Bahamas cruises are a waste of money???

Tntt

2 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

Clearly you missed the key word LIKELY. I have not talked to many people who have been to Nassau more than once who want to go back and I have talked to a lot of people.....to each their own.  Enjoy Nassau....

I didn't miss that word at all. And thank you, I will.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:34 AM, Jasukkie said:

I've been to Nassau once and had a great day. We walked to Junkanoo Beach and then back through the market area. Never felt threatened or intimidated. Then we took a ship's snorkel tour which was a highlight of the whole cruise. Sunshine, crystal clear water, plentiful fish, and rum punch on the way back. You don't realize how much you need to relax like that until you do haha. 

And cruising is almost always going to be more affordable than flying, hotel, meals, and entertainment booked separately. Have a great time!

Hi! Which snorkel tour did you do? There are a few listed on our ship and we were looking to do one of them. Thanks for your help in advance!

I read the OP's question and some but not all of the replies.  Sorry if I'm being repetitive.

Holy cow, I don't agree at all with the "feedback" the OP was given about the Bahamas.   No one takes a cruise because it is the fastest way to reach a destination.  

17 hours ago, sixesandeights said:

If you have never been to the Bahamas it will be fine.  There is a few awesome things to do at every port.  The Bahamas has relatively few things to do compared to other islands so it gets old very quickly, but on a first visit you will be fine.  After you have gone a time or two you too will likely not want to go back.  We actively avoid cruises with Bahamas stops these days if at all possible, and would never think about booking a Bahamas only cruise.

6&8

I could probably list a dozen things I’ve done or want to do. One does have to do a little research, and it’s not going to be free.

After doing Nassau twice (and only staying on the island for excursions), I thought I was done with it.  For our third time, we booked the Pearl Island excursion, and would definitely go back!  

Here is my review: 

I would for sure do the Pearl Island trip again.

summary: great if you want a secluded small tropical island to beach or snorkel on.  Maybe a little boring for kids.

loved: nice bar, lots of different shady/sunny spots to lay in, great pictures from the lighthouse, sandy beach with kayaks/paddleboard (free), so pretty, nice scenery on the ride over and back. The fish at lunch was amazing!

didnt love:  they told us lunch would be at 10, but was really at 11:30.  This was only annoying because lunch was at the far side of the island, and people kept walking way over there to see if the food was ready.

also didn’t love that there were 2 dogs loose on the island who pooed everywhere.  I wasn’t expecting there to be poo on the island.  Also didn’t love that they no longer gave a welcome drink and photo- since it was part of the package when we signed up, it feels like kind of a “bait and switch”.

274731BB-D043-4DCE-8440-1BEC125ADF4B.jpeg

The ship is the destination not the itinerary. I haven’t sailed much on Royal Caribbean because the ships are too big and the itineraries are bland.  If you have never been to the Bahamas than it will be new for you. Beaches are beautiful.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 9:35 PM, Tntt said:

Ok.... I just need a little encouragement from the fellow cruisers.... my family and I are going on the symphony of the seas Bahamas cruise in may. We have been so excited and have been in great  anticipation.  After having a conversation with a friend that cruises often they said to me that we are wasting our money going on a cruise to the Bahamas and that Bahamas is only 50 miles from Florida and it is not worth the 12 hour drive to get to the port and cruise to a place that only takes a hr to get to by plane. Honestly I felt a little discouraged and they made me feel sorta stupid and a little embarrassed that I've been so excited  because I never thought of how close the Bahamas was. We are definitely still going but it kinda hurt my feelings that someone would say we are basically throwing our money away.... just curious does anyone else think Bahamas cruises are a waste of money?

So OP...  I think it has been firmly established.  You are going to have great time no matter what your jealous little friend says.  Enjoy your cruise.

5 hours ago, vidsmart said:

One of the greatest travel industry advertising campaigns ever was Cunard Cruise Line’s 1950’s “Getting There is Half the Fun!” It is applicable today and especially relevant to your friend's misguided comment...

Just remembered a Mad Magazine satire from the same time with the slogan "Getting Her is Half the Fun!"

On 2/13/2019 at 6:14 PM, flcruising89 said:

Hi! Which snorkel tour did you do? There are a few listed on our ship and we were looking to do one of them. Thanks for your help in advance!

It was a ship's tour on a catamaran, leaving right from the dock there. I don't remember the exact name, sorry. Probably around $65 as I recall.

For goodness sake, I'm not sure that is your friend! Bahamas was our first cruise a couple years ago and we are doing another next month. We love Coco Cay, where I expect you will be stopping, and we thought Nassau was worth a visit with a little planning. We saw some history, ate some good food, and did a little shopping away from the tourist trap stores right off the ship. Next month we used a non-RCI vendor to book a day at Atlantis, I'm just interested in checking it out! 

I have heard negative things said by cruisers about Nassau in the past, and honestly in most cases it seemed more like an attitude problem! Stay excited and curious and you will have an AMAZING time! That first cruise to the Bahamas hooked us and we have since done the Caribbean and a PNW cruise, and have a B2B Caribbean scheduled for next year as well. Looking in to a new england/canada one for this fall - so be forewarned you may get hooked! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2019 at 2:27 PM, sixesandeights said:

Clearly you missed the key word LIKELY. I have not talked to many people who have been to Nassau more than once who want to go back and I have talked to a lot of people.....to each their own.  Enjoy Nassau....

I have to disagree- now that we have found super awesome excursions like Pearl Island, we would definitely go back!

As many others have said, the ship will be the destination, not the Bahamas for you.  There are other islands I would rather travel to (Nassau is not my favourite, but we have had a couple of decent visits there in the past).  You will love the Symphony and all it has to offer.  Heck, you may love it so much, you do not even get off the ship.  Even better than a sea day because lots of cruisers will get off the ship and there would be less people on board if you decided to stay aboard.  We are looking at an Oasis class ship that does the Bahamas, but more so we can enjoy the ship.

The main reason we prefer to miss the Bahamas is we prefer the more southern islands where there is a better chance of warmer weather (we always cruise in March).  If you are hitting the Bahamas in the summer, it would be fine.  If you are there in the winter months, it could be nice and warm or a little cooler than those other more southern islands.

Final word, enjoy the Symphony.  Your "friend" will be at home and I am sure you will be having a better time on your vacation than they will be at home.

7 hours ago, sft429 said:

I dunno...  We just did a free 5 day to the Bahamas.  I wouldn't take the cruise to the Bahamas again free or not, not in January anyway.  

It would be much more helpful if you put some reasons with the statement.