Clay Clayton

Picture on keycard?

I may be misremembering from our first Viking Ocean cruise last year, but I thought they had us email or upload pictures of our passports prior to the cruise. This resulted in no need for them to take a picture when we boarded, our passport picture was already in their system and magically appeared on our stateroom keycard.  Am I imagining this?  If not, should I be worried that Viking hasn't asked for a jpg of our passports this time around?  Maybe they still have our pictures in their system, but they can't have DMIL who is cruising with us this time since she is a VV.

Thanks for any help in helping me remember!

No picture on the card. It pops up on their screen. Probably take a picture of any new cruiser at the port. Ours were in the system from a river cruise.

They scan your passport when you check in.  Security photo is taken from that.

We were told they uploaded the picture from our passport file, which we find a little unsettling, but it sure was easier not submitting or posing for a picture! 📸

Ah...they pulled it from our passports. I didn't remember them taking a picture. Curious, Cilcianrqts, why you found it unsettling that they pulled your picture from your passport file? Seems logical to me.

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

No picture on the card. It pops up on their screen. Probably take a picture of any new cruiser at the port. Ours were in the system from a river cruise.

no they definitely didn't take our picture.  I really remember having to scan my passport at the office and send them a picture of it.

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

We were told they uploaded the picture from our passport file, which we find a little unsettling, but it sure was easier not submitting or posing for a picture! 📸

maybe they can upload it directly once they have our number rather than having to send them a picture of the passport....how long ago was this for you?

32 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Ah...they pulled it from our passports. I didn't remember them taking a picture. Curious, Cilcianrqts, why you found it unsettling that they pulled your picture from your passport file? Seems logical to me.

We view a passport as a government document for government use when we travel.

Use by a private company for “ convenience” is outside that scope.

It’s like people objecting to banks copying your drivers license data when you want to cash a check. If they want you to present a photo ID to cash their checks, let them provide it.

12 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

maybe they can upload it directly once they have our number rather than having to send them a picture of the passport....how long ago was this for you?

Fall 2017.

5 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Fall 2017.

So before we sailed...interesting.  Maybe I am wrong on having to send a picture of our passport in to them.

Thanks!

I doubt you had to send a copy in.  You probably remember having to fill out all the passport info in your pre-cruise information form.  As I stated above, they now scan the passport at check in and use the photo from that.  As for being an official government document, that is what they are using as.  It is no different than when you check in for an international flight.  The airline has an RFID reader that extracts the passport info and links them into the TSA system (in the US anyway) and in turn has access to your photo.  The use of your passport to board an international cruise carries with it the same security requirements as boarding an international flight except they are not tied into any national data system (volume of pax would not justify it).  No issue of convenience or invasion of privacy, just security and they are assured that their on board photo matches your passport should an issue arise.  Actually, any convenience is that of the pax by not having to fool with having a picture taken.

if you have a newer 'chipped' passport ... when you checkin and they 'swipe' your passport the picture is available to them

when we checked in mine went thru fine but day two of the cruise we got a note in the room to visit the front desk as DW had no picture on file (computer burp?) and they took her picture to be in their "in and out" file for security.

our passports were not run thru a 'scanner' as in making an X-ROX ... just the edge was 'swiped'  ..... technical tidbit ....

RCCL now asks you upload a picture in their 'online checkin' process to speed things up. I didn't last time <Nov> and it probably added 3 minutes for the gate person to take our pictures .. again, for the security team at the on/off check point.

Edited by Capt_BJ

NEVER had to send photo or passport image to Viking.  Just sailed again on Viking Ocean a couple months ago.
They DID take our photos on boarding day.

That ^^^ makes more sense as a current photo is far more useful than an aged passport photo.

Edited by philw1776