Still Confused about Aqua Dining

mfs2k

Thanks. Is it small enough that they should not have trouble finding my order (usually with allergies I order the night before) even if I do not have the same servers?

I had a nightmare on RCCL this past summer (on Jewel, so not a mega ship) in the MDR when there was general open seating one night because of a late port day - they could not find my order for the longest in spite of having all my information, so I am a little nervous about not having the same servers.

6 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Piggy-backing if I may... I am gluten-free and understand the general procedure (it is similar on the ships I have been on), but I have never done a ship where even with Select/My Time Dining I did not have a set table (DCL you have a fixed dining time; RCCL I have done MTD but made a reservation for in between the assigned dining times and was able to get the same table and servers). 

Is Blu small enough that this does not matter with a food allergy? Or if I will be there at the same time each night would they assign me a table and servers?

They do generally try to seat you in the same area with the same server. If you have allergies speak with the maitre d and let them know you have issues and that you want the same server for that reason.  I've preordered meals in Blu to conform to dietary needs without issue. Since Blu is much smaller than the MDR and serve far fewer passengers, you'll find them particularly good individualizing orders.  Each meal remind the maitre d or hostess that you want to be seated with the particular server. You should be fine. Also you may want to fill out a special needs form prior to your cruise. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

They do generally try to seat you in the same area with the same server. If you have allergies speak with the maitre d and let them know you have issues and that you want the same server for that reason.  I've preordered meals in Blu to conform to dietary needs without issue. Since Blu is much smaller than the MDR and serve far fewer passengers, you'll find them particularly good individualizing orders.  Each meal remind the maitre d or hostess that you want to be seated with the particular server. You should be fine. Also you may want to fill out a special needs form prior to your cruise. 

Awesome! Thank you!!

On 2/16/2019 at 6:54 AM, cruisestitch said:

" wouldn't go to the MDR if I was in AQ.  Almost anything they have in the MDR is available in Blu,"

According to friends aboard now, this is not true on Edge.  

Are you saying the MDR staples like shrimp cocktail, escargot, Caesar salad, French onion soup are not available in Blu on Edge?  

I am hoping that the menu does have those things I have come to enjoy for appetizers and entrees. I am in an aft Aqua in April 2020 and having sailed exclusively on Royal save one on Summit, did not know when booking this class that Blu would be my "assigned" dining experience. I've looked at a couple menus online for Blu and honestly am not impressed with the food choices, so if it is possible to order to order from the MDR, I will probably do so. 

32 minutes ago, Caribbeancruzin said:

I am hoping that the menu does have those things I have come to enjoy for appetizers and entrees. I am in an aft Aqua in April 2020 and having sailed exclusively on Royal save one on Summit, did not know when booking this class that Blu would be my "assigned" dining experience. I've looked at a couple menus online for Blu and honestly am not impressed with the food choices, so if it is possible to order to order from the MDR, I will probably do so. 

Honestly, the first time DH and I booked Aqua he was very skeptical about it and reviewed the menus. He only agreed knowing that if he didn't like it he could eat in the MDR. Well, we've booked nothing but Aqua class since and he loves Blu. Go with an open mind and most likely you'll find that you love it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

Honestly, the first time DH and I booked Aqua he was very skeptical about it and reviewed the menus. He only agreed knowing that if he didn't like it he could eat in the MDR. Well, we've booked nothing but Aqua class since and he loves Blu. Go with an open mind and most likely you'll find that you love it.

thank you! I will keep an open mind for sure!

Just got back from Aqua Equinox cruise.  The staff at Blu are great. Just show up at your convenience and they got you covered. And I finally got a good lobster dinner on a cruise ship at Blu. Small but good. The starters were very good. Small but good. So for the first time, I had room for dessert. Filled me up.  

On 2/12/2019 at 7:45 PM, mfs2k said:

Ice cream is a treat but that doesn’t mean I want it every night. 

Perhaps you are under the impression that Blu is a fixed menu that's the same every night?   If so, please know that's not the case.  There are lovely new and delicious surprises each evening.  Some items (especially appetizers) are available every night, but the menu does have some different appetizers and entrees for every dinner.  Although I don't believe that "anything that's available in the MDR can be ordered in Blu," as someone indicated, a number of the common MDR appetizers can be ordered, such as French onion soup, shrimp cocktail (my husband's favorite) and escargot (my favorite!).    Eating in the same restaurant most nights (especially Blu) adds the benefit of having a serving staff who quickly become familiar with your preferences and  dietary restrictions.

I do seem to recall the breakfast menu being the same each day, but there's a nice selection.  Although wonderful (and with great service), we did opt for the buffet some mornings when in a hurry to get off the ship or when we had a craving for a "full English," which we took back and enjoyed on our balcony.

8 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Perhaps you are under the impression that Blu is a fixed menu that's the same every night?   If so, please know that's not the case.  There are lovely new and delicious surprises each evening.  Some items (especially appetizers) are available every night, but the menu does have some different appetizers and entrees for every dinner.  Although I don't believe that "anything that's available in the MDR can be ordered in Blu," as someone indicated, a number of the common MDR appetizers can be ordered, such as French onion soup, shrimp cocktail (my husband's favorite) and escargot (my favorite!).   

Thank you.  I was looking this morning, actually, at several of the Blu menus on another thread.  Aside from the two specialty restaurants we booked, we will likely stay in Blue the other 5 nights.  French onion soup Shrimp Cocktail and Escargot sounds really good to me now.