Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CanadianTourist

Just Booked a Cabana on the Edge

Recommended Posts

I just booked a Cabana on the Edge for an upcoming cruise (on a sea day)....it was fairly difficult to do on my “Cruise Planner” but I am glad that I did it.  

 

I know that there have been some concerns about these spaces but for $150 it made total sense for me.

 

anybody else going to book one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also like to book one for my upcoming cruise on the Edge (June 5th sailing).  I could not find it in the cruise planner.

Where was it?

Any help would be appreciated!

 

Thanks,

 

Lisa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal opinion - they are crap location.  Hopefully, you have seen the pictures and the reviews and know what you are getting.  If not, do some research in previous reviews, they have no view and have main walkways right in front of them. Can't imagine paying anything for them (on the Edge).    Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I have no idea what they were thinking with these cabanas.  They have well used walkway in front of them & chairs across the walkway that were open for anyone. So absolutely no privacy and no view.  There were only a few occupied during our cruise and by mid afternoon they had been vacated.  

 

We have done cabanas on the Reflection and they had much more privacy and the view was to the lawn not to a walkway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why anyone would pay anything for those cabanas is beyond me. They're not even real cabanas...it's just a corner couch with the a sea of people that walk right in front of it. There's no privacy and no benefits. You can spend your money how you want but we walked by those cabanas several times per day on our cruise and not once did I see anyone there...and for good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, jelayne said:

 I have no idea what they were thinking with these cabanas.  They have well used walkway in front of them & chairs across the walkway that were open for anyone. So absolutely no privacy and no view.  There were only a few occupied during our cruise and by mid afternoon they had been vacated.  

 

We have done cabanas on the Reflection and they had much more privacy and the view was to the lawn not to a walkway.

This is how cabanasare in many all inclusive and Vegas.  I agree that S class does it better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CanadianTourist said:

I just booked a Cabana on the Edge for an upcoming cruise (on a sea day)....it was fairly difficult to do on my “Cruise Planner” but I am glad that I did it.  

 

I know that there have been some concerns about these spaces but for $150 it made total sense for me.

 

anybody else going to book one?

 

Was that 150 PP or for everyone and does it include the bottle of alcohol and other stuff? That price seems a lot lower than I have been reading. 

 

When we were on we only saw them rented maybe 5 times during week. The biggest miss I thought was the cabana didn’t have direct access to the pool area. You had to walk around a ways to get to the pool. The path through the cabanas was also the only way for people to access the Magic Carpet on deck 14. 

 

VT had some good pictures of one in one of her trip reports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to report  that it was a total wind tunnel...all the plants were blown over when we walked  through... and there is a public  pathway that walks right past..Maybe it would be ok on a port day...less swirling wind.  Never saw anyone using them...

 

They should re do this area  or deeply discount it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on the January 20th cruise and never saw anyone in this space.  It’s not particularly appealing as it is a major walkthrough area without a view.  The weather on this cruise started out poorly but by weeks end much improved.  

 

Sorry to give you bad news but this venue isn’t worth the money.  Find a nice spot at the pool and use the $150 for drinks spread over a few days.

Edited by Oville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$150 is for 2 people and includes:

 

Four Large Bottles of Evian Water
Selection of Six Chilled Beers
Unlimited Soft Drinks
Fresh Fruit Skewers
Cabana Food Menu
Evian Facial Spray
Ice Cold Towels

Choice of one of the following:

One Bottle of Grey Goose Vodka

 

One Bottle of Veuve Cliquot Rosé Champagne

 

One Bottle of Grgich Hills Opulence Chardonnay

 

As we will not have a drinks package, the $150 seems like a good price to have all of that included.  I have read reviews and looked at photos - I am well aware of the shortcomings.  I still think it makes sense FOR ME.    We will not be glued to the space, but I think it will be a nice place for us to relax at times throughout the day.

Edited by CanadianTourist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your money would be better enjoyed else where. But, hey, that’s just me. And BTW, I walked back and forth in front of the “cabanas” or maybe they should be called “cabana spaces or areas” on The Edge, and I just didn’t “get it”.  Just another way of CCL to rake in more $$, for charging for something that is not really real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CanadianTourist said:

$150 is for 2 people and includes:

 

Four Large Bottles of Evian Water
Selection of Six Chilled Beers
Unlimited Soft Drinks
Fresh Fruit Skewers
Cabana Food Menu
Evian Facial Spray
Ice Cold Towels

Choice of one of the following:

One Bottle of Grey Goose Vodka

 

One Bottle of Veuve Cliquot Rosé Champagne

 

One Bottle of Grgich Hills Opulence Chardonnay

 

As we will not have a drinks package, the $150 seems like a good price to have all of that included.  I have read reviews and looked at photos - I am well aware of the shortcomings.  I still think it makes sense FOR ME.    We will not be glued to the space, but I think it will be a nice place for us to relax at times throughout the day.

