Where's your quiet place onboard?

mef_57

I had 2 solo cruises late 2018 and they were quite different from each others.  Both had a lot of sea days, but one was a balcony with a couch in room, and the others was a dark inside cabin with only a desk chair for alternate seating.

I often cruise for R&R and am not much of a drinker and am frugal; so with inside cabins costing less, I am looking at alternative ship locations more conducive to reading or relaxing (but not napping).

Libraries are a given but many have limited hours. Do you find a closed bar or lounge? Find a quiet bar and ignore the staff and don't order a drink?  (It took me 9 days to find the lounge where all the other quiet people hung out on my last cruise).

• Like 1

Finding a quiet place on a cruise ship can be a challenge!  That is one of the first things I do when I board the ship.  After going on 25+ cruises over the years, I now know that outside on the Promenade deck is the nicest quietest place for me.  Especially if they have lounge chairs out there.  I like being outdoors, yet sheltered from the sun, and watching and hearing the passing ocean.  It can lull me to sleep and many people do just that.  My most recent cruises, though, have had a narrow promenade deck which only had regular chairs (so you can't stretch your legs out).  Was such a disappointment!  Not nearly as relaxing to sit up straight and, of course, you can't rest your head back and close your eyes.  However, as odd as this sounds, the other quiet spot during the day, is the nightclub/disco!  And there are usually some large upholstered chairs or sofas to stretch out on plus a great view of the sea since the location is high up on the ship. 

• Like 3

I like to read a lot on sea days, so I always look for a nice quiet spot.  I have used most of the places mentioned and they have all worked well for me.  I like the promenade deck with the ocean sliding by, the library if they have comfortable chairs, and any bar that is not open as they are usually very quiet and I can also usually find a well lit area.  

• Like 1

On most ships I have been on, I have been able to find a quiet spot on the upper decks.  Usually there is a corner out of the foot traffic.  I just watch a likely spot and if it is quiet enough, I settle in.  Often it still has a nice ocean view.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NSnJW said:

On most ships I have been on, I have been able to find a quiet spot on the upper decks.  Usually there is a corner out of the foot traffic.  I just watch a likely spot and if it is quiet enough, I settle in.  Often it still has a nice ocean view.

In my experience, every interior space (except for the nightclub) always has some music piped in, day or night...  It never ceases to amaze me how  they seem to think that music must always be heard no matter where you go (whether it is live or recorded).  Even an empty  or closed bar!  Promenade deck is best for peacefulness and the real feeling of sailing on the open sea - nothing like it!

• Thanks 1

I agree about  very upper decks...…..many times people don't like to sit up there. Example, most pools are forward and even farther forward might be an area that has some loungers.  And yes, smaller ships seem to be easier to find quiet places since there are not as many passengers:classic_smile:

I've just booked MSC Sinfonia for April 2020 sailing Venice and into Greece with visits along Croatian coast.  Not sure how warm upper decks will be at that time of year (particularly underway).  Sinfonia is a smaller ship ~2000 if full, but also predominately Italian which I hear are a sociable group type traveler. 

If space allows, I do bring handwork and listen to audiobooks, so piped in music can be covered up.  It is congestion or talking that might make it harder. 

The winter or shoulder seasons mean carving out space indoors.  I found the balconies on Cunard Queen Elizabeth to be quiet hideaways during their day time talks.  I would just go early and take a book reading until 'show time'.

Yes, those upper decks can get HOT!!!  If you don't mind sweating and getting burned while sitting still, that place is for you.  Any shade up there is at a premium and will move as the ship moves and the earth rotates; so it won't last long and you will have to get up and move your lounger in order to stay in the shade for any length of time.  Again, the best (and coolest) quiet space indoors is the nightclub during the day.  Promenade deck for lovely views, fresh air, shade (you have to sit on the shady side either port or starboard) and blissful peace.

On HAL ships, I go to the Crow's Nest bar during the day. Usually quiet (check your daily newsletter to see if there are events scheduled their during the day). They also are forward on an upper deck with a good view. Otherwise, I look for bars that are either not open, or don't have entertainment during the day. On Crystal, the Palm Court is usually a good choice. Outdoors, for most ships, I also like the promenade deck chairs. 

