Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

NEW SILK MENU - CRYSTAL SERENITY

The Silk Menu has been updated on Serenity.

It includes the following new items:

Prawn Salad,  a new Hot & Sour Soup with Crab Meat, Lobster and Eggplant Curry, Wok Fried Duck Breast, and Signature Stir-Fry Beef Tenderloin.

Keith

1348057175_SilkUpdatedMenu.thumb.jpg.6e2773b8a27fcc387e49fafaa5d0b667.jpg

Lobster & Egg Plant Curry with the Chinese roll is yum

41A60A63-E30F-4A44-9027-19FC6F425BF1.jpeg

2E75BEFC-0C06-4DDA-BD48-EC1E01514B70.jpeg

The duck is ok - but I’m not a great duck lover 

F033EDD1-A890-4C55-A94F-8BD6C3FF0D2B.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990

Debate rages as to the authenticity of Silk as a Chinese Restaurant - we were talking about it last night and agreed it’s Chinese Inspired - with a Western palate taken into account - it’s not claiming to be anything else but that

So for those who are looking for the “back streets of China Town somewhere” then this isn’t going to hit it but now they have a Chinese chef on board Serenity you might want to talk to Bojan and ask if some of the dishes can be prepared in a more traditional Chinese fashion. I was told that when preparing dishes for Chinese guests the chef has on occasions made adjustments to suit their palate 

As an aside some might remember I mentioned a doughy bun at Silk at lunchtime a week or so ago - I tried another yesterday and it was much improved - plenty of filling and not so heavy - good to see it back to an acceptable standard 

Another thing about western Chinese food it is not as healthy as original Chinese food served in different parts of China.  Not much from looking at the menu that we would want.  Steamed buns and a salad would be it for us.  We also are not duck fans.  Rice is fine but not fried.  The hot and sour soup sounds good but we like real spicy...bring on the heat.  The steam dumplings only have three choices not characteristic at all of steam dumplings if you have been to anywhere in Asia.

We will give it a try but I don’t think it will measure up to venues we have been to in China.  Too many other choices so we won’t starve for sure.

Food is subjective.

Some  people love the food served at Silk. Some think it is good. Some don’t care for it.  Not very surprising. Some go there several times on a criuise while others one or two times

It is nice that the menu continues to evolve    .

We look forward to our next visit and will take the approach I mentioned re entry.

Given  that we all have different likes and dislikes when it comes to food it’s great that we have five different dining venues at night plus snacks at The Bistro plus room service.

Keith

I would check what kind of oil they are using and do they use any MSG?  Do they use Panko for frying instead of enriched flour. Panko is better if you eat fried food.  It really is the type of oil used and how it is fried.  Please let us know..

25 minutes ago, juicyjuju said:

Looks good! Is the menu also updated on Symphony?

This new menu is becoming more interesting to me.  I sure hope the Symphony's Silk is improving too.....I'm boarding in 8 (eight!!) days. 

~Nancy

6 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

We will give it a try but I don’t think it will measure up to venues we have been to in China.  

Well, yeah.  A few more dining rules to live by:

Never get the cioppino if you're not in San Francisco

Only order crab cakes when within 10 miles of Baltimore

And, no matter what you do, never, ever, order pizza unless you're in

(Ooops, door bell, gotta go)   

8 hours ago, MalbecWine said:

We will give it a try but I don’t think it will measure up to venues we have been to in China.  

It is not meant to. This is a North American owned line catering to a 75% North American/Western European clientele. If people want "authentic Chinese" then they should go to China, not Crystal Serenity!

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, yeah.  A few more dining rules to live by:

Never get the cioppino if you're not in San Francisco

Only order crab cakes when within 10 miles of Baltimore

And, no matter what you do, never, ever, order pizza unless you're in

(Ooops, door bell, gotta go)   

Funny..

I have a feeling that the Chinese chef they now have on board Serenity used to be on Symphony. I'm sure I remember seeing Chef Sem Tee's daily special when we were on Symphony in Dec 2018.

20 hours ago, Roland4 said:

It is not meant to. This is a North American owned line catering to a 75% North American/Western European clientele. If people want "authentic Chinese" then they should go to China, not Crystal Serenity!

Try the sister line Dream Cruises.  Dedicated to Chinese clientele.  

We had dinner at Silk this evening.

The third time on Serenity was a charm.

Amazing dinner.  We will post on our live thread.

Food was terrific.  Tasty.  Enjoyed the entire experience.

Keith

I wanted to expand on my comments.

Last night was our best experience of the four times we have eaten at Silk; three times on Serenity and one time on Symphony.

Ironically, it was a very busy night for the restaurant.  I was surprised at that given the sea swell.  The Brazilian Steakhouse was not busy because of the sea swells but it is located on the aft of the ship.  10%+ of the guests dined at Silk.

Personnel assisted from other areas including Waterside and Churrascaria.  This is something that both ships are doing and I applaud them for reallocating resources throughout the day and night at restaurants, and other places such as the lounges.  

The Chinese Chef for Silk opened up Silk in November.  He'll go on Holiday in Perth/Fremantle and another Chinese Chef will come on board.

We learns some lessons from our most recent experiences at Silk so we adjusted our approach last night.

After ordering everything we discussed with the waiter how items would be brought to the table to avoid a situation where hot items arrive with a salad or too many hot items arrive and they cool off by the time we eat.  We agree that items would be brought out slowly.  We ended up dining for two hours and enjoyed a leisurely meal with items arriving hot.

We tried some of the new menu items and some new items we didn't have before.

We loved the new Tempura Prawn Salad.  It is something that you might have seen at Tastes.  Very tasty and unique.

Dim Sum Sampler is something we have had before and enjoyed it before and again last evening an.

Crispy Fried Prawn Dumpling was very tasty.

