New Cruisers & Honeymooners

junglecat

Hello:  Helping my DD and FSIL for their honeymoon.  They are cruising (Carnival) out of New Orleans on their honeymoon in September.  This is his first cruise her first to plan as an adult and to add to matters, we are veteran cruisers but have never cruised out of New Orleans before.  They will be flying down the day before (Sunday), and staying on for two days after (Sunday/Monday).  They will need no parking or transportation for this trip so that's doesn't make a difference.  Just looking for the best deal on being close to the port, and close to things to do as well as eating options.  It will all be new to both of them so any and all ideas welcome!  

Edited by junglecat

They want to stay close to the port?  I'd suggest a fun hotel in or near the Quarter and a taxi/Uber/Lyft to the port. 

If $$$ is not an issue, we like Hotel Monteleone on Royal in the Quarter.  We have also stayed at the Marriott and JW Marriott on Canal, and at the Courtyard just across Canal St. from the Quarter on St. Charles.  There are also a few boutique hotels throughout the Quarter we've used.  We got the Marriott on Priceline for $87.00 a night this last December for our NYE cruise.

Food:  We always have a meal at GW Finns when in NOLA.  Reservations needed.  Pelican Club is great.  We always visit Coops and Cafe Maspero for more laid back meals.  If they like BBQ, The Joint out in the Marigny (an easy 2 mile walk or bike ride from Jackson Square) is the best BBQ I've ever had.  Blue Oak BBQ is also really good - an easy streetcar ride from the Quarter.