Cruise Critic Community
flyingshoes

Shipping luggage home at cruise end

I think this has been discussed but I can't find the thread. 

Particulars: Symphony cruise debarking Singapore April 26, same day flight Changi to Haneda departs 1355 to join another cruise the following day, three large cases and want to ship one to Texas home, delivery to front door upon return home 17 days after handoff in Singapore, contents clothing and shoes.

Relatively tight timing from debark to flight means I want reliable handoff to forwarder and not wait for a long pickup window.  Forwarder must clear and hold luggage at home end until agreed delivery window.  Cost is a factor but at most 3rd in importance.

Luggage Concierge or Luggage Free?  

When we leave the ship we use Luggage Concierge and have used it in many places including Singapore.

Why?

Even though the cost is higher than Luggage Free/Luggage Forward I do NOT want to worry what happens if no one arrives to the port.

If it is Luggage Free then I would look for Crystal to take care of the issue which they would.  Either they would call Luggage Concierge and if they didn't show up I would expect them to take it to another port of call for handoff to Luggage Concierge.

If I used Luggage Free or Forward and they didn't show up then it is all up to me.

When I  ship items to the ship then I look at Luggage Concierge and the alternatives and have used Luggage Free.

Keith

We have used Luggage Concierge for years with no issues at all and you can track the delivery. 

I certainly don't want to badmouth any business but we knew a lady who was on Serenity for 2 segments, Perth-Capetown-Rio. She never got her luggage till Capetown, had to spend a fortune buying clothes and necessities. She used LuggageFree. Several other friends always use Luggage Concierge with never a problem. Nuf said.

For Canadians, we would not support Luggage Concierge.  Terrible hassle after our 2015 NWP cruise.  I believe they work satisfactorily in the US market.

Thanks all.  With LC do you hand the bags to their person, or do they pick up from the ship directly without my needing to wait for them, or something else?  

Just now, flyingshoes said:

Thanks all.  With LC do you hand the bags to their person, or do they pick up from the ship directly without my needing to wait for them, or something else?  

This varies by port and can change overtime.

In some ports you don't have to go through customs/immigration and the port agent coordinates this so you don't see your luggage until it arrives home.  

In many ports you will claim your luggage and then when you exit the port you turn it over to Luggage Concierge.

As I said this can vary not only by port but can change voyage to voyage/year to year, etc., however the last time we used LC in Singapore we did have to claim the luggage and turn it over to them outside the terminal.

Keith

We used Luggage Concierge once. The hand off in the Ft Lauderdale terminal was quick and easy. However, our bags arrived at our home in terrible condition.  Whose fault?  Probably UPS, the carrier.  Luggage Concierge reimbursed us for damage, but only after a hassle.  

Once luggage leaves the agent, it is at the mercy of the shipper. I’m not certain any of the luggage services can control this aspect of the service. 

I posted the following account earlier this year:

“I  didn’t use Luggage Concierge because our bags were demolished on a previous Luggage Concierge shipment. Fortunately it was post cruise. Our bags arrived at our home scuffed and looking as though they had been dragged through or dipped into a bin of dirt. One bag had two rips that were beyond repair. 

I had before and after photos of the bags and submitted them to the company. They agreed that the one bag was destroyed and reluctantly paid for replacement. Fortunately no contents were damaged. Still, it was a hassle.”

Good point to have a photo of the luggage pre- and post- to strengthen your claim.  I probably would also have an inventory of the contents of the bag.

We take pictures of our luggage always and tags.  You should do this when checking luggage with airlines as well.

Good points by ChansonDeLaMar and by 8dimsum.

We take photos of the luggage and while time consuming have an inventory list of what goes into each piece.  We also number each piece of luggage and that goes on the respective inventory list we prepare.

We do this when we check luggage for a flight and when we ship luggage.  It is helpful should a piece go missing, or should a piece be damaged or if for whatever reason an item(s) are removed from the bags.

It is helpful when filing a claim, and also should something go missing for awhile or for good.

Keith

On 2/14/2019 at 8:05 PM, MalbecWine said:

We take pictures of our luggage always and tags.  You should do this when checking luggage with airlines as well.

DUH!   I am shocked that I never thought of this!  Will now do regularly.  THANK YOU.

It’s not the inventory but your lugaage.  How many people keep receipts for every item packed?  

On 2/14/2019 at 7:05 PM, MalbecWine said:

I have done this but it doesn't help with the airlines. For example - I had this unusual red suitcase with a blue pom pom. The only thing the airlines wanted to know was "soft or hard", "upright or horizontal" and then a basic color such as "red, black, blue, etc..". When I tried to show them the picture - they didn't even look. 