On 2/14/2019 at 2:38 PM, Splinter said:

On HAL ships, I go to the Crow's Nest bar during the day. Usually quiet (check your daily newsletter to see if there are events scheduled their during the day). They also are forward on an upper deck with a good view. Otherwise, I look for bars that are either not open, or don't have entertainment during the day. On Crystal, the Palm Court is usually a good choice. Outdoors, for most ships, I also like the promenade deck chairs. 

I'm going on my first HAL cruise in March and I'll definitely check out the Crow's Nest.

I'm always on the lookout for a quiet place to read.  A lot of ship libraries are not what they used to be, to put it mildly.  Some are just a bookcase at one end of a lounge (RCL's Brilliance).  Enchantment of the Seas used to have a great one, with ocean-facing windows.  That was years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if they converted that space to a money-making venture.

I second the suggestion of going to the nightclub during the day.  Great views, quiet, and one time I saw some dolphins swimming right alongside the ship.  It was like my own private show :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On RCL ships, my go to spot is the Viking Crown Lounge during the day. Not a lot of people, great view of the ocean and pool deck and I can catch a quick nap if need be! I tend to spend at least 2 - 3 hours a day up there. I'm a huge reader as well, so it's perfect for me.

8 hours ago, Friend100 said:

On an older / smaller / more traditional ship, many have wider promenade teak deck with lounge chair.  This is my favourite quiet place on a sea day/evening, and even better on a port day.

20180412_160453.jpg

What ship is this?

• 5 weeks later...

I have always been able to find a good quiet place in one of the bars.  The fist day I just look around and you can always find a bar that is open and no one is there because it is quiet and out of the way.  It is often on the front of the ship and has windows that I can see the wake of the ship.

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for Promenade deck or an aft, covered deck (I don't do much sun).

If I have an inside cabin (& I usually do), I want to be outside where I can see/smell the ocean while I read.  I only resort to empty spaces inside if the weather is wet/too cold.  [Last year in Norway, I camped-out in the back of the closed Horizon Court buffet during the cold/windy day.]

I often bundle up a bit, take 1-2 deck blankets & a thermos of coffee & head to Promenade for a few hours.

ENJOY!

• 2 months later...

My own cabin! 

I only book ones with balconies or windows, but I want to relax near my fridge, bathroom, "stuff" and bed. I prefer not to be around others as I can relax better with no distractions. To each his own.

1 minute ago, Go-Bucks! said:

My own cabin! 

I only book ones with balconies or windows, but I want to relax near my fridge, bathroom, "stuff" and bed. I prefer not to be around others as I can relax better with no distractions. To each his own.

Well, I have experienced that once, and you are correct - it is wonderful.  But I can't afford that on a regular basis, so finding an alternate is useful.  I have an upcoming 3 week trip and I might become a modern day Gollum if I stay in my inside cabin that long.

Last year I did 18 days solo on HAL's Eurodam with an inside cabin and one of the extra-charge cabanas. This was much cheaper than a solo balcony cabin and perfect for my needs. I had access to my reserved cabana spot from 8 -5, butler service to bring me breakfast, lunch & afternoon snack/champagne, with sunny or shady spots, depending on my preference.

On Celebrity, I like the deck 11 lounge at the front of the ship on the M class, or the Cafe al Bacio in the early mornings. Most recently on the Carnival Pride there was the Sunset Garden on deck 3 forward- I never saw anyone hanging out there.

Good luck & enjoy!

• Like 1

On Princess ships with a Skywalkers, that was my go-to place for a quiet place to read and relax during the day but lately it seems like more people have "discovered" this venue and it's not as quiet and secluded as it used to be. But still worth checking out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

When I was on the Marella Discovery the best place I found during the day was Bar Eleven. It's at the very top of the boat and not open during the day so very few people in there, those who were around were either reading or napping(!). If you get there early enough you can get a seat looking out the window and there's no music piped in so it's just a really nice place to relax and read a book during sea days.