Cash tips

mfs2k

2 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

Do the staff on Celebrity share cash tips or if you give extra to your bartender, waiter or steward for going above and beyond, do they get to keep it?

Congrats! We were told that the staff keeps all gratuities given in cash to them.

I hope that is still the the way it goes.

The Michael’s Club host told us they keep all cash but auto grats and anything added to a check, or extra amount  from SBC is shared with  others in that group.    Many BTs will also split cash with the other BTs at the bar with them.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

6 hours ago, miched said:

The Michael’s Club host told us they keep all cash but auto grats and anything added to a check, or extra amount  from SBC is shared with  others in that group.    Many BTs will also split cash with the other BTs at the bar with them.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

My understanding also; except if a guest removes the auto grats - then the room steward and wait staff must turn the cash into the pool.

10 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

That is not what several employees have told us.  Where did you get your info?

This is the norm in the US service industries. Whether it's the "norm" on the ship or not is unclear, but likely. Do you want your drinks faster? Share with the bartender. Do you want a table cleaned faster so you look good? Share with the busboy. Mandatory tipping pools are allowed under US law, which obviously doesn't apply on the ships, but that's effectively what the autotips accomplish.

And the answer to "Do you get to keep this?" when someone's offering you a cash tip is "yes"...

1 minute ago, markeb said:

This is the norm in the US service industries. Whether it's the "norm" on the ship or not is unclear, but likely. Do you want your drinks faster? Share with the bartender. Do you want a table cleaned faster so you look good? Share with the busboy. Mandatory tipping pools are allowed under US law, which obviously doesn't apply on the ships, but that's effectively what the autotips accomplish.

And the answer to "Do you get to keep this?" when someone's offering you a cash tip is "yes"...

I don't really think that anyone on this forum knows either way.😃

1 minute ago, Husky61 said:

I don't really think that anyone on this forum knows either way.😃

And I won't disagree with that :classic_biggrin:.

(Although there are probably some former cruise line employees around here who do know, but they generally aren't saying.)

I generally quickly try to find a favorite bartender....one who will be at my favorite bar at my schedule.   have asked them in the past and was told that he/she was able to keep cash tips as they were putting it in their pocket. 

also take care of my stateroom attendant first day of the cruise.  

Edited by disneydave

9 hours ago, mfs2k said:

Do the staff on Celebrity share cash tips or if you give extra to your bartender, waiter or steward for going above and beyond, do they get to keep it?

Please be advised that there is no CONSISTENT policy, and that the final destination of your cash tips will vary greatly from ship to ship, and from venue to venue.

We have found that the most reliable source of information is the hotel manager. If it is your wish to see your cash tips shared/pooled, or if it is your wish to see your cash tips retained by the individual to whom it is given, then you are wise to ask the hotel manager how to best realize your wishes. And it's best to accept that the wishes that have been embraced by the "team" will preempt what your wishes might be. We recently gave a generous cash tip to our Elite Happy hour bartender, and let it be known that we wanted it to be his and his alone. He graciously told us that his team had elected to pool all extra tips, and we were happy with that choice, even though it went against our desire that those $$ were to go to just him.

😎

I was told by Luminea waiter that the cash tip I gave him would be pooled and split up with everyone.

I asked him because I wanted to know if I needed to see the busboy or not.

Hope he didn't keep all the money for himself. 

I think all you can do is ask. Who knows.