Ama Serena Cabin Comparison (French Balcony vs Outside Balcony)

gjkov

Has anyone stayed in both C (French Balcony) and BB (Outside Balcony) cabins? While subjective do you believe the extra space of a BB cabin is worthwhile? Does the stated square footage include the outdoor balcony?

Violin vs Cello deck? Location on the deck? Port or Starboard?

We’ll be doing a Christmas Market cruise on the Danube, our first on a river ship. So any information or guidance about cabin selection is greatly appreciated.

Judy

GJkov

We sailed on the Serena on a Christmas market sailing (mind you have always have a balcony on our ocean sailings) - quite honestly no need for it. Doubt you will spend any time on it (we did not) and we actually had great weather (meaning no rain or snow). Would much rather have the extra floor space for the cabin. 

We sailed with our two college age daughters - cabin across from us - they did not use theirs at all either! We were mid ship cabins 323 and 324 so we were on both sides of the ship. No real difference and no noise from above or below.

Would sail on Serena again in a heartbeat!

Any questions - ask away - would love to provide any answers but found these boards extremely helpful!

Category C cabins are at the back of AmaSerena, a location that sometimes gets complains about engine noise.  Category BB are better located and also somewhat larger (210 sf vs 170).  But my choice would be category AB which has what I consider the best location (middle deck, middle of ship) and is even larger (235 sf).  More space is always welcome, IMHO.

We stayed in a BB cabin on the Cello Deck on AmaSerena for a Christmas Markets cruise.  The room was very comfortable and quiet.  The balcony was nice, but it was too cold to sit outside.  As far as the room size, we didn't spend much time in there as the lounge as a nice place to hang out.

Agree with all... no need to pay extra for a full balcony.  We always cruise in a balcony on ocean liners but would have not used it on Christmas Markets cruise.  It was way too cold to even open the french balcony.  I did appreciate having it available in case I wanted some fresh, brisk air... and the views are amazing if you are in your cabin.  Otherwise, the lounge offers wonderful views of all the amazing scenery.  

I have stayed in both Fr Balcony and Balcony. I went in nice weather. Can't say I ever used the balcony. When you are in port, you tend to be tethered to other boats, so you have no view. I tended to spend my time either on the deck on top, in the lounge area or in the area outside in front of the lounge. It is nice to have that extra room, but I didn't miss it too much.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and advice! We’ve booked the French Balcony cabin closest to mid ship on the Violin Deck (325), while our friends have the BA cabin next door. So we’ll be able to see and experience them both.

I can't see spending the money on a "real" balcony. For one thing, that space for the balcony has to come from somewhere- like your cabin- as the ships can only be so wide to fit into the locks.   Avalon's ships are about 90% French balconies (all cabins other than the lower lever "Aquarium class" cabins." )  You can pull a chair up to the rail on the French balcony and have every benefit of a real balcony with the added benefit of all those extra dollars still in your wallet.  There is so much open space all over the ship, you don't need a personal balcony.  Another thing to consider is that every time you pass through the locks, the exterior is overrun with bugs!  We made the mistake- once- of leaving our sliding glass balcony door open, with the light on inside the cabin, and came back to find thousands of tiny little bugs flying around the room.