For those who like spicy food I had the Hot & Sour Soup with Crab Meat.  I thought this is a winner as it came out hot, the soup lived up to its name of being hot and spicy and was delicious.  For those who don't care for spice I would have a Chicken Won Ton Soup instead.  My wife had the later.

Last time I had the sea bass as an entree and while I like fish I wanted something with more taste so I went with the

the Kung Pao Chicken.  This was also a bit spicy but something that those who don't care for a lot of spice could eat.  It is tasty.  We shared this entree although I had selected it.

Anne Marie selected the Lobster & Eggplant Curry.  The waiter said it would not be overly spicy as her stomach doesn't do well with too much spice.  I would say it was on the spicier side but clearly had lots of taste and we enjoyed it.  

We decided to add one more entree as we were still eating which is the approach that the waiter recommended.  In short, order a certain number of items and add more while eating.  By the way the waiter offered to bring out a bunch of appetizers instead of us ordering them but we wanted to order them ourselves.  Either approach can work.

The final entree was the Signature Stir-Fry Beef Tenderloin.  It was tender and very tasty.

I am not one who has rice very often other than rice in a sushi roll, although I primarily order sashimi and avoid the rice.  We did share one dish of Shrimp Fried Rice.

We didn't have dessert other than a fruit plate for me.  The fruit was very tasty as was the case when I had it last time.  You could have it with sherbet but I passed on that.

We were very pleased with the dinner and will return to Silk again.  

Like all restaurants it's not for everyone.  Some people will go there often, others a couple of times, others one time and maybe some won't return.  Same applies to all the restaurants.  I know some who love Umi Uma or Prego and some who don't care for that type of food or just don't care for those restaurants.

I have said when we dined at Silk on Symphony last May that it is a work in progress.  The original concept had fewer choices and waiters pretty much brought out the items and all to be shared family style.  In time because of guest feedback more items were added to the menu.  And now we have a revised menu with some fantastic (IMHO) new items.  This is no different than other restaurants on land or at sea that do evolve overtime based on experience and feedback.

For those who have never dined at Silk I can't tell you whether or not you will like it as we all have different tastes.  What I can suggest is you try it.  Of course I feel the same about all the venues.  In the end, each person will decide for themselves what they think.

For us we were happy with the dinner.  Yes, it took us try number four to figure it all out but as I said it took me several years to figure out my approach to Prego and now we love it.

Photos follow.

Keith

733228313_IMG_1118(1).thumb.jpg.0e6c686a71feba4f9c3fc87ed6c05dd5.jpg1214091959_IMG_3251(1).thumb.jpg.542d3d508a9e956a08f54c7900c80f17.jpgIMG_0679.thumb.jpg.4bcc261b7d054530c18926f5634e355a.jpgIMG_9937.thumb.jpg.ebcaa414fc51144d80d35fda55da3fb9.jpg1906288826_IMG_05462.thumb.jpg.54c7b5e7ac81533a7a887967a7575695.jpg

We enjoyed the meal.  Felt like we ate too much but that is the way we feel when dining at a Chinese Restaurant and in the end didn't overeat.

We will return to Silk for sure.  We feel good with the approach we took last night including the which dish or dishes would come out at a time and our food selection.  

One of the things we enjoyed about the pace was that the food was hot.  One comment is if you eat with others and are having conversations when the food arrives by the time you begin eating the food it might have started to cool off.  

Like all dining venues this one will have mixed reviews.  Some will love it and come here often, some will like it very much and come here one or possibly two times depending on the length of the cruise.  Some will think it's OK and come once.  And some might not care to dine here again.  Some people just don't care for Chinese food.  By the way we know some who feel the same way about the Italian or Japanese food.  And yes some might prefer a Chinese Restaurant at home.  This to me is why choice is so good and there are certainly lots of choices available on both ships for dinner.

As I said we enjoyed some of the new menu items and as I mentioned when we ate at Silk in May on Symphony I think Silk continues to be a work in progress which is not unusual at new dining venues at sea or on land.

Some photos from last evening which I had posted on the other thread.

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

As I reflected on our experience from the other day for those who have tried Silk and maybe it didn't work for you the first time I would give it another shot unless it is just something that doesn't appeal to you.

In our case it was a matter of having the meal paced so that in most cases only one item arrived at the same time other than entrees where we had two of three had the same time, and for us it was trying items over a few dinners to figure out which ones we liked best.  I think the new additions are terrific.

I do believe that Chinese Food is not for everyone as is the case for other cuisine so some will not go there for that reason.  I know people on board who love Umi Uma who don't go to Prego.  

In my case if I gave up on Prego because of my first couple of experiences on Harmony and Symphony and first couple of Serenity it would have been a shame since I now enjoy Prego.  It just took me awhile to figure it out for myself.

Again, food is subjective so the only opinion that matters is our own and that is another reason why it's great there are many dining venues where we can dine.

Keith

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

Keith,

So you prefer this iteration of Silk to Tastes?

KnezSailing...I prefer the former Tastes over Silk in terms of the cuisine With that said I did enjoy Silk and understand why they likely went with Silk in lieu of Tastes.  I very much enjoyed the new items they have added to Silk and expect they will continue to enhance the overall cuisine.  In both cases I very much enjoy the venue and the service.

Keith

I loved Silk last night. The best if three meals there. I was on the last wave if guests after the early show. I was not the only one. If earlier I would ask for food more slowly. I had the Hot and Sour soup,the lobster curry and the duck.  Only the 4th time on ship I had a land animal. I loved everything.

Thank you for posting this.  We will be on Serenity in May and it’s our first time with Crystal so it’s great to have this info.  

You are welcome.

If the menus are updated before that time I will post them here and will also share photos and experiences from our visit on the next voyage.

Keith