Cruise Critic Community
CanadianTourist

Just Booked a Cabana on the Edge

I appreciate the input from those who have already sailed on the Edge. I was hoping the cabanas would have more privacy (rumor was they would block the walkway during mid-day, but apparently that causes problems elsewhere, so they have to let people through).

The only benefit I still see from the cabanas are:

1) Dedicated place to lounge that is your space

2) More personal services
3) For those of us who have bad knees and other issues getting up from the normal low pool loungers, the higher cabana couch seating looks MUCH more comfortable and accessible to me.

We actually had a wonderful day in a cabana on Dec 2, the first commercial Edge cruise, but they blocked off the ends so that people couldn't go through. People complained (understandably) so the next day they opened up the ends and someone who was posting on my live thread was not happy (he had booked in part because of the wonderful day I had described on my thread).

It was a port day and wind wasn't an issue. It was very comfortable, beautifully set up and the staff were great. We were their first paying customers and they couldn't do enough for us. We ordered cocktails with our package, had a lovely bottle of wine, a bucket of any type of beer we wanted (my DH wanted an IPA so they searched for IPAs and brought him 6 on ice). Someone offered ice cold towels as the day got hotter. Maike, one of our favorite people on the Edge, was our cabana butler and we had a lot of fun chatting with him, my DH read and I posted on my thread. Maike took our lunch order and we had a relaxing, delicious lunch.

We paid $400 for a full cabana, using OBC. Pricey, but I was on a mission to try as many things on the Edge in those 7 days (and worth it to us , especially since we had plenty of OBC to use up).

I talked to Maike a few weeks ago when I was back onboard (he was closing up the cabanas for the day). I asked if they still left the ends open so everyone could walk through and he said they did.  I asked if guests were upset when they found out that people would be walking by all day and he said that they warn people ahead of time - he said people have been enjoying them. I did notice the wind when I went through there. We were on a windy cruise.

Those of us watching the build noticed the walkway through there and couldn't imagine that they wouldn't have an alternate route for passersby (it is the path to the Mast Grill). Likely they will rework things on the Apex to block the wind and maybe have an alternate pathway. 

OP, I would say for $150 (either you have a half cabana or they've cut the price by a lot!) is a pretty god deal for the beer, wine, tons of bottles water (and can have sodas) - we took leftover stuff back to our fridge (two people can't drink that much). You will have some nice fruit and a great lunch. As long as you know that people will be walking by (and may stop to ask you about the cabana) and that there may be some wind and can deal with it, you should be able to enjoy it overall. Hope the stars align to give you a nice day!! 🙂

I would suggest not taking the ones on the ends (it's windier and people tend to gather at either end).

Here's a picture of the blocked off end:

image.thumb.png.ff69796b5864a2a047a6bab83aeae97c.png

image.thumb.png.1be87f469db945edad63e1b07b94a678.png

image.thumb.png.0d17426629d7ead00986212911398df9.png

image.thumb.png.4d63d01532c2c512a04ea2d50526940e.png

image.thumb.png.f095db629cb004e9a900b047ed7df01c.png

image.png.1075be4d89abd82e177e479e09c57340.png

image.png.1e45a4575a091f8ade326997f076d072.png

image.thumb.png.d84f3a2dd43bbcaac0950c0568fb25f6.png

image.thumb.png.3c22bbeaead863aa001fee35dabeed44.png

Two Halves:

image.png.f92ad02e96e997bacf520b517aeaaf14.png

Full Cabana

image.thumb.png.3f243a64382a3be939c29e94589bbc2c.png

Edited by vtcruising

Thanks VT!   I am very excited about it!  Most of the “problems” with the cabanas are not things that will bother me much!  I am just excited about the Edge in general and specifically for the cabana day now.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:38 PM, CanadianTourist said:

Thanks VT!   I am very excited about it!  Most of the “problems” with the cabanas are not things that will bother me much!  I am just excited about the Edge in general and specifically for the cabana day now.

It's good that people here who have been onboard have given you some feedback about the pluses and minuses so you will have a good idea of what to expect. You sound like the kind of person who will enjoy it despite the possibility for some issues.

I really miss the ship and can't wait to get back onboard - looking at those pictures of that beautiful sunny day in the cabana again have me dreaming ...

Enjoy your Edge adventure!! Please come back and tell us all about it. 🙂