Cruise Critic Community
shellsanibel

skagway glacier point wilderness safari

Probably splitting hairs but does anybody have a favorite between the 5 tour companies that offer this expedition?  They all seem to have decent reviews but when spending that much money.....I would prefer the one that people feel is the best. Would like to book direct and save a few dollars.   Seems like some might let you more readily get closer to the glacier face or perhaps even walk on it??? Thank you

There is only 1 company that operates this excursion. I think this is it - the rest just do bookings for them.

https://www.alaskaexcursions.com 

The company has an unusual past. I would look into news reports from last year. One person died and previous employees indicated that they often operated in unsafe conditions and did not properly maintain their boats, equipment, etc...

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2018/08/04/tour-company-faced-criticism-prior-to-fatal-canoe-accident-in-southeast-alaska/ 

Edited by Coral

Thank you Coral.  I did know about the past of the one excursion company but was unaware that the 4 other companies that advertise this expedition outsource it to that one particular company.  Gosh, I find it hard to believe that cruise lines and others would continue to use this company if there were severe safety issues but I know the dollar speaks loudly.  Thank you so much for this valuable info.

16 hours ago, shellsanibel said:

Thank you Coral.  I did know about the past of the one excursion company but was unaware that the 4 other companies that advertise this expedition outsource it to that one particular company.  Gosh, I find it hard to believe that cruise lines and others would continue to use this company if there were severe safety issues but I know the dollar speaks loudly.  Thank you so much for this valuable info.

I would read the reviews about it on here as well. News stories also don't tell all the details. The media tends to spin things as well. We did this excursion and loved it, we'd absolutely do it again. I know they also operate something else that included a zip line, that's not something we'd do in general though. But if you search the boards, you'll find a lot of people who have loved this excursion. We NEVER felt unsafe when we went. They explained everything safely, showed us everything we needed to do, etc... I realize the accident last year that happened, and unfortunately, the man lost his life. I wasn't there for that though, so I can't explain how that one happened, I've only read what the media reported. It does sound like a mistake was made on entering the canoe for that one, so hopefully they did address that immediately so it doesn't happen again. But for us, when we went, we didn't see anything like that, we were given full safety briefings, safety gear, etc....

I also loved our Glacier Point Wilderness Safari last summer. I thought the whole excursion was handled well, and I never for one moment felt unsafe.