Photos of the outside of the luggage is good to show the condition of the luggage for luggage lost or damaged.  It is also helpful should for whatever reason all your tags or the majority of them get removed from the piece. 

To me what is key for us has been having a complete list of what goes into each piece.

Sometimes we have been asked what is in the missing piece so we have that.

Second should we have to follow a claim we have that complete list of what was in each piece.

Third if our bag does missing say before we arrive to the ship we know precisely what is in that piece so we can think through impacts if it does not show up and if there are any items we should go out and purchase.

But the majority of why we do all of this is to be able to file a claim, know what is missing if a piece or more go astray and know if items are missing for all pieces that did arrive but someone got into our luggage.

As I mentioned we have a list for each piece and that is for those being sent to the ship and those being sent home and each list has a number on it that corresponds to a number on each piece of luggage.

It is time consuming but has been very helpful to us.

Keith

We are not taking the time to count numerous undwear items or stockings. If they want it they can have it.  We are not OCD about every item being shipped.  We have never had a problem with luggage concierge.  Everything has arrived as packed.    We do list expensive items but not trivial garments.  Too each their own.

Yes to each his/her own.

We find it worth the effort to prepare the lists for the reasons I mentioned.

It has served us well.

It has nothing to do with Luggage Concierge.  It has a lot to do with things that can go wrong that is out of their control such as in Customs, Immigration and with the Delivery Company whether sending items domestically or internationally.  It is in these ares that problems can occur rather in areas that are in the control of companies such as Luggage Concierge, Luggage Forward and Luggage Free.  The things they have control on are picking up the luggage from ones home and or ship and making the shipment arrangements and tracking the luggage, and providing its customers with updates/tracking numbers, etc.and very importantly being there if something goes wrong (eg., answering the phone 7x24) and knowing how to cut through the red tape.

On a related note we send items earlier then required when going to the ship.  We know they already have pad in their schedule but we add in additional padding.  This served us well when in Vancouver local immigration/customs removed the vendor information from the luggage and one item was temporary missing until Fed Ex actually got a hold of us (benefit of having our contact information on the inside and outside of the luggage).

Since we knew what luggage did make it through before that one was located and we had an inventory list should our piece had not been recovered in time for that cruise we could have bought a new piece and items that we needed.  Since we were going on the Northwest Passage cruise if the items related to being out in the cold it was critical that we would have them and given the itinerary it's not like we had stops along the way where we could have found the required items at a store because most of those places didn't have stores.

Like most things each person should do what makes sense for them.  For us it has worked out well and worth the effort. 

The vast majority of our items are not underwear but that one is really easy to inventory.[

Keith

The NWP is entirely different from a regular cruise where items are hard to replace.  We don’t list every single item just major items which most of the time go with us and not shipped. We don’t keep receipts for small items that are easily replaced if lost or stolen plus our home owners insurance will cover and we take out additional insurance with Luggage Concierge.  We only make a list of what is expensive not stockings or underwear etc including inexpensive souvenirs.  So far so good with Luggage Concierge and very nice people.

It's really no big deal that we have a different point of view.

Many of our cruises are very long.  We bring a lot of luggage and that is why we began to do lists.

Then we had two issues (one airline and the other cruise) with less luggage and we decided to make lists for all cruises/land trips.

It has served us well.

With that said, I recommend that people do make the lists because should something go lost it will make things easier to file a claim or to purchase items if it is before the cruise begins IMHO.

Keith

And don't forget to cross pack and not put all your underwear in one bag. That way if a bag does go missing you don't have to go commando.

Before there were packing cubes, I used grocery bags and put them in my suitcase.  We went on a 2 week Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon and my brand new duffle bag suitcase split like a baked potato with all my clothes going around the luggage carousel in Miami.  Those were the days the cruise line actually picked up your bags for you and they were to appear in your cabin. For some reason we decided to check that our bags arrived.  Imaging 12 pair of shoes, all my underwear and bathing suits going around! 

Awk!  Imagining the 12 pairs of shoes...  for a 2 week honeymoon cruise.   Hello Miami!   Awkward.

16 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

my brand new duffle bag suitcase split like a baked potato 

OK, that's a great turn of phrase.

18 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

And don't forget to cross pack and not put all your underwear in one bag. That way if a bag does go missing you don't have to go commando.

Before there were packing cubes, I used grocery bags and put them in my suitcase.  We went on a 2 week Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon and my brand new duffle bag suitcase split like a baked potato with all my clothes going around the luggage carousel in Miami.  Those were the days the cruise line actually picked up your bags for you and they were to appear in your cabin. For some reason we decided to check that our bags arrived.  Imaging 12 pair of shoes, all my underwear and bathing suits going around! 

Memorable! 🙂