Newark Airport to Brooklyn pier

cheeseclan

We are planning on flying into EWR to see family and then getting the transfer from the EWR airport to the ship.   My TA is saying that Princess will do it but it is not the preferred airport.  Has anyone used the Princess transfer from EWR to Brooklyn before?  Looked at other options and they were expensive although uber was about $70 for now.  Who knows what it will be on a Monday morning.

Edited by cheeseclan

Hopefully you won't be coming early during rush hour. Coming from New Jersey into NYC going over bridges is full of traffic in the AM!!

Really not the best way to start a cruise!! I'd ask "family" to drive you as that would be the least expensive way to go.

There should be info on this on the NY home port board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=ewr to brooklyn&type=forums_topic&nodes=317

I am an X NYrker myself which is why I tried to answer this question although I have not sailed from that port.

Edited by riffatsea

15 minutes ago, cheeseclan said:

We are planning on flying into EWR to see family and then getting the transfer from the EWR airport to the ship.   My TA is saying that Princess will do it but it is not the preferred airport.  Has anyone used the Princess transfer from EWR to Brooklyn before?  Looked at other options and they were expensive although uber was about $70 for now.  Who knows what it will be on a Monday morning.

Not sure what your TA means by that statement as Princess uses EWR/LGA/JFK.

We have use the transfer before and it is good to have the security of the cruise line for the transport.

It works well.

Personally we would use Uber/Lyft now unless you are short on time arriving EWR.

We used to use a car service.

Thanks to all who responded.  Agree we don't usually use the Princess transfers but probably will since it would most likely be the easiest.   Have used my TA for over 15 years and she says there is a note that says LGA preferred airport, JFK okay and EWR not recommended.  The transfer is in my booking for now going to pier and also at the other end in Quebec to the airport there.

Family will not drive us to pier since they do not drive into NYC.  Don't blame them.

Not certain why the TA says that EWR is not recommended as it is just as easily accessible as the other two airports despite being in another state. We took the Princess transfer out of Red Hook in Brooklyn and had a no problem ride through Staten Island and into New Jersey. The transfer (once underway) took about 30 minutes.

3 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Glad to hear that this works well. It is probably the only time I'd agree to take a cruise ship transfer as the other alternatives are not great!!

It was a while back but we also took the transfer from EWR to the pier.  I read on these boards that the transfers were the more economical way to go from EWR (we hadn't signed up for Uber yet at that time).  It really worked out well for us.  They used a smaller van, not a bus, like we had another time at JFK.  And, another time when we hired a car service, they never showed up for us ... just blew us off.  One time, we heard cab drivers don't always like to go to the pier .... and several claimed they didn't know where it was.  We even had printed directions, which made it obvious they just don't like going there.  Well, that was our experience anyway.   

We actually thought the employees at EWR were more friendly than at the other two NYC airports.  We had no traffic issues but can't remember which day of the week we traveled.  We are used to traffic where we live, so guess it didn't seem like anything extraordinary.  

The only realistic options (there are actually mass transit options that are crazy) are cruise ship transfer, limo, and maybe uber/lyft.  I live in the area  and Monday morning traffic will be terrible.  Travel time can range from 90 minutes to over 2 hours to cover the 20 to 30 miles.  More if there is a bad accident.

Personally I would compare prices of the transfer and the limo.  If you are staying with family (and not at the airport) limo is way easier.  Remember you have to get back to the airport for the transfer which is NOT fun on a Monday morning whereas a limo will pick you up wherever you are staying.

I once had a cruise out of Brooklyn on the weekend and drove from NJ (parked at the pier).  Even then there was traffic but not as crazy as a Monday morning.

My guess is that EWR is least preferred for Brooklyn is you either have to go over  the Verrazano or through Manhattan to get to Brooklyn.  The GW only if all else fails.  The drive from LGA or Kennedy is just way easier (no bridges or tunnels).

11 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

The only realistic options (there are actually mass transit options that are crazy) are cruise ship transfer, limo, and maybe uber/lyft.  I live in the area  and Monday morning traffic will be terrible.  Travel time can range from 90 minutes to over 2 hours to cover the 20 to 30 miles.  More if there is a bad accident.

Personally I would compare prices of the transfer and the limo.  If you are staying with family (and not at the airport) limo is way easier.  Remember you have to get back to the airport for the transfer which is NOT fun on a Monday morning whereas a limo will pick you up wherever you are staying.

I once had a cruise out of Brooklyn on the weekend and drove from NJ (parked at the pier).  Even then there was traffic but not as crazy as a Monday morning.

My guess is that EWR is least preferred for Brooklyn is you either have to go over  the Verrazano or through Manhattan to get to Brooklyn.  The GW only if all else fails.  The drive from LGA or Kennedy is just way easier (no bridges or tunnels).

Thx.  Understand about the traffic etc.  just going to use the Princess transfer so they are responsible for getting us to the ship!  We will be at a hotel at EWR airport the night prior.

6 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

Thx.  Understand about the traffic etc.  just going to use the Princess transfer so they are responsible for getting us to the ship!  We will be at a hotel at EWR airport the night prior.

Well, there's your problem.  If it was a weekend, I'd say: good plan.  If you cruise leaves on a Monday, spend the night in the city.  Problem solved.  Well worth the extra hotel cost.

Unless someone is flying in on the day of departure (a practice best avoided), what is the benefit of taking the Princess transfer?  As it will require two rides (hotel to airport, airport to pier), it involves more transit time, more luggage handling, more waiting and more things that might go wrong.  In addition, you have to stay close to an airport, whereas staying in the city is considered by many people to be a desirable thing to do.

I admit that I stay near EWR the night prior to departure, but with two key differences: I require parking, and my cruises have not left on a weekday.

There are so many ways to get from the city to Red Hook.  I recommend forgetting about the transfer.

Whatever you do, I hope you have a great time with your relatives and during your cruise.  Let us know how it works out.