New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

43 minutes ago, ober134 said:

https://www.italiarail.com/

I did a mock booking here... it's all English so was easy to navigate. I could order tickets(2nd class) here for 2 people, roundtrip for $27 (USD). Tickets are from Civitavecchio to S.Pietro station-direct. Trains appear to depart every 15-30 mins. and there is a 4 hour window in which the tickets will be valid.

Can someone confirm what I am seeing? What are the cons (if any)? And is this a workable and valid option? 

This is simply an expensive way to book a regular regional Trenitalia train.  The actual fare for this is 18,40 euro, which at current rates is about $21, so you're paying about $6 more than buying on site.  Not a huge amount but that's all it gets you, a ticket.  There is no seat assignment and you'd be riding on the same packed trains as everyone else.  You could book it for less directly from Trenitalia rather than the reseller.

The Civitavecchia Express costs more but it offers guaranteed seats, working AC and no stops between Civitavecchia and Roma S. Pietro.  The biggest downside, other than the higher fare, is the limited times it runs.  It costs you time in Rome you would have if you took the regular, overpacked trains.

Thank you EuroCruiser.  I think my major concern is the number of people in port that morning, many of whom will be vying for those limited 1400 Express tickets. I've read thru all 90+ comments here. One thing I haven't seen is the return times on the Express. Any idea what times to expect? Our ship isn't scheduled to depart Civitavecchio until 20:00.

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It costs you time in Rome you would have if you took the regular, overpacked trains.

Can you further explain? It looks like there are multiple commuter trains departing S.Pietro. If I can get the Express tix at times that work for our ship time that's great, but I'm looking for options/Plan B considering the huge number of  fellow cruise passengers coming and going that day.

The Civitavecchia Express trains depart at 9:35 and 10:15 in the morning from Civitavecchia.

The returns are at 15:37 (3:37 PM, arrives 4:30) and 16:30 (4:30 PM, arrives 5:20).

The times are the problem, they leave late and return early.  If it works for you, the tickets should be purchased in advance from Trenitalia.

There are plenty of regional trains that will get you back in time for an 8 PM departure.  If you want to, you can spend more (16 euro) for a Frecce train at 18:27 (6:27 PM) that arrives to Civitavecchia at 19:14 (7:14 PM).  With this train you get a guaranteed seat and a non-stop trip from Termini.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Stpetersberg said:

We are going there on the 21st Sept. How are you doing it?  Thanks.

I followed Euro Cruiser's instructions in post 30.  The hardest part for me was just finding the "buy" button to start the purchase!  Finally found it at the very top of the page on the left in small print.  After that it went easily 🙂  

15 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

I followed Euro Cruiser's instructions in post 30.  The hardest part for me was just finding the "buy" button to start the purchase!  Finally found it at the very top of the page on the left in small print.  After that it went easily 🙂  

I didn't know a bus ride was also required. We thought that you could just walk to the train station from the port and then walk from  Rome station to the attractions?

10 minutes ago, Stpetersberg said:

I didn't know a bus ride was also required. We thought that you could just walk to the train station from the port and then walk from  Rome station to the attractions?

The bus is definitely not required.  If you don't want the bus included, instead of putting in Civitavecchia Porto in the departure field, put in Civitavecchia and look for the 9:35 am Express train.  We're just trying to maximize our time, because 5 hours in Rome will go fast 🙂  

We plan to use the metro in Rome to get around quicker (I hope to spend a lot of our time at the Forum).  

On 3/31/2019 at 3:15 PM, euro cruiser said:

Information on the arrival and departure points is in my original post at the beginning of this thread.

To purchase tickets in advance go to https://www.trenitalia.com/.

Enter "Civitavecchia" in the from (da) space.

Enter either "Roma S. Pietro" or "Roma Ostiense" in the to (a) space.

Enter your date in the departure (andata) space.  Remember that dates are in the  day-month-year format.  Enter the time of day.  Hit search (cerca).

The trains are listed in time order, look for the train identified as "Civitavecchia Express".  the fare should be 10 euro, if not you're probably looking at the wrong train.

If it's the one you want, follow the instructions for purchase.

Thanks for this info.  I have the following screen displayed:

what is is difference in 7.50€ ticket and 10€ ticket?

2324467A-C532-4196-8DBF-471EEE975BDE.png

1 hour ago, Formerly known as Seabee said:

what is is difference in 7.50€ ticket and 10€ ticket?

€7.50 ticket is the round trip fare (€15)

I assume if you are only going one way it won't let you purchase the €7.50 one. 

