Cruise Critic Community
disneykins

Bringing wine on board

What does NCL do if you bring a bottle of wine on board? Confiscate it and return at end of cruise? Confiscate it and keep it? Charge you a corkage fee, whether you open it or not? The reason I ask is we have an occasion after our cruise that we have a special bottle of wine for, so we want to take it onboard and bring it off the ship with us after the cruise.

Thanks,

Tony

17 minutes ago, disneykins said:

What does NCL do if you bring a bottle of wine on board? Confiscate it and return at end of cruise? Confiscate it and keep it? Charge you a corkage fee, whether you open it or not? The reason I ask is we have an occasion after our cruise that we have a special bottle of wine for, so we want to take it onboard and bring it off the ship with us after the cruise.

Thanks,

Tony

Tony,

You have two choices:

1) pay a $15 per bottle corkage fee and you can enjoy your wine at any restaurant or bar.  No gratuity is charged on it.

2) have your wine kept for you to pickup when disembarking at the end of the cruise so you take it with you.

Hmm. I know if you want to pay corkage to use the wine on board, you keep it with you and declare it at check-in. If you want them to return it, perhaps you could pack it (carefully) in your checked luggage, so that they will confiscate it. I'm sure you'll be called to the naughty room. You should be able to pick up your wine upon exit (where they keep the luggage before customs). If your time is worth more than money, pay the $15 corkage and be done with it!

(It sounds like the above poster has done this before, so take my answer with a grain of salt!)

Edited by senoragilbert

I'd follow post #2 option #1 especially if it's a "special bottle of wine"...... look at the $15 as insurance to keep it safe and no chance of it being lost or broken in storage. 

Must pay corkage regardless of it being consumed or not. 

My understanding, unless policy has changed, is that if you have a bottle of wine you paid corkage for and you didn't drink it you can go to guest services and get the fifteen bucks refunded before disembarking.

Edited by ColinIllinois

58 minutes ago, senoragilbert said:

Hmm. I know if you want to pay corkage to use the wine on board, you keep it with you and declare it at check-in. If you want them to return it, perhaps you could pack it (carefully) in your checked luggage, so that they will confiscate it. I'm sure you'll be called to the naughty room. You should be able to pick up your wine upon exit (where they keep the luggage before customs). If your time is worth more than money, pay the $15 corkage and be done with it!

(It sounds like the above poster has done this before, so take my answer with a grain of salt!)

All you need to do is take it with you in your carry on and just let them know you want them to store it for you. You pick it up on the final evening.

Edited by KeithJenner

$15 corkage fee is actually a pretty small fee. I've had to pay corkage fee of $25 a few times at restaraunts.

2 hours ago, ColinIllinois said:

My understanding, unless policy has changed, is that if you have a bottle of wine you paid corkage for and you didn't drink it you can go to guest services and get the fifteen bucks refunded before disembarking.

I had heard that as well..... I brought wine on board, didn't drink it and tried to get the $15 refunded. Told by Guest Services that they no long did that because it was found customers had been filling the bottles with water and resealing the bottles ("homemade wine" bottles were specifically mentioned).....  definitely worth a shot to get the $15 back but don't be upset if they say no.   BTW: mine were mainstream bottles purchased at a store with normal seal, etc.