New Civitavecchia-Rome Express Train April 1 2019

euro cruiser

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Your ship excursion may -- ours (HAL) was either a 10-hour tour to parts of Rome we aren't interested in seeing again, or the "transfer only" excursion that would give us no more time in Rome than doing it by train on our own and still taking 10 hours because of the long bus ride from port to Rome and back. A very long day for no more time in Rome. 

Glad it worked out for you!

How's HAL anyway? Been wanting to look into those.

4 hours ago, johnjen said:

How's HAL anyway? Been wanting to look into those.

We love HAL.  Like all cruise lines, over the years there have been some cutbacks, but overall we're still very satisfied.  It will depend on which ship, so entertainment and specialty dining varies.  

We sail Celebrity too (not as much) but when it comes to European cruises I think HAL has them beat for offering cruises longer than 10 days in Europe.  Also anyone, with no prior sailing history with HAL, is able to get either the by-the-bag laundry (as often as you wish) for $20 ($30 in Europe).  Unlimited laundry is $7/day or $9/day in Europe.  Not having built up enough loyalty on Celebrity, we either sail shorter cruises or bite the bullet and pay by the piece laundry.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question with regards to the transfers from the Port..

I was wondering how early we could get to the Roma Termini Station the last day of the Cruise ..

I understand that the fast train from the port doesn't go to Termini...?  

We are going to explore the Alps for a few days before catching a River boat and need to make a connection at Termini

Thanks 

Colleen 

1 hour ago, got2gocruzn said:

I was wondering how early we could get to the Roma Termini Station the last day of the Cruise ..

We are going to explore the Alps for a few days before catching a River boat and need to make a connection at Termini

The Civitavecchia Express that are advertised specifically for cruisers do not go to Termini but the regularily scheduled Regionale and Regionale Veloce trains go there frequently (with multiple stops along the way) and the Intercity and Frecce trains do as well (with no or one stop).

In the morning, there are non-stop Freccebianca trains to Termini at 9:16 am and 11:16 am and significantly more Regionale departures. 

If you search for trips on the Trenitalia website you can see the various schedules. If you want to include the bus shuttle from the cruise port to the train station, use "CIVITIAVECCHIA PORTO" as your departure station . 

Edited by cmich068
  • Like 1

The earliest train to Termini departs Civitavecchia at 5:05 and arrives at 6:25 (Monday - Saturday, the first one on Sunday is at 5:58).  Odds are you can't make that.

There are between 2 - 4 trains every hour through the morning so it's relatively easy to get a train to Termini fairly quickly after arriving at the station in Civitavecchia.

We were originally going to catch the Express train, but decided not to due to their timings and lack of frequency. We are just going to catch a standard train once we walk or catch a bus/taxi to the station, depending on how far it is and the weather.

If anyone else is planning on doing something similar, maybe we could meet up?. There is safety in numbers lol.

Regards

Barry & Eileen

Thanks everyone 

We are working on our Swiss travel now.. Any suggestions ? We're going to Tranio for the first night off the ship,, Bernina Express to Chur -stay, Next Glacial express to Zermatt- stay , to Interlaken stay 2 nights , on to Basel.. working on if the Swiss 1/2 fare card  or 4 day flex card?? (Traveling 5 Days)    Doing the Math and Convenience of Travel..  Hotel suggestions ,, we have booked but can change 

Thanks 

Colleen 

On 8/12/2019 at 12:58 PM, got2gocruzn said:

Thanks 

Colleen 

Adding to some of the other comments, the challenge is if you are on some kind of real schedule.  Otherwise, you just get off the ship, wait for the next port shuttle bus, and then later transfer to the local bus that will drop you at the station.  Trying to predict how long this will take is very difficult...especially early in the morning.  You can get lucky and hop on those buses as they are getting ready to leave.  But you could also get off the ship and find yourself waiting for 15 min (or more) for a shuttle bus which might then wait another 10-15 min.   And when you arrive at the transfer point (Largo della Pace) you might have little wait for the train station bus...or you could again find yourself waiting 15 min.  Keep in mind that the various regional trains do not require advance reservations so it is just a matter of buying your ticket when you get to the train station.

