Cruise Critic Community
Syracusefan44

Road To Hana Excursion

15 hours ago, Aesop081 said:

I'm plugging the Vanilla Macadamia Nut.  To die for.  Had one at Queen ??????? mall in Kahalui with chewy caramel in with the vanilla Mac...oh oh oh...my

This is for independent travelers (not Princess cruisers):  Better than ice cream is Guri Guri at the Maui Mall.  Only one in the STATE.  https://www.mauimall.com/store/tasaka-guri-guri/

Kahului (across from the other port/near the airport)

I was there for a week.  We had a Jeep, and drove to Hana and then around the whole southern part of the island on past Palapala Ho‘omau Congregational Church.  There is also a nice stop with water falls, seven sacred pools at ohe'o right before the church.  If yo u must take a tour, i would check and see if they go to these stops.

You can see the Big Island on a clear day.  Not much around the southern part of the island, no true citys and one service point (more of a tourist shack, fill up with gas before leaving Hana).  But was cool to do, pretty and landscapes changed often.  Once back on the western part of the island, we went up to the top of haleakala.  I don't know how long you have, and its a pretty long road trip, but that was an awesome day, and probably my best memory of Hawaii out of two week plus trips.  You cold cut out Haleakala to save time.

We rented a car and drove a portion of the Road to Hana, but we both said we would take an excursion next time.....we felt that although it was nice to stop when we wanted, the driver missed much scenery when the car was moving bc the road takes concentration.  

I think you are doing the right thing with an excursion.  With a ship excursion, the ship will wait for your excursion to return or take responsibility for getting you back to the ship.

Edited by GloriaF

On 2/13/2019 at 12:05 PM, Syracusefan44 said:

Thanks so much for all the information.  We decided to book the 8 passenger limo van thru Princess. 🛳️

I would never consider booking Hana except through Princess...

Good choice...

Have a great excursion.

We spent 3 days on Maui so had the time to drive all over which is really a good way to see Hana and the rest of the Island. 

We always do private tours but for this one did it thru Princess and was an awesome excursion.

Did get somewhat carsick on the way down but after a few stops was fine.

Would do it in a smaller vehicle if possible as you want to make lots of stops.