zitsky

Transfer from airport to ship in Venice

I've done air deviation and might have to go from Venice airport to the ship.  Is it easy?  How is it done?  I imagine a transfer to a water taxi at some point.  Location of the ship should be in the docs sent out a few weeks before the cruise?

If you've never been to Venice, there's nothing like taking a water taxi to the island for the first time:-)

However, there are buses/cars/shuttles which go from the airport to the cruise terminal. No water taxi needed. Much more economical and straightforward.

Robin

I have to go with the water taxi too.  Docks right near the airport terminal and delivery to the ship.  Feel like a movie star on the approach to Venice.  Cabs, bus, tram, etc. are all similar to any airport in the world.  Water taxis scream Venice.  The Vaporetto (basically a bus on water) is also available and is much cheaper but can take an hour or more to get where you want.  Also not much fun schlepping bags on and off.  Have done both but if I am spending Venice type money anyway, what's another hundred Euros?😳🍸

From the airport how do you get a water taxi to the cruise terminal?  Are there signs?

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

From the airport how do you get a water taxi to the cruise terminal?  Are there signs?

When we did this, I made reservations in advance, so everything was paid for. Motoscafi is well known and receives very high marks. I just did a dummy reservation, and it is 130 euros to get from the airport to the cruise terminal. There are well marked signs at the airport re: how to get to the water taxis, and there are also some info stations within the airport. It is a little bit of a walk from the terminal to the water, but, again, the ride is so worth it!

Robin

It turns out that Viking will take care of my transfer in Venice.  But I'd like to leave this info here for anyone who needs it.

Just to expand a bit in case it helps others in the future: Usually the quickest way to the port from the airport is the airport bus that goes nonstop or almost non-stop down to Piazalle Roma, where you take the People Mover (like a monorail, I guess) a short way to where the actual berth where the cruise ship is assigned to dock.  Then you have a short or shortish (depending upon berth) walk with luggage to your ship. 

The Alilaguna water boat (public boat, not a private water taxi) goes from the airport (a slight bit of a walk, I hear) to the port, where you may have to walk a tiny bit to the actual cruise ship berth that Viking has been assigned for your cruise.  Alilaguna is an inexpensive way to get to the airport, but not a particularly fast way.  After a long flight or pair of flights, I opted for the bus - caught right outside the airport, after buying a ticket inside.  They take your luggage.     

Just keep in mind that not all water boats are the same.  The white ACTV water boats are public "buses" and the orange Alilaguna boats are run by a separate company, but basically like the ACTV water boats.  Make sure you know which is which, as there are water boat police who give tickets on the spot if you can't produce a ticket for the right company! 

Water taxis are the other way to go, as described above.    I guess there are also regular land taxis at the airport, but I think they have to leave you at Piazalle Roma, where you would take the short People Mover ride for a euro or two. 

If you don't have a transfer with Viking (for example, if you're doing your flights on your own), I think you can buy a transfer from Viking, which would probably be the simplest way to go other than water taxi - and you wouldn't have to drag your luggage around.  

Venice is complicated, but oh so worth the hassle!

Edited by roothy123