Miffed about Power strips and towels

KCGreg

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I'm reluctant to plug my devices into "public" USB ports, despite the devices having selectable options for allowing data transfer or charging only.  I have a "block" that plugs into a wall outlet that gives me my own USB charge ports and allows me to charge as many as 5 devices from it.

Fortunately, I don't need any other outlets except to charge a camera battery.

I normally agree, but it was nice to be able to have my phone charging at the bed (to use as an alarm clock or whatever). Unfortunately, as a CPAP user, at night the one plug gets used for the extension cord to power that. And if you leave stuff plugged in during the day, the cabin steward will normally unplug it. I think its time to invest in some USB "condoms".

4 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

or on others just scanning one card with no formal tally that I could discern to confirm number of towels taken. 

If you watch, they reach down a type the number of towels.

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I normally agree, but it was nice to be able to have my phone charging at the bed (to use as an alarm clock or whatever). Unfortunately, as a CPAP user, at night the one plug gets used for the extension cord to power that. And if you leave stuff plugged in during the day, the cabin steward will normally unplug it. I think its time to invest in some USB "condoms".

For your CPAP, you can contact special needs on Royal, and they will have an extension cord and distilled water waiting in your cabin when you board.

8 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I use my own USB power block rather than the provided USB ports in hotel rooms, planes, etc. for a different reason. I know that my power block is a good recent one that will provide enough current to charge my devices in the time I expect. There is usually know way of knowing the output capacity of the built in ports. They are often inferior and occasionally I've run into ones won't even provide enough power for modern higher consumption devices to maintain charge. 

In addition to the power block, I bring along an external battery such as the ones made by Anker. I can charge that during the day and use it on the nightstand at night to provide power for my phone. I have another external battery for taking along in case I need extra power during the day that I charge at night. 

On our Navigator of the Seas cruise in November we received a "reminder" to return our towels on the last day. We actually had already returned them by that time but since we had to go to Guest Services anyway I queried it with them and they said, "Oh, don't worry about it. We're giving that out to everyone now."

Towel reminder.jpg

5 hours ago, hallux said:

I'm reluctant to plug my devices into "public" USB ports, despite the devices having selectable options for allowing data transfer or charging only.  I have a "block" that plugs into a wall outlet that gives me my own USB charge ports and allows me to charge as many as 5 devices from it.

Fortunately, I don't need any other outlets except to charge a camera battery.

I have a USB charging block like you describe, but it has a European plug.  That leaves the US plug for everything else.

8 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Try a cruise on a luxury line.  No checking in/out of towels - in fact, they are put out on every lounger, and there are large deck boxes with them for you to just take as you need.  Ditto with stacks at the gangway for you to grab as you need.

You don't need to go as far as luxury lines. Celebrity allows free use if their pool towels. I've never had to account for the ones I've used. We just take what we need and dump them in the bin when we're finished with them.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and never saw anyone being allowed to take more than 2 towels .They had to show their seapass card too.

I should add that my last Celebrity cruise was in 2013 ,therefore ,it is possible that they changed things.

I guess everyone on our last B2B were all scofflaws then. The towel bins at both the pool and solarium were unattended and I watched guests helping  themselves all day, every day. The attendants periodically restocked and emptied the used towel bins, but I never saw them card anyone nor did I experience that. Indeed on one cold and windy day the attendants were freely passing  out extra towels for chilly guests to wrap up in (they later switched up to handing out plaid blankets.)

3 hours ago, cb at sea said:

Even resort hotels scan your room key for pool towels.  I don't see the issue...if you're responsible, you'll return them...if not, you deserve a charge...not that they actually ever collect it.

No hotel (resort or otherwise) at which we have stayed has ever scanned (or otherwise) "signed out" a towel.

3 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I have been on many Celebrity cruises and never saw anyone being allowed to take more than 2 towels .They had to show their seapass card too.

I should add that my last Celebrity cruise was in 2013 ,therefore ,it is possible that they changed things.

On every Celebrity cruise I have been on I have been able to take as many towels as I wanted. I usually took one to lay on the lounger, one as a head rest, and one for under my knees due to back problems. Never had a problem taking three. There was always large stacks of towels in several places around the pool areas. And this has been for over 10 years of cruising with them. And never had to show my seapass, ever. 

Same experience on Princess as well. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Try a cruise on a luxury line.  No checking in/out of towels - in fact, they are put out on every lounger, and there are large deck boxes with them for you to just take as you need.  Ditto with stacks at the gangway for you to grab as you need.

They are put out on every lounger on the mainstream lines too. 😎  

(ETA- which actually brings up a good question- does checking out towels reduce the number of towels used for "reserving" chairs on the pool deck?)

Edited by sparks1093

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

As mentioned by others, I have to also respectfully disagree. In the last 2-1/2 years we've been on 5 Celebrity cruises and have never had any limitations on how many towels we could take, either at the pool or with leaving the ship.  We have also never had to show a SeaPass card to get them.  In fact on several occasions the pool attendant happened to be near the towel bin and asked us how many we wanted as he handed them to us.

Either things have changed dramatically since your last cruise, as you indicate, or you are mistaken as to which cruise line you are referring to.  Perhaps others can confirm the process during the time of your last Celebrity cruise.

8 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No hotel (resort or otherwise) at which we have stayed has ever scanned (or otherwise) "signed out" a towel.

Just back from a short 5 night cruise on Brilliance, stayed in a beach resort in Clear water after. Had to check out Beach  towels at the front desk and they had to be returned by 10pm or you would be charged. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

I asked my better half ,she does not remember the towel situation.We were on the Silhouette  and twice on the Summit.

Just to confirm, two of our recent cruises with Celebrity were on Summit as well with the towel policy as described.  The others we on "S" class ships.

17 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I have a USB charging block like you describe, but it has a European plug.  That leaves the US plug for everything else.

I have one that is also an adapter from Euro, US, UK, and Aussie,  to any of the others.  Plus 2x USB charge ports.

I normally plug this into one of the Euro outlets, and I can still plug something else in, plus charge two devices.

From Amazon.

Agree it is a pain to check out towels but not such a big deal to be something to complain about.  We check them out the first day then exchange during the cruise for clean dry ones.  Check back in on the last day.  As usual blame those that leave in port because they are too lazy to bring them back.  And yes they can get them on a sea day planning ahead so check out is necessary all the time.

One benefit to this is that you usually do not have as many chair hits as they are afraid of getting charged for missing towels.  Even if it cuts the number in half I see it as a win.

• Like 1