican Riviera in the winter of 1965/66.  While reading about that beginning, I realised that it was the winter that my grandfather, who was a chief steward for Canadian Pacific's coastal steamer network in British Columbia, was away to Mexico on the Princess Pat, the sister ship of the Princess Marguerite, his regular ship.  I recalled the fantastic leather coat that he brought back for me, along with a handful of pesos, and understood that my first Princess cruise was on the Marguerite sailing with my grandfather on a round trip between Victoria, BC and Port Angeles, WA when I was 5 years old.  Have sailed on the Ruby since, and will be on board her again in just 5 weeks with some wonderful friends on a Hawaiian adventure.  Looking forward to more Princess memories!!

What a wonderful story. Enjoy your cruise! 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:02 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Meclizine is an antihistamine which can create some drowsiness in some people but not for her.  She enjoys wine with dinner & still doesn’t feel drowsy.  It’s best to use before any motion sickness symptoms are felt...best to prevent it.  She takes it at night so if there’s any drowsiness that’s not a bad thing for her at bedtime. ☺️ 😴

Being a generic it costs pennies per tablet but onboard as Bonine it’s about $1 each.  It’s also the same ingredient as in Dramamine Less Drowsy.

Thank you Astro Flyer.   Does your wife only take the meclizine in the evening? She doesn’t need to take it again during the day? 

Our first Princess cruise was the Caribbean Princess, January 2015. It was our 2nd cruise, our first being with Celebrity. I needed a vacation, decided to look at cruise prices (we were hooked on cruising the moment we boarded the Constellation), and found this phenomenal deal-5 nights to Cozumel and Costa Maya, balcony cabin, $100 pp OBC, for $249 pp. It was almost like cruising for free! We then sailed the Royal in 2016, Regal in 2017, and 2 Celebrity cruises after that. Going on our 4th Princess cruise, on the Coral, to Alaska May 8 2019. 

• Like 1

Our first Princess Cruise was a B2B2B2B  on the Golden Princess around the  Caribbean.   We have sailed on the Golden a few times since then, and the Grand and Crown.  We will be sailing on the Sapphire this year. 

We  sailed with other cruise lines before and since, but keep coming back to Princess.   I haven't tried all the ships yet so i can't choose my favourite.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you Astro Flyer.   Does your wife only take the meclizine in the evening? She doesn’t need to take it again during the day? 

She takes a 12.5 mg tablet twice daily while at sea; once daily when in port.  It’s also available in scored 25 mg tablets which can be split.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kimlovesfl said:

Our first Princess cruise was the Caribbean Princess, January 2015. It was our 2nd cruise, our first being with Celebrity. I needed a vacation, decided to look at cruise prices (we were hooked on cruising the moment we boarded the Constellation), and found this phenomenal deal-5 nights to Cozumel and Costa Maya, balcony cabin, $100 pp OBC, for $249 pp. It was almost like cruising for free! We then sailed the Royal in 2016, Regal in 2017, and 2 Celebrity cruises after that. Going on our 4th Princess cruise, on the Coral, to Alaska May 8 2019. 

What an unbelievable price! Lucky you! 

21 minutes ago, cabin4three said:

Our first Princess Cruise was a B2B2B2B  on the Golden Princess around the  Caribbean.   We have sailed on the Golden a few times since then, and the Grand and Crown.  We will be sailing on the Sapphire this year. 

We  sailed with other cruise lines before and since, but keep coming back to Princess.   I haven't tried all the ships yet so i can't choose my favourite.

I would love to try B2B... some day, some day.

First Princess cruise was on the Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera 2008.  It was our wedding cruise, we were married by the captain.  He gave us sage advice on our marriage by telling us to drink heavily.  Just celebrated our 10th anniversary, so it must be good advice to follow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Great information. Thank you so much for sharing this with me. Much appreciated. 

Happy to share what works best for my wife which she confirmed with her doctor that it was safe for her to take.

Even OTC meds can interact with our health but for her the antihistamine meclizine is a safe & effective treatment without the side affects of the prescription patches.  Bonine (meclizine) was sold in the onboard gift shop so Princess believes it’s a safe & effective way treat Mal de Mer! 

• Thanks 1

We were on the Sea Princess back in 1999? or 98. I think 99. It was her 3rd voyage or so. We flew in from Nebraska during a blizzard THAT MORNING!! No one even thought that we wouldn't get there ! We went to the Western Caribbean - Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It was another 10 years until we took another one - the Caribbean Princess to New England. Will be back on her in the fall for a 10 day NE - can't wait!

What a fun memory! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amypete said:

We were on the Sea Princess back in 1999? or 98. I think 99. It was her 3rd voyage or so. We flew in from Nebraska during a blizzard THAT MORNING!! No one even thought that we wouldn't get there ! We went to the Western Caribbean - Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. It was another 10 years until we took another one - the Caribbean Princess to New England. Will be back on her in the fall for a 10 day NE - can't wait!

What a fun memory! 

I’m happy to hear that you didn’t miss the ship! 

2 hours ago, FishinChris said:

First Princess cruise was on the Sapphire Princess, Mexican Riviera 2008.  It was our wedding cruise, we were married by the captain.  He gave us sage advice on our marriage by telling us to drink heavily.  Just celebrated our 10th anniversary, so it must be good advice to follow.

Happy 10th Wedding Anniversary!

On 2/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Our Dawn Princess cruise was still enjoyable...does anyone know whether Princess had the nightly pasta course prior to merging with Sitmar?

So Princess had an Italian dining room operation on Pacific and Island Princess prior to the Sitmar merger.  The ships, which were Norwegian-flagged before Princess (P&O) bought them had Norwegian officers but Italian galley and dining room staff.  When Princess bought them outright, they were re-flagged to the UK and got British officers, but the Italian dining room/galley staff remained.  Their food was held in high regard in the industry at the time.

And, for the record, my first Princess cruise was on the original Pacific Princess in 2000.  Another followed in 2002 and then Grand Princess in 2003.  On that trip we were docked in St. Maarten and I went out on my balcony, looked across the pier and DOWN on the MV Pacific, the old Pacific Princess!  We towered over her - she was tiny in comparison!

Our first cruise ever was on the Coral Princess, a 10 night Panama cruise in 2016. We enjoyed it so much we booked the Grand to Hawaii and back for our 40th anniversary in 2017. Last week we completed a 10 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Crown.

Of the 3 we've been on, I think the Grand was my favorite. The Coral was great, but did not care for the location of the Horizon Court buffet, too much motion.  The Crown was a wonderful ship also, just too crowded for my taste. The Grand was just right!

Really love these older ships with the full promenade deck. I have no desire to sail on the newer behemoths with no promenade deck!