Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mama_2_boys

What ages did you start letting kids stay in their own cabin?

Recommended Posts

We are a family of 5 trying to decide between the Deluxe Ocean View or two non-connecting interior or ocean view rooms. The prices are all similar but I'm torn since they do not connect. I'm not sure I want to sleep separate from my husband but I'm also not sure I want to let the kids stay in a room solo yet. Thoughts from anyone that has been in this situation are appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How old are your children?  Are the rooms within the proximity required by Carnival?  I never cruised when my children were young, but I, personally, wouldn't have considered a non-connecting room before they were 10.  Maybe someone else can provide personal experiences for you.  Happy cruising!

 

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

  • Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our boys were 12 & 10 when we let them have their own cabin. We would have a balcony, they would be in an inside directly across the hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our kids are 9 and 8.  Clearly we haven't put them in their own cabin, but I'm sure the time will come.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boys were 11 and 15 when we decided to get connecting cabins. That’s the only way they could have their own room. I don’t think would be able to sleep if they were across or down the hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ours were about 16 and 14.  By that age, even they deserved and appreciated some privacy.  While we didn't do it, we probably would have been comfortable at 14 and 12 ish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

We are a family of 5 trying to decide between the Deluxe Ocean View or two non-connecting interior or ocean view rooms. The prices are all similar but I'm torn since they do not connect. I'm not sure I want to sleep separate from my husband but I'm also not sure I want to let the kids stay in a room solo yet. Thoughts from anyone that has been in this situation are appreciated.

I would only do it if it was a connecting cabin.   I would not feel comfortable with a completely different cabin with kids under 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mama_2_boys said:

They are 11 and 13. The youngest would be with us.

We did this, never encountered a problem.  My 3 started sharing their own room starting when they were 13, 10 and 8 - at that time they were next door but we've had them a few doors down as well, even in a separate muster station given the way the rooms were divided up - I told oldest that in an emergency she was in charge.  But never any concern or issues on multiple cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

We are a family of 5 trying to decide between the Deluxe Ocean View or two non-connecting interior or ocean view rooms. The prices are all similar but I'm torn since they do not connect. I'm not sure I want to sleep separate from my husband but I'm also not sure I want to let the kids stay in a room solo yet. Thoughts from anyone that has been in this situation are appreciated.

Mine were 10 and 14 where we did two non connecting staterooms.  I understand how you are not sure if you want them solo yet, but knowing that my kids get along very nicely and they would only be sleeping and getting ready one cabin (not sure how your kids are and your cruising style), I would go for the two staterooms.  With two staterooms you would get more space, more storage and 2 full bathrooms rather than 2 sinks, 1 shower, 1 bathtub, and 1 toilet.  Are your children independent enough for it though?  How old are they?

6 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

How old are your children?  Are the rooms within the proximity required by Carnival?  I never cruised when my children were young, but I, personally, wouldn't have considered a non-connecting room before they were 10.  Maybe someone else can provide personal experiences for you.  Happy cruising!

 

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

  • Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer. 

 

You can always book the adult and child in a room together, why the other adult and child(run) in another room, get extra keys, then have the kids sleep in the one room with the adults in the other to get around these rules. Just be sure to link the reservations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Allura_317 said:

Mine were 10 and 14 where we did two non connecting staterooms.  I understand how you are not sure if you want them solo yet, but knowing that my kids get along very nicely and they would only be sleeping and getting ready one cabin (not sure how your kids are and your cruising style), I would go for the two staterooms.  With two staterooms you would get more space, more storage and 2 full bathrooms rather than 2 sinks, 1 shower, 1 bathtub, and 1 toilet.  Are your children independent enough for it though?  How old are they?

You can always book the adult and child in a room together, why the other adult and child(run) in another room, get extra keys, then have the kids sleep in the one room with the adults in the other to get around these rules. Just be sure to link the reservations!

I wouldn't worry about them, they are mature and well behaved. I worry about everyone else! Haha! They will be 11 and 13 when we cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mama_2_boys said:

We are a family of 5 trying to decide between the Deluxe Ocean View or two non-connecting interior or ocean view rooms. The prices are all similar but I'm torn since they do not connect. I'm not sure I want to sleep separate from my husband but I'm also not sure I want to let the kids stay in a room solo yet. Thoughts from anyone that has been in this situation are appreciated.

By the time we started cruising, in 1995, we had been married 25 years, and our two youngest daughters were in their 20s, so this won’t give you the info your looking for, because these two girls ran me up a $2,000 bar bill! Lol! But, seriously, my oldest daughter has been cruising with her 4 children for years on Carnival, and they usually have their own cabin. They are now ages (twins)11, 16, and 20, but they were much younger when they started cruising in their own cabin. She prefers adjoining, but has not always been successful getting those cabins. She will not book balconies with them, though. Usually just inside cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

We did this, never encountered a problem.  My 3 started sharing their own room starting when they were 13, 10 and 8 - at that time they were next door but we've had them a few doors down as well, even in a separate muster station given the way the rooms were divided up - I told oldest that in an emergency she was in charge.  But never any concern or issues on multiple cruises.

 

We did thi9s as well! Ours were 13, 8, and 8. Never had a problem. They had a key to our cabin and we had a key to there's. We always got a balcony and an inside across the hall for them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10,15and17 in a cabin next door.when I'm ready to go to bed that's it so they had their own cabin.it kept the peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have purchased two cabins since our girls were 14. When they were 14 and 15, we purchased two balcony cabins and opened the divider between the two balconies. It was like having a two bedroom/2 bathroom suite! It was fantastic! When they were 16, we purchased an interior a few doors down from us. I was a bit nervous with them a few doors down, but they are good girls and wouldn't get themselves in bad situations. This time, we have an ocean suite so we are all together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked connecting oceanview when our kids were 5 & 8.  Obviously, we wouldn't have done this without the connecting door.  It was actually cheaper to do this than put all of us in one balcony stateroom.  Square footage wise, two oceanview are bigger than one suite!  

 

Just curious; why are you looking at non-connecting rooms?  You do realize, that in most cases, you have to call the cruiseline to book such connecting rooms?  In most cases (not all), connecting rooms are simply not available via the website on your own.

 

Hope this helps.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our DDs are 16 and 12 (will be 17 and 13 on our upcoming BTB), and we never have put them in their own cabin and have no plans to do so.  We book Suites.  There's plenty of room for the four of us and all our stuff.  Back when we used to book OVs and Balconies with the girls, it was a bit cramped.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have taken all of our grandkids on cruises, several times when we only take one, they stay in our cabin.  Two 16 year olds had an inside across the hall, but the 12 and 13 year old had an adjoining cabin.  I wouldn't feel comfortable with anyone under 16 in a non-adjoining cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd do it at those aged IF they have had ample experience with hotels and cruises. I wouldn't book them in their own rooms if travel was very new to them. Mine are 12 and 13. I would have 0 issue with them in their own room, but we travel a lot and they just went on their 4th cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As soon as the older of the two was 12.  

Never a problem of any kind!  :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL - 33. My daughter has been cruising with us since she was 18 month old.

 

When she cruised with us, we were always paying so we did three in a cabin. 

 

At 33, her boyfriend  was cruising with us so we gave then their own room (Yes, we paid for them both. It is our contribution to two hard working, underpaid teachers.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I let my kids have their own cabin as soon as they were able to pay for it...…….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

I let my kids have their own cabin as soon as they were able to pay for it...…….

 

There gets to be a time when it is very worth paying for a cabin for them so they are not in yours.  :classic_laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...