 

Don' t let the naysayers get to you, that's indeed a nice list of perks, the three bottles of booze and other drinks by themselves would set off most of the $150 cost and even though you can get most of the other stuff like food and towels for free elsewhere on the ship, having them delivered to your private lounging area adds that bit of pampering which makes it fun to be on holiday. 

 

There were also lots of games in the cabanas as well we noticed when we were in the Edge in December so that's a nice extra perk. We may have been lucky with the weather on that cruise but I don't remember this area being particularly windy.

 

I'd guesstimate the cabanas were being used about 60-75% of the time, which was a higher usage than I've seen on the Solstice ships. 

 

One Cabana was booked out for the entire week by the same guest and his family but seeing as that was Richard Fain I'm sure he didn't have to pay the rental fee 😏

Edited by [g]cruiserke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s actually a much better deal than an alcove on Silhouette.

its $249 for a sea day and ONLY includes 4 bottles of water, no champagne or grey goose or beer or soft drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it not $150 USD per person for an Edge Split Cabana?  The Cabanas are all sold out for our sailing so they seem to be popular.  Like the idea of your own little oasis outside on a sea day …

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing at all like a pvt Oasis with the constant  through traffic and swirling wind...but hope it works for OP...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, [g]cruiserke said:

 

Don' t let the naysayers get to you, that's indeed a nice list of perks, the three bottles of booze and other drinks by themselves would set off most of the $150 cost and even though you can get most of the other stuff like food and towels for free elsewhere on the ship, having them delivered to your private lounging area adds that bit of pampering which makes it fun to be on holiday. 

 

There were also lots of games in the cabanas as well we noticed when we were in the Edge in December so that's a nice extra perk. We may have been lucky with the weather on that cruise but I don't remember this area being particularly windy.

 

I'd guesstimate the cabanas were being used about 60-75% of the time, which was a higher usage than I've seen on the Solstice ships. 

 

One Cabana was booked out for the entire week by the same guest and his family but seeing as that was Richard Fain I'm sure he didn't have to pay the rental fee 😏

 

You don’t get all 3 bottles. It says “choice of one of the folllowing”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

 

You don’t get all 3 bottles. It says “choice of one of the folllowing”.

Yeah, I noticed after submitting my reply it's a choice of three, not all three bottles ☺️. Still, looking at the price Celebrity charge for a bottle of Veuve, paying $150 for the Cabana setup including that champagne is still a good deal, it's less than the pre-order price for a bottle. 

Screenshot_20190213-184244__01.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [g]cruiserke said:

 Still, looking at the price Celebrity charge for a bottle of Veuve, paying $150 for the Cabana setup including that champagne is still a good deal, it's less than the pre-order price for a bottle. 

 

Exactly my thinking!  Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it sounds great not to have to hunt for a space and to have all of those amenities.  People walk by lounge chairs all day long - so what?  I love when people tell others how to spend their money.  I hope our Canadian Tourist friend has a great time.  Please report back if you would.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JFontaine said:

I think it sounds great not to have to hunt for a space and to have all of those amenities.  People walk by lounge chairs all day long - so what?  I love when people tell others how to spend their money.  I hope our Canadian Tourist friend has a great time.  Please report back if you would.   

I too hope Canadian Tourist has a great time and I’m sure they will.  I’ve been on the Edge twice and know the area, it is simply nothing I would enjoy.  I’m not a naysayer, often called a cheerleader on the X boards, so I thought I was giving advice that would be helpful, apparently not.

 

My guess is you haven’t been on the Edge so you are not aware that the walkthrough is to the Oceanview.  Also, I’ve read nothing about having “to hunt for space” by the pool on Edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trust your instinct.  What is good for you may not be for others.  We just got off the 2/3 sailing and booked the 6 person cabana (3 couples) for the last sea day.  Cost was $300.  The day ended up being overcast and some rain / sun mix.   It was also very windy and by afternoon, they brought us warm blankets and coffee.  Sitting outside, under cover (shade) with a view of the ocean, cannot be all the bad.  This is a cruise people.  Everyone has different reasons for being on board and for some, relaxing in an area like this, with a view of the ocean, beats the hell out of -13 degrees back home or being in an office.   Enjoy your cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the Jan 27th cruise on Edge. As the prior posters state, the cabanas are located on a main walkway. That area  was a wind tunnel the entire cruise , even on sea days. Plants were tipped over and the cushions were flying everywhere. NEVER saw them being used at any time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We passed by the cabanas many times.  You actually get to face the people walking by(and they can see you) and you, when no one is walking by(a lot of traffic), you cannot see the ocean.  No privacy at all.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • NCL Sail-Away Giveaway Sweepstakes - Win a 7-Day Cruise on Norwegian Joy!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...