Is Alaska Air strict on their bag sizes now?

jowens4201979

Note that AS has changed their size limits for carryons from a formerly generous 24 inches.

Anytime you are over - either size or weight - you are at the mercy of what the gate agent will allow.  Past anecdotal "evidence" is just that. On any day, the agent may be under a directive to restrict carryons, may be following a liberal attitude, or may be just having a bad day and needing to take it out on......

• Like 1

Unfortunately we just don't know. As mentioned above, it can be at the whim of the gate agent. I've had both happen, with size and weight...on the outbound leg I was fine, and on the return I got stopped. Same airline, same aircraft type, roughly the same passenger load factor. Only difference was the gate agent. Only guarantee is to play by the rules; anything past that is just a crap shoot.

• Like 1

My daughter and her husband had a similar experience with Alaska Air on their honeymoon.  They had a carryon that was just slightly larger than the stated sizes...on the outbound they did not get stopped and were able to take it onboard themselves.  For the return flight, they opted to not take the chance at being stopped (it was stuffed a little bigger with some souvenirs) and decided to check it from the outset. 

While I don't fly as often as some others, I find that on almost every flight I take the gate agents offer free gate-check because people are trying desperately to avoid bag fees.  I happily gate-check for free - anything to avoid trying to (a) find bin space, and (b) hoist bags over my head in that confined space.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, jowens4201979 said:

Will be flying in April out of Newark and then out of Oakland.  Are they going to give me a problem if my bag is less than a inch to big? Plan on checking one with 2 carry ons between the two of us.

A possible work around is to get to the gate, then ask the agents to gate check it. Alaska doesn't charge the checked bag fee if you check at the gate.

However, you will have to retrieve your bag at the baggage claim. Not at the jetway at your final destination.