Suggestions for packing without wrinkling

IrishColleen53

I am going on the Nieuw Statendam in a few weeks and I would love suggestions for keeping wrinkling to a minimum. I usually roll my clothes but especially the tops come out very wrinkled. I assume I can't bring a small portable steamer. Does the ship have self-service laundry or just the kind where you send it out? Is there any place to iron? Thanks!

No, no, yes, and no, Sorry!  :classic_smile:  I find hanging things in the bathroom while I shower can help.  I'm sure you can send things to the laundry for pressing, but it'll cost you!  Or are you planning to get a laundry package?  Everyone is in the same boat, so to speak, so you will see a few other wrinkly people..  Enjoy your cruise.

We've come to the conclusion that if it wrinkles, it usually doesn't get packed for a cruise. The HAL laundry is good about pressing anything wrinkled that you must take. Have to chuckle about VictOriann's comment about wrinkly people - so true!

• Like 1

I pack many items in packing envelopes.  I fold them over the plastic flat then remove the flat... . then stack the items and close up the envelope.  I pack tops and DH's shirts in these envelopes and they come out close to wrinkle free as long as am very careful to fold each item without wrinkles.  Long items like slacks, dresses and skirts I alternately lay into the suitcase with the ends of each item hanging over the sides, I  then fold the batch over whatever is packed in the bulk volume in the center of the suitcase.  There are Youtube videos on these techniques.  The fewer wrinkles I put into the clothes the better they come out!  m--

If it doesn't wash and it needs to be ironed, it simply doesn't go in the suitcase any longer. And I even like linen for travel wear - which actually smooths out easily when dampened.   It does get a nice rumpled patina  too with more wear.

But agree, rolling seems to work best, then hanging things out for a few days as well. Some have recommended using  the in-cabin hair dryer for some fabrics to smooth them out too. 

Edited by OlsSalt

I use the plastic bags that you get from the dry cleaners for skirts, dresses, my tops, DH's shirts -- works for me.

99% of the items we own are polyester and wrinkle free.

Years ago we saved all our blanket and sweater bags and everything else goes in them --then all we have to do when we unpack is move them directly from the suitcases into the drawers.

I use envelopes as well for shirts, etc with a bit of tissue paper and everything comes out wrinkle fee.

Stuff that is not a worry goes in packing cubes and they can come right out and go in a hotel room without unpacking.

Tissue paper works better for me than plastic as plastic slips and slides.  But, either one will stop a lot of wrinkles.

8 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

I have been using packing cubes. It helps me organize my packing and does seem to minimize wrinkling.

I use packing cubes too. In the Eagle Creek starter pack, you get a shirt one with a sheet of plastic to help fold tops as though they were on a shelf in a store. I always pack mine in that. Here’s a pic. Great for a cruise, you just take the cube out and transfer to draw. 

F90EF9D0-6EE2-4AEF-BD53-32ADEE6B854B.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I use the plastic bags that you get from the dry cleaners for skirts, dresses, my tops, DH's shirts -- works for me.

I use dry cleaner bags, too, for the dressy items that I don't  want wrinkled.. It works very well!

12 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

No, no, yes, and no, Sorry!  :classic_smile:  I find hanging things in the bathroom while I shower can help.  I'm sure you can send things to the laundry for pressing, but it'll cost you!  Or are you planning to get a laundry package?  Everyone is in the same boat, so to speak, so you will see a few other wrinkly people..  Enjoy your cruise.

So you are saying there is no self-service laundry/place to iron on this ship?

11 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

I have been using packing cubes. It helps me organize my packing and does seem to minimize wrinkling.