Hank

The idea of taking this express train is appealing, even though it's a little later that I prefer.  But i wonder about the logistics of it.   I can book a seat from Civi Port to SanPietro, which indicates that I catch the Autobus at Largo Dello pace at 9:20, arrive to the train station at 9:28, and the train leaves at 9:35.

If 400 people have this ticket, will there be enough Autobuses for all of us?  

But first i have to catch the port shuttle bus to Largo Della Pace.  There's no way to know how long you might have to wait for this shuttle.  How many are in service from 7am - 10am ? and how many people do they hold?

It seems like your timing would have to be perfect in order for this to work out.  You'd have to be early to catch a port shuttle, then hope there are enough Autobuses to get us all the train station. 

If you miss it, it's not like your ticket can be used on another train.

It might be less stressful to take the shuttle to Largo D PAce, then walk to the train station, buy a BIRG ticket for whichever train comes along next.  But buy an express ticket for the return to Civi.

Has anyone used the express train and can tell me how you handled the timing of the shuttle? 

When I was planning for our most recent Med cruise share the concerns that mapleleaves expressed above. However, my experience was very good.

We dis-embarked in Civi on Aug 14 2019.  Beside our Oceania Riviera, there was a MSC ship at the dock. Our plan consisted of going to Bologna after disembarkation.  Because of the concerns that I had similar to mapeleaves, I only pre-booked the train from Rome Termini to Bologna, and I selected a ~12 noon departure.  The rest we go with the flow.  And the flow was actually pretty smooth in our case.

We self-disembarked at 8am and our shuttle bus to the port entrance left at 0820.  There, we paid 2 euros per person for the bus to the Civi station.  It was full after we boarded and several couples were forced to wait for the next bus.  The bus ride took about 5 to 7 minutes.

At the Civi train station, we had the option to book the regional train or the Freccebianca train to Roma Termini.  Either options will take us to Termini way ahead of our ~12 noon departure for Bologna.  We bought our ticket for the Freccebianca, and had 2 seats next to each other.  I was prepared for the situation of separate seating due to this last minute purchase, but it did not happen.  One party that was left behind when the bus to Civi Station was full showed up about 15 min later, also waiting for the Freccebianca.

We had almost a couple hours to kill in Roma Termini, grabbed some lunch, but the key is that I had no time pressure.

Just did the trip from Rome to Civitavecchia yesterday on the Intercity 510 - very easy. 

We then did the Portlink bus to the cruise terminal - €2 each, we purchased our tickets at the bar inside the station but the driver was selling them directly on the bus as well.

Easy trip and would definitely do again. Can't go wrong with €12 each from Termini to the ship. 

I am confused about the buses which go between Civitavecchia Port and the Station.  Please excuse me if I seem a bit dim as I probably am, but will blame my age 🙂 

Does the Portlink bus go directly from the port to the station, or do you need to pick it up at the drop off point of the port shuttle bus when it reaches Largo Della Pace?

In either case is it easy to find the bus (either local or Portlink) to the station (if not any hints please)?

Can we pay on the bus or do we need to buy tickets in advance?

Also, can we take our luggage on either of these buses and, if so, which bus would be best for luggage?

Edited by tring

The local and Portlink buses are one in the same - it's just special branding for the route. You can catch it from Largo Della Pace or from the train station (stop across from the entrance). 

There is a ticket booth at Largo Della Pace and the bar/tabbaci shop inside Civitavecchia Station sells tickets too. When I rode it from the train station last week, the driver was selling tickets on board as well but I don't know if that's common practice. Of course you can also buy a bus ticket as part of your Trenitalia rail ticket.

You can bring luggage on board but it is just a standard public transit bus, no specific storage spaces on board, just suitcases in the aisles etc. 

Edited by cmich068

4 hours ago, cmich068 said:

The local and Portlink buses are one in the same - it's just special branding for the route. You can catch it from Largo Della Pace or from the train station (stop across from the entrance). 

