realized I need to post question here about Princess Cay

cruisingjodi

•  
  • cruisingjodi
  • October 6, 2010
  •  
  • 134 posts
  • Western Pennsylvania

Has anyone done the Princess Cays snorkel excursion and is it worth doing?  We like to snorkel but I can’t find any reviews on this.

Edited by cruisingjodi
spelling error

• 3 weeks later...

Following - we are researching excursions for our trip in September. I've read you can bring your own snorkel gear & just rent the clam shells/chairs day of. Sounds like lunch is free for everyone too. But I'd love to hear more from folks!

DH and  I have done the snorkel excursion twice. We enjoyed it. I can't speak to the equipment because we bring our own gear.   They take you down the coast for about 20 mins. and then you snorkel for about an hour.   The last time the water was really clear, not too deep  and there were loads of fish.    As a nice surprise,  the captain serenaded us  on the way back.  It was one of those "it doesn't get better than this " moments    

22 hours ago, xostacylee said:

Following - we are researching excursions for our trip in September. I've read you can bring your own snorkel gear & just rent the clam shells/chairs day of. Sounds like lunch is free for everyone too. But I'd love to hear more from folks!

The buffet lunch is included, but of course any drinks would be from the bar and cost extra.  I went with Carnival last year around this time and the water was cool but good.  Lots of flies at the buffet, so I would plan to eat a large breakfast on the ship and a late lunch when you get back.

I think Princess has food trucks, but I'm not sure if they are included or an upcharge.

We stayed under a tree on the quieter right hand side and people next to us said the snorkeling right from the beach was great (we didn't bring equipment that day).  The water entry is quite rocky, so I strongly recommend water shoes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

The buffet lunch is included, but of course any drinks would be from the bar and cost extra.  I went with Carnival last year around this time and the water was cool but good.  Lots of flies at the buffet, so I would plan to eat a large breakfast on the ship and a late lunch when you get back.

I think Princess has food trucks, but I'm not sure if they are included or an upcharge.

We stayed under a tree on the quieter right hand side and people next to us said the snorkeling right from the beach was great (we didn't bring equipment that day).  The water entry is quite rocky, so I strongly recommend water shoes.

Thank you! I've noted the water shoes, and we may end up bringing our own snorkel gear vs. doing an excursion through Carnival. Seems like that may be the best way to go + perhaps renting a clam shell. We were looking at the cabanas but it's $200+ and not sure we need the entire space for just two of us!

That sounds like a good plan.  We like to just focus on one or two excursions per cruise and do everything else on our own.  Our last cruise we didn't do any excursions and still had a good time.

I have heard that the clam shells can get warm, we had plenty of shade in our area of the beach (if you want to be in the middle of the crowd though you might not find as much shade).

I was just in Princess Cays last week and had an amazing time!

We found loungers in a quiet little area and felt like we had the island to ourselves!

enhance

We brought our snorkel gear from home, and simply walked into the water (not in the designated snorkel area), and instantly were surrounded by dozens of gorgeous fish! To me, it wouldn't require taking a tour at all!

I would suggest taking water shoes, and being cautious of where you enter so you don't damage any of the sea life.

I've written a detailed review of our time on the Liberty here, and there are tons of pics from our day in Princess Cays!

The BBQ lunch is free, and they had 5 - 6 lines going for the food. Honestly, it's very mediocre and the flies will descend upon you as soon as you sit down with your plate. I'd have a big breakfast onboard and get some snacks once you return to your ship...

There are quite of few trees to provide shade, so I'm not sure it would require a clam shell.

The cabanas were very tiny and basic. Plastic patio furniture and an AC with a couple loungers outside. I definitely wouldn't spend money on them!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sailawaybellaluna said:

I was just in Princess Cays last week and had an amazing time!

We found loungers in a quiet little area and felt like we had the island to ourselves!

enhance

We brought our snorkel gear from home, and simply walked into the water (not in the designated snorkel area), and instantly were surrounded by dozens of gorgeous fish! To me, it wouldn't require taking a tour at all!

I would suggest taking water shoes, and being cautious of where you enter so you don't damage any of the sea life.

I've written a detailed review of our time on the Liberty here, and there are tons of pics from our day in Princess Cays!

The BBQ lunch is free, and they had 5 - 6 lines going for the food. Honestly, it's very mediocre and the flies will descend upon you as soon as you sit down with your plate. I'd have a big breakfast onboard and get some snacks once you return to your ship...

There are quite of few trees to provide shade, so I'm not sure it would require a clam shell.

The cabanas were very tiny and basic. Plastic patio furniture and an AC with a couple loungers outside. I definitely wouldn't spend money on them!

Sounds much like what we experienced, except it was the people next to us who experienced the snorkeling.  If we return we will definitely bring our own gear (and skip the buffet).