We too use packing cubes which we bought on Amazon .Rolling my shirts no wrinkles ;but i also use poly cotton or 100% poly shirts . Pants just fold in half  ,underwear  & socks in the cubes . Easy packing & unpacking . Learned to take just 2 pairs of shoes & they are dark sneakers   . No jackets ,ties or long sleeved dress shirts  any longer ,just dressy sweater  ,windbreaker I wear on plane   My back pack which is my personal item & my roll on carries a assortment of clothes just in case my big bag is lost in transit  ,my meds & any thing else of higher value  . Traveling the lighter the better . Even if I had to use the cruise ship laundry ,it is worth not carrying too much long  . I can also hand wash many of my poly/cotton & poly shirts while showering  . Learned a lot  from 81 past cruises .  Bring along metal magnetic hooks for extra storage hanging things up as needed ,very light to bring along  .Oh & don't forget a bed bug light to check bedding in hotels & even cruise ships .always check for bed bugs & leave luggage in the bathroom before unpacking after bed bug check .Not kidding we did find them 

• Like 1

I use packing cubes and also plastic laundry bags.  The packing cubes are wonderful -- not just for cruises. 

We take a "hiking" vacation every year -- national parks -- and we always rent a house for a week.  You just transfer the cubes from your suitcase to the dresser drawer.  It's great!!

I like using zipper mesh laundry  bags for collection of certain items that also go into a cabin drawer - a little more flexible when packing (stuffing) into a suitcase, if you don't need the stiffer sides of the packing cube.. 

I've used the same packing method since childhood (taught by my father!). It takes a bit of patience and care but it works.

-- Use a structured suitcase for packing (not a duffle) to avoid too much shifting.

-- Have the right size suitcase. A half empty bag and items will move. A crammed bag and items will wrinkle.

-- Put heavy/irregular items at the bottom (shoes, hair dryer, etc.) put socks/hosiery etc. inside shoes. Put a layer of plastic dry cleaning bags or tissue paper on top of this.

-- As a first layer put in clothing that doesn't wrinkle -- swimsuits, pajamas, underwear, etc. -- layering so that you eventually have a flat surface to continue.

-- On top of this pack the remainder of your clothes -- be sure to fold properly and make sure each garment covers the maximum dimensions in the suitcase (fewer folds = fewer wrinkles). 

-- Put the clothes most likely to wrinkle in last (I usually wait until the last possible minute).

-- Put a layer or two of plastic dry cleaning bags or tissue across the top to protect the clothes, ward off wrinkles, and ensure there is enough volume to hold clothes in place. DO NOT OVERPACK.

-- Stick any small items along the sides (between the clothing and the suitcase) such as a hairbrush, small guidebook, etc.

I fit much more in a smaller bag than many do in a larger bag because I am using the full capacity of it. There is often wasted space with packing cubes/bags.

I tend to always carry valuables (jewelry, electronics), essential medicines and cosmetics in a carry-on, together with at least one change of clothing.

59 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I like using zipper mesh laundry  bags for collection of certain items that also go into a cabin drawer - a little more flexible when packing (stuffing) into a suitcase, if you don't need the stiffer sides of the packing cube.. 

Lest you mislead, not all packing cubes have "stiffer sides."   One example is the Eagle Creek Specter series.  Extremely lightweight, sewn sides, but not reinforced with stiffeners.  The mesh laundry bags are a good idea for packing, also, as you say,  

On 2/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, IrishColleen53 said:

I am going on the Nieuw Statendam in a few weeks and I would love suggestions for keeping wrinkling to a minimum. I usually roll my clothes but especially the tops come out very wrinkled. I assume I can't bring a small portable steamer. Does the ship have self-service laundry or just the kind where you send it out? Is there any place to iron? Thanks!

I use Downey Fabric Releaser.  Put in one of those extra smal spray bottles, place it in a zip lock bag.  Works great, spray it on the garment, hang in bathroom and wrinkles gone.

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:02 PM, RMLincoln said:

I pack many items in packing envelopes.  I fold them over the plastic flat then remove the flat... . then stack the items and close up the envelope.  I pack tops and DH's shirts in these envelopes and they come out close to wrinkle free as long as am very careful to fold each item without wrinkles.  Long items like slacks, dresses and skirts I alternately lay into the suitcase with the ends of each item hanging over the sides, I  then fold the batch over whatever is packed in the bulk volume in the center of the suitcase.  There are Youtube videos on these techniques.  The fewer wrinkles I put into the clothes the better they come out!  m--

I also pack everything as flat as possible - tops laid in front down, sleeves folded over the back, slacks alternated waist up & down in the suitcase, etc. I find I can get lots more in the suitcase.  But I have to watch the weight since I can pack more.