Sign in to follow this  
VMax1700

Surprised by early guarantee cabin allocation

We are doing two B2B cruises sailing on March 27 followed by April 7th , so 6 weeks and 8 weeks away.  We booked Obstructed Verandah Guarantees and this morning received our cabin numbers 6157 and 6167.  VA catergory mid ship so a nice upgrade.   On previous guarantees we only received notification within the final 10 days, so this is a bit of a surprise.

Anyway, I tried to look at the HAL website this morning to see if there was any possibliity of getting the same cabin for both cruises but I keep getting the 'circle of death' on the website.

All you experienced cruisers, can you offer me advice.  Should I do nothing, accept the cabins allocated and be happy I got upgraded and only have 5 cabins to move, or is it worth giving HAL a call to see if there is any chance of staying in the same cabin (even if a different cabin and/or a lower category)?  

I would call HAL (or if you are using a TA -- have them call HAL) and see if you can get the same cabin for both segments.

It never hurts to try especially since you are still so many weeks from your sailing date.

I would be tempted to leave well enough alone too.

You have a very nice upgrade.  I changed rooms last year on a B2B and it’s not hard at all.  Everything on hangers gets moved for you so all you have to do is pack what is in drawers.  Stewards did a fabulous job.  Easy as anything and didn’t take much time to pack or unpack 😉 

Your suitcases stay in your room and they move everything.  Just take your safety deposit box contents with you.

I would prefer 6167 (because it's closer to the elevators and not an adjoining cabin) so if I could get that for the whole time I would be happier than in 6157 and not moving. It's worth a phone call I guess.

If you do move, you may not even have to pack up stuff in the drawers.  I have heard of cases of swapping drawers between cabins with contents in place.

Thanks for the replies!

The website is back up running again and I have checked availability.  6167 is also available for the second cruise, so I am going to call to see if they will change it.  Nothing ventured..........

Just need to wait now for time difference.  It's only 6 am in Seattle.  I probably need to wait until Inventory staff are in the office, not just customer support.

I will keep you posted!

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Just need to wait now for time difference.  It's only 6 am in Seattle I probably need to wait until Inventory staff are in the office, not just customer support.

Give them abit of time to finish that 1st cup of coffee as well!

Good Luck and let us know how you did.

We are snowed in here in Victoria, so I imagine Seattle is worse.  We had a long wait yesterday to get someone at HAL to cancel a shore excursion, they may be short-staffed again today!

If you can change your booking to stay in the same cabin, great, but as Kazu said, they make it very easy to change rooms.

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Thanks for the replies!

The website is back up running again and I have checked availability.  6167 is also available for the second cruise, so I am going to call to see if they will change it.  Nothing ventured..........

Just need to wait now for time difference.  It's only 6 am in Seattle.  I probably need to wait until Inventory staff are in the office, not just customer support.

I will keep you posted!

It's 8:45 here now, did you call?  Everything here in the Seattle area is almost shut down with this weather...let us know what you hear 🙂  

Didn't realize the weather situation.  Our youngest son lives in Vancouver and travels often to Whitehorse.  He sent a couple of pics yesterday of Vancouver in the snow, but I didn't make the mental connection to Seattle!

Anyway, I called and after four multichoice questions on the automatic answering system, I made contact with a real, living person.  She was unable  to change our stateroom and gave me an email address for ship inventory to contact.  So that email is gone!

9 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Didn't realize the weather situation.  Our youngest son lives in Vancouver and travels often to Whitehorse.  He sent a couple of pics yesterday of Vancouver in the snow, but I didn't make the mental connection to Seattle!

Anyway, I called and after four multichoice questions on the automatic answering system, I made contact with a real, living person.  She was unable  to change our stateroom and gave me an email address for ship inventory to contact.  So that email is gone!

Thanks for letting us know and good luck!

Yes, we're having the worst snow in 7 decades or something.  

Success!

Just received an email 'Booking Confirmation' with the new stateroom number.  So no moving!

DW is delighted - more time at Galleria Mall on turnaround day! :classic_wacko:

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Stay safe and warm all affected by the weather!

Have you been in the Galleria recently?  Last year I was disappointed, a lot of shops closed, and the food court is a shadow of its former self!  (Don't tell your DW)

12 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Success!

Just received an email 'Booking Confirmation' with the new stateroom number.  So no moving!

Great news 🙂. Glad to hear it.

and, I echo Vict0riann’s comment on the Galleria mall.

My BF still had success in the more expensive stores, though 😉 

14 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Have you been in the Galleria recently?  Last year I was disappointed, a lot of shops closed, and the food court is a shadow of its former self!  (Don't tell your DW)

We were in Galleria about this time last year and noticed the Food Court downgrade.  We really just hit Macy's for my Tommy Hifflinger gear and Niemann Marcus (just for a laugh!)  DW misses Cache, that used to be there as she got numerous wedding/gala night outfits there.   Also misses the wig shop upstairs (DW, not me).

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

Success!

Congratulations on getting the same cabin for both cruises !

And I totally don't understand how you got the assignments so early, but you might as well just enjoy the certitude. One less thing to think about.

42 minutes ago, jertom said:

Congratulations on getting the same cabin for both cruises !

And I totally don't understand how you got the assignments so early, but you might as well just enjoy the certitude. One less thing to think about.

I am totally stunned with how early the notification was received, but it is another 'job' off the list and now we have no uncertainty about location!

36 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

I am totally stunned with how early the notification was received, but it is another 'job' off the list and now we have no uncertainty about location!

It does make me wonder too.  Maybe, just maybe, HAL will start assigning guarantee cabins earlier like Celebrity does? 

Time will tell if this was a fluke or not. 😄

Must be a fluke!:classic_biggrin:  We just got our assignment 10 days out.  I understand our ship is not nearly full (630 out of 895, I think it is) so they could have sorted out the guarantees weeks ago, it seems to me.  I guess they were just desperate to sell rooms before they assigned the guarantees.

Or Luck of the Irish!

Edited by Vict0riann

On 2/12/2019 at 5:00 PM, Vict0riann said:

so they could have sorted out the guarantees weeks ago, it seems to me

We were once on a cruise that had been sold out for months and we got our assignment 11 days out.  I think it is sometimes that they are still working on the cruises before yours first.

We book only GUARs and after many, many cruises on HAL, I have to think this early assignment is very unusual.   Of the many b-b cruises we have booked, always the same cabin, so your experience seems quite strange. There must be a reason for it, but I can't quite figure this out.

Glad you tried and succeeded in getting the same cabin.  Good to know , so thanks for writing this up and educating us all.