Epic Interrupted

Briji04

18 hours ago, Realdeal80 said:

Awe this threads gonna come to an end now. 

Anybody know of good threads with bad things happening to cruise ship. I was kinda addicted to this one. Wish it happen more often. Just not on my cruise. 😁

yeah, go to the MSC boards and you can continue your addiction.

Welcome to CC by the way.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

yeah, go to the MSC boards and you can continue your addiction.

Welcome to CC by the way.

Totally true.  Go to MSC boaed, I've sailed rwice with them and hasn't been as bad as I've read but not an experience to repeat

3 minutes ago, alejorubi said:

Totally true.  Go to MSC boaed, I've sailed rwice with them and hasn't been as bad as I've read but not an experience to repeat

I actually think @dexddd was referring to a collision involving two MSC ships at a pier.  I saw a teaser for it on the national news.

It involved the Orchestra and Poesia...

On 2/20/2019 at 9:21 PM, Cruz3r4life said:

I beg of them not to take me to Cozumel again, I've been so many times I've stopped spending time/money on excursions. I make excursion to Senor Frogs, shots are 2 for $5 a cheap buzz while people watching is far more interesting that seeing Cozumel fish...again 

But if the ship is having problems and they are making the gamble to only do short distance cruises, would they really go from Orlando to Cozumel?  I would think it would be shorter to go to 1 or 2 of the Virgin Islands vs. going across the whole Gulf of Mexico and hope that nothing else mechanically goes wrong.

we like Cozumel we go down to this one jewelry store and watch this guy work his magic on tourists, he is a great salesman, it is the highlight of Cozumel.  We sit in the shade and watch the jewelry store across the way.

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

If I recall - the metal never tore open, they're dents...

no it is this thread or another thread that literally shows the gashes, there is video and pics.  that is why I posted, I have been following information on EPIC the day this event occured

9 minutes ago, Newleno said:

no it is this thread or another thread that literally shows the gashes, there is video and pics.  that is why I posted, I have been following information on EPIC the day this event occured

Please link to a video or picture that shows a "gash" in the hull plating.  I have seen every post on this topic, and virtually everything online regarding this incident, and nowhere have I seen anything more than a dent, and I've dealt with hull damage for 43 years.  And, splits in the hull cannot be "hurriedly repaired".

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Newleno said:

You are mistaken...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Please link to a video or picture that shows a "gash" in the hull plating.  I have seen every post on this topic, and virtually everything online regarding this incident, and nowhere have I seen anything more than a dent, and I've dealt with hull damage for 43 years.  And, splits in the hull cannot be "hurriedly repaired".

dont know anything about hull plating, never said anything about hull plating, surprised you did not see the gash after reading all the posts on the topic

https://www.clickorlando.com/video/epic-fail-cruise-ship-crashes-into-dock

Edited by Newleno

52 minutes ago, Newleno said:

dont know anything about hull plating, never said anything about hull plating, surprised you did not see the gash after reading all the posts on the topic

Nothing in the video you link shows a "gash" (hole or tear) in the ship.  All of that damage is a couple of deep dents.  And hull plating is what the steel that is welded together to make the ship's hull is called.  Those dents are in the hull plating.

• Like 2

The hull playing never opened on the Epic. Two large dents in the hull, not gashes, are what I saw standing next to them on the pier in San Juan that morning. 

The pics that were posted on this thread earlier, showing a gashed open hull were from a different ship. 

5 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Nothing in the video you link shows a "gash" (hole or tear) in the ship.  All of that damage is a couple of deep dents.  And hull plating is what the steel that is welded together to make the ship's hull is called.  Those dents are in the hull plating.

The argument you make about hull plating is between yourself, I never said anything about it.  You believe what you want, the picture of the gash like a from a can opener speaks for itself.  If you want to call a gash a dent, ok by me

9 minutes ago, JoeCanadian said:

The hull playing never opened on the Epic. Two large dents in the hull, not gashes, are what I saw standing next to them on the pier in San Juan that morning. 

The pics that were posted on this thread earlier, showing a gashed open hull were from a different ship. 

dont know anything about hull plating and never said anything about it,  but the epic had gashes if some want to call gashes dents, thats  ok by me, there is video and pics.  Maybe you saw the ship after repairs?  I really dont know,  I find this discussion odd, like people keep insisting the world is flat.

Edited by Newleno

9 minutes ago, JoeCanadian said:

3 minutes ago, Newleno said:

dont know anything about hull plating and never said anything about it,  but the epic had gashes if some want to call gashes dents, thats  ok by me, there is video and pics.

JoeCanadian was standing next to the ship after the accident, and did not see any gash or opening in whatever you want to call the side of the ship.

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

There's a saying, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink". 

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

JoeCanadian was standing next to the ship after the accident, and did not see any gash or opening in whatever you want to call the side of the ship.

There was a gash on the ship, I dont know what else to say.  So you looked at my posted video and you still say that is a dent? is that your position?   

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

I watched this video.  There is no hole or break in the metal.  If you want to call it a gash as the news reporters did that's up to you.  I think the people posting here are defining a gash as some break in the metal (hull plating).  If there was an actual hole in the ship I doubt they would have allowed it to continue to Port Canaveral from San Juan.

Not sure if this is all semantics now.  Confusion over the technically correct terms and how non-ship people might refer to things.