Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mfs2k

Poolside Cocktail Service

Recommended Posts

 

How is poolside cocktail service on Celebrity Caribbean cruises?

 

Are there enough servers circulating around the lounge chairs?  Do you have to chase them down to get a drink or are they there when you want them? 

 

Do most of you give a cash tip to a cocktail server every time they bring you a drink,  or you don't bother carrying cash to the pool and you assume the included gratuity is enough?

 

I'm going on Celebrity (Equinox) for the first time next month. 

 

Thanks for your input. 

Edited by mfs2k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pool service on Equinox, Silhouette and Summit was excellent!  No chasing necessary. No tipping necessary.  Just sit back, relax, and order away 🍹

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2018 on Silhouette the servers were scarce. Had to go to the poolside bar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No matter the ship, I always sit on the deck above the pool deck and have always received prompt service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While sitting at shaded places on the pool deck, there were  almost  always bar servers who provided great service on Celebrity ships.  :classic_cool:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With regard to tips, it kind of depends whether you have a beverage package or not. If not, you will have to sign a slip after ordering and you can easily add an additional tip at that time. With the beverage package, a gratuity is already included with each drink. I almost never have cash with me on board now that we sail with the beverage package, so I go with the included gratuity and then visit my favorite bartenders with cash at the very end of the cruise to thank those that have provided exceptional service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Equinox, poolside drink service was good, but you had to wait a little more on busy sea days. 

If I was really, really desperate, I trucked myself up to the bar. But didn't have to do it too often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always take at least a hundred in ones, fives etc for tipping...drink package or not...but don’t remember the last time I sailed without a drink package. Service improves when the cash comes out, bank on that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down at Guest Services, you can pick up 'Comment Cards'..to complain or commend about service and/or staff. They are available every day of your cruise.

A positive sunny comment about Crew will win them a extra hour sleep, half day off, etc. 

These comment cards are ready daily, and are worth their wealth in support and gold $$$ confirmation for the  Crew.

Your comments/confirmation about the crew is worth  a million dollars!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I always take at least a hundred in ones, fives etc for tipping...drink package or not...but don’t remember the last time I sailed without a drink package. Service improves when the cash comes out, bank on that...

Also bring extra smaller bills for tips and have had similar experience. Sure of this...DH is usually the “extra” tipper and he tends to get faster service than me if a bartender has not seen us together. As many have said...a personal choice whether to extra tip or not. A reasonable (yes, subjective) tip has always been well worth it to us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alsmez said:

With regard to tips, it kind of depends whether you have a beverage package or not. If not, you will have to sign a slip after ordering and you can easily add an additional tip at that time. With the beverage package, a gratuity is already included with each drink. I almost never have cash with me on board now that we sail with the beverage package, so I go with the included gratuity and then visit my favorite bartenders with cash at the very end of the cruise to thank those that have provided exceptional service.

If you got a drink package as a perk you really should tip on top of that, especially if you got good service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

If you got a drink package as a perk you really should tip on top of that, especially if you got good service.

That's your opinion and your personal preference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

That's your opinion and your personal preference. 

Indeed it is. It’s also my opinion that someone that doesn’t tip a server, especially when they have an unlimited, included beverage package is a cheap a**. YMMV, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swampbabe said:

Indeed it is. It’s also my opinion that someone that doesn’t tip a server, especially when they have an unlimited, included beverage package is a cheap a**. YMMV, of course.

How do you know who tips and doesn't. Or just assuming. Falls under the category of none of your business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, davekathy said:

How do you know who tips and doesn't. Or just assuming. Falls under the category of none of your business. 

I seem to have struck a nerve. I simply said that someone that doesn’t tip on a free drink package is cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is an 18% gratuity included on both the packages and if no package then on each individual drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swampbabe said:

I seem to have struck a nerve. I simply said that someone that doesn’t tip on a free drink package is cheap.

Nope. Only pointing out how very judgmental you are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

I seem to have struck a nerve. I simply said that someone that doesn’t tip on a free drink package is cheap.

 

But the drink package is not free, it's included.  If you are lucky enough to get an unbundled price you will see how "free" it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

But the drink package is not free, it's included.  If you are lucky enough to get an unbundled price you will see how "free" it is.

It is still unlimited and if you purchased each of those drinks individually plus the 18% gratuity it would cost you quite a bit more than the package price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Nope. Only pointing out how very judgmental you are. 

And I’m okay with that. Some people need to be judged. Being a Floridian I have seen MORE than my fair share of cheap tourists treating servers like crap. You can always take the measure of a person by how they treat service workers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Swampbabe said:

And I’m okay with that. Some people need to be judged. Being a Floridian I have seen MORE than my fair share of cheap tourists treating servers like crap. You can always take the measure of a person by how they treat service workers.

Loud, rude and demanding people yes. I have yet to ever notice if someone hands a server a tip or not no matter where we are. Only speaking for myself I'm very discreet when I tip. I guarantee you'll never see the exchange take place so I guess you would assume I stiffed the server. All I'm saying its a personal preference which makes it no ones business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Swampbabe said:

If you got a drink package as a perk you really should tip on top of that, especially if you got good service.

 

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned that I distribute tips at the end of the cruise to those who have provided exceptional service. Also, I never stated that I got the package as a perk, not that that really matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We spent a couple of days on the deck above the pool on the Equinox at Christmas.  Drink service was pretty much nonexistent.  We routinely went to the bar for drinks.  I'd have been happy to provide some additional tips if we'd gotten initial service.  Not sure what the problem was.  Still had a great time, with plenty of drinks and got a few extra steps in!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 2711 said:

2018 on Silhouette the servers were scarce. Had to go to the poolside bar

We were on Silhouette in December 2018 and had excellent service around the pool deck. In fact we never had to look for a server since they were constantly circulating. In addition to cocktail servers constantly circulating taking and delivering drinks, there were servers with iced carts containing soda, water and beer readily available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...