On 7/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, euro cruiser said:

There are plenty of regional trains that will get you back in time for an 8 PM departure.  If you want to, you can spend more (16 euro) for a Frecce train at 18:27 (6:27 PM) that arrives to Civitavecchia at 19:14 (7:14 PM).  With this train you get a guaranteed seat and a non-stop trip from Termini.

I think back on board time is 6.30PM?

On 7/7/2019 at 8:45 PM, euro cruiser said:

I think it is a back on board for 6.30pm?

36 minutes ago, Stpetersberg said:

I think back on board time is 6.30PM?

To be safely on board by 6:30 the latest you'd want to arrive at the station in Civitavecchia is 6 PM.   

The Civitavecchia express that leaves Ostiense at 4:30 PM and San Pietro at 4:43 would work perfectly for you, this train arrives back at 5:20 PM, which leaves you plenty of time to get back to the ship.

The next train only gets you another twenty minutes in Rome and gets to Civitavecchia at 6:05 PM, kind of pushing it.

www.trenitalia.com

It was NOT the "easy walk to the train station from the pier" as anyone could imagine, apparently! We met a couple who attempted this in the heat and they gave up and just went back to the ship. We did the right thing, stuck with the excursion booking, paid more money for it but gathered some valuable helpful info from the tour guide. As the bus proceeded on to the train station, we instantly realized it simply was NOT doable in the heat! Sorry to the couple we met that tried and thought it would have been an easy go.

14 hours ago, johnjen said:

It was NOT the "easy walk to the train station from the pier" as anyone could imagine, apparently! We met a couple who attempted this in the heat and they gave up and just went back to the ship. We did the right thing, stuck with the excursion booking, paid more money for it but gathered some valuable helpful info from the tour guide. As the bus proceeded on to the train station, we instantly realized it simply was NOT doable in the heat! Sorry to the couple we met that tried and thought it would have been an easy go.

Were you recently there? Did you take the ship's excursion? The couple you met could have taken the bus available at the pier, no need to walk in the heat to the train station. 

No, it sure wouldn't be any fun in summer heat.  That's why we always go in the spring or fall. 

This train is a good option for those of us who have been to Rome and prefer to DIY without a guide.  

Edited by Cruising-along

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, johnjen said:

That couple could have used the free port bus and then transferred to the local shuttle bus (2 Euros per person).  Walking is certainly an option (DW and I normally enjoy the stroll) but is no fun if its real hot.  Like the other poster we prefer to avoid Rome in July and August (will be back in Oct).

Hank

On 7/19/2019 at 11:35 AM, Cruising-along said:

Were you recently there? Did you take the ship's excursion? The couple you met could have taken the bus available at the pier, no need to walk in the heat to the train station. 

No, it sure wouldn't be any fun in summer heat.  That's why we always go in the spring or fall. 

This train is a good option for those of us who have been to Rome and prefer to DIY without a guide.  

We were there just last week and took the ship's excursion. We'd do it this way again if we were to return to Civitavecchia. And yes, that's the reason we took the train and once there just walked around the city a bit. We've both been to Rome a few times. DW recently went this past March on a separate student trip. I felt that the excursion offered much more value than just getting on a train on your own.

Now, I cannot remember who said it specifically - on this thread, maybe - but alluded that the walk from the pier to the train station is mere minutes. That simply was not true!

Edited by johnjen

Civitavecchia is a very large port, there are some berths that are closer to the fort and the train station, from one of those berths to the station is a mile to a mile and a half, certainly walkable for most people in less than a half hour.

That said, none of the behemoth ships can use these berths, only smaller ships could fit there.

When NCL Epic docked in Civitavecchia, there were shuttles to the port entrance. There you can catch the "Portalink", the shuttle to the train station. There is a small kiosk where you can purchase the ticket for it. If you look on google maps. The port drop-off/pick up spot is the large parking lot behind (NNE) of the police station at largo della pace.

3 hours ago, Brew-man said:

So if one wanted to walk, would you have to from the birth itself or does a ship/port buss take you to some type of terminal first and you walk from there?

There is always a port shuttle bus but it takes you to an exit further away, from there it is a mile walk to the station.  For those at the close in berths who want to, you can walk right from the ship.

9 hours ago, johnjen said:

I felt that the excursion offered much more value than just getting on a train on your own.

Your ship excursion may -- ours (HAL) was either a 10-hour tour to parts of Rome we aren't interested in seeing again, or the "transfer only" excursion that would give us no more time in Rome than doing it by train on our own and still taking 10 hours because of the long bus ride from port to Rome and back. A very long day for no more time in Rome. 

Glad it worked out for you!

• Like 1