There is a ticket booth at Largo Della Pace and the bar/tabbaci shop inside Civitavecchia Station sells tickets too. When I rode it from the train station last week, the driver was selling tickets on board as well but I don't know if that's common practice. Of course you can also buy a bus ticket as part of your Trenitalia rail ticket.

You can bring luggage on board but it is just a standard public transit bus, no specific storage spaces on board, just suitcases in the aisles etc. 

Thanks for the info., much appreciated.

On 9/2/2019 at 4:15 AM, cmich068 said:

Just did the trip from Rome to Civitavecchia yesterday on the Intercity 510 - very easy. 

We then did the Portlink bus to the cruise terminal - €2 each, we purchased our tickets at the bar inside the station but the driver was selling them directly on the bus as well.

Easy trip and would definitely do again. Can't go wrong with €12 each

What is the difference between 1st class and 2nd class? I did a mock booking( as we wont  be in Civitavicchi until April 16, and all the dates I put in showed that 1st class is not available. Can you keep your luggage with you for the trip into Rome with 2nd class?

We are booked on the Freccebianca which is a long distance train from Genoa to Rome and it leaves Civitavcecchia at 11.16 am . That does have first class - I do not know about others.

The prices are searchable, but we got a special 2 for 1 offer currently on for Saturday travel only.  I think April is too early to be picking up offers yet, but do not know their systems - we are travelling in October.

For travelling with luggage I suggest you see this thread, https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2677190-rome-termini-station-to-civitavecchia-by-train-with-luggage/

Edited by tring

15 hours ago, vizslapup said:

Is the intercity train 510 the regional train or the Freccebianca train?

Neither, it is faster and more expensive than the Regional train but (one or two minutes) slower and cheaper than the Frecce. Ours departed Rome around 9:55 for 10:40 arrival in Civitavecchia. 

15 hours ago, vizslapup said:

What is the difference between 1st class and 2nd class? I did a mock booking( as we wont  be in Civitavicchi until April 16, and all the dates I put in showed that 1st class is not available. Can you keep your luggage with you for the trip into Rome with 2nd class?

On the Intercity train I rode on, first class has larger seats and a 2-1 seating configuration while second class had a 2-2 configuration. Both had luggage storage between seats and some second class coaches had luggage racks as well. 

• 1 month later...

Are the weekend trains different?  In port on Saturday Nov. 2nd. from 7am to 7pm. Three ships in port that day. My plan was to get off immediately when allowed and walk to the train station and grab a regional train to Roma Termini. Looking on the Trenitalia site today it is telling me the trip will take 2 hour and 18 minutes with 2 changes??? I don't understand,  the weekday schedules have an 1 hour travel time with no change of trains. I am trying to avoid taking the express so I can leave earlier. 

image.thumb.png.f41026e60b7484b8195ac09811205c21.png

Google Maps is giving me the correct train info to get to Roma Ostiense (no change of trains??)

image.thumb.png.7e06532bc34b68c73e4586523e51c69b.png

Edited by True Romance

The problem is that you are looking at regional trains too far in advance.  For whatever reason the Trenitalia system doesn't fully load the regionals into the system more than a couple of weeks in advance.  If you look at the schedule for the upcoming Saturday you'll see what will be available when you're there.

Another thing to take into account is where the trains finish in Rome (and may be why you are looking at changes in the journey).  The express trains put on specifically for cruise passengers stop somewhere out of the city centre, but by a good metro station, so access is easy to wherever you want to spend the day.  Our Freccebianca train goes direct to Rome Termini, which is very near to our hotel, but not best placed for the tourist attractions.

11 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The problem is that you are looking at regional trains too far in advance.  For whatever reason the Trenitalia system doesn't fully load the regionals into the system more than a couple of weeks in advance.  If you look at the schedule for the upcoming Saturday you'll see what will be available when you're there.

Thank you, I was hoping 3 weeks out the schedule would be accurate but I guess not. I was having some panic that maybe construction or something else might be delaying the trains and changing the route.  I do see on Friday 10/31 & Monday 11/3 the trains have the accurate no change of trains schedule. Crossing my fingers there is no unforeseen obstacle that weekend.

I am good going either to Ostiense or Termini. Going to either hop on a metro or walk to the Colosseum from there.