Drinks Package?

JamieLogical

45 minutes ago, eneq said:

I highly doubt you'll be outcasts. Just because they are focusing their marketing towards the under-40 crowd doesn't mean it will be only be younger people on the ship. I'm sure there are plenty of people of all ages (other than those under 18 of course!) who will enjoy VV's atmosphere and offerings. 

I agree.  Marketing to create perception and reality are two very different things.  Just look at the models pictured in any cruise brochure, then look at the reality on any cruise.  Very different.  The same will be true of VV.  US society is quite diverse in every aspect, and it will be on VV as well.  Also keep in mind VV has stated many times that it's a cruise line for anyone who is looking for an adult-only, out of the box experience.  All are welcome, so long as you're an adult.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

@resstation thanks for coming to my defense. I didn't feel attacked by the other posters. I fully understand that some people prioritize drink packages in their cruise choices and some people don't. I was surprised that Virgin is not going to offer any, because I felt that I was initially their target demographic, and I know it is a priority for us. They have clearly made a calculated decision that may or may not pay off for them. I was very much looking forwards to kid-free cruises with interesting food and entertainment. I was very happy about the inclusion of the "drag bunch". But for us, having to stress about a "drink budget", constantly think about every decision to buy a drink, paying close attention to drink menu prices, and potentially having to sign for every drink is just not our idea of fun. I would happily pay MORE up front to not have to think about every tiny decision on a vacation. That's one of the things we truly love about cruising. It allows us to truly relax.

Between the lack of drink packages and the short cruises, Virgin just isn't for us right now. Maybe down the line if they make some changes, we will reconsider. I hope that all of you who do decide to cruise with Virgin had a wonderful time and it meets all of your expectations!

There should be no explanation necessary for asking a pertinent (TO YOU) question. We all learn from the answers. We either learn about the topic at hand or we learn that some people just want to judge others and feel superior. It is tiresome. You didn't feel attacked by other posters YET, give them some time. That being said, I LOVE these boards because I have learned so much from the people who truly want to share their experiences, knowledge, pictures. So helpful. 

• Like 2

On 2/14/2019 at 6:12 PM, JamieLogical said:

I really don't get the logic behind the decision not to offer drink packages. Given the demographic they are targeting, alcohol is a pretty big deal.

Perhaps this differs by country.

But drinking in young people is falling sharply in many countries, especially in the likes of the UK. They are moving away from drinking to excess and numbers of total non-drinkers are rising in the exact age range VV is aiming at.

Lots of people still at it, of course, but, it is falling and if it continues to fall then packages would be a waste of time.

On a personal level I've always found drinks packages to be hard to justify. If you're spending all day off the ship then you really need to guzzle down your drinks to make the price worth it. That is, unless the cruise line is one for over-pricing their drinks.

But they are convenient, and I do get how it could help some people stay within budget.

We did our first cruise last year, after being regular AI people.  We definitely prefer the "no signing".  It's not about how much we drink but just the effort of having to sign everywhere, and knowing the up front cost.    

We reserved yesterday, but for the September cruses.  Ideally, any kinks will be worked out and they'll take feedback, including Bev packages into consideration by then!

• Like 1

Hopefully this is slightly on topic...

Just on-line chatted with VV and got the following info:

Q:  I just booked a SCB and I see it comes with a "fully stocked in-room bar" - what does this entail? Does it include beer, wine and liquor? Is it re-stocked throughout the voyage?

A: As of right now it is to be determined. You should find more info closer to the cruise. I do know it will be a mixture of liquor. No beers as of right now.

9 minutes ago, GW248 said:

Hopefully this is slightly on topic...

Just on-line chatted with VV and got the following info:

Q:  I just booked a SCB and I see it comes with a "fully stocked in-room bar" - what does this entail? Does it include beer, wine and liquor? Is it re-stocked throughout the voyage?

A: As of right now it is to be determined. You should find more info closer to the cruise. I do know it will be a mixture of liquor. No beers as of right now.

I either read or was told, can't remember, that the in room bar will be liquor, not the tiny bottles, and it will not be refreshed.

8 hours ago, bobhosk said:

Perhaps this differs by country.

But drinking in young people is falling sharply in many countries, especially in the likes of the UK. They are moving away from drinking to excess and numbers of total non-drinkers are rising in the exact age range VV is aiming at.

Something else to consider along those lines is how health focused the ship is - with big workout areas (they claimed they would have enough weights no-one would ever wait for them) and large spa and even a vegetarian restaurant.  I would not be surprised if it were an underlying focus to really try to attract more health-oriented cruisers, a market I think may be somewhat untapped.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 11:36 PM, crazycatlady11 said:

Well, I guess we'll be the outcasts on board, then. We're not part of "the younger demographic," but we love the concept of no kids, innovative restaurants (that hopefully won't serve dumbed-down meals, since they are going for an urban-food-scene vibe), an overnight in Cuba ... Heck, they had me at "drag queen brunch." And we'll be enjoying our share of craft beer and cool cocktails -- lack of a drink package isn't an issue for us. Hopefully the hip 30-something youngsters won't openly mock the old people in their midst.

It’s about being young at heart not a number. It’s geared to you younger mind set that enjoy being active and staying up past 9pm lol 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, kgelner said:

Something else to consider along those lines is how health focused the ship is - with big workout areas (they claimed they would have enough weights no-one would ever wait for them) and large spa and even a vegetarian restaurant.  I would not be surprised if it were an underlying focus to really try to attract more health-oriented cruisers, a market I think may be somewhat untapped.

Many people who cruise are big boozers so all the health options are quite a change.

One of the nice things of a Drinks Package is receiving a drink and not worrying about disposing of it if the drink is not of a person's liking. If that were the case, I would expect VV to treat the drink as they would in a standard bar or restaurant and sub out the drink for the passenger. Trying new drinks and not having to worry if you are risking money on something that you do not like sounds like the opposite of a vacation for me. I would much rather pay a higher premium for a drinks package than pay a lower cost per drink, at least, on vacation

• Like 3

I was curious about this and I knew there would already be a thread on CruiseCritic, LOL. We are probably close to Virgin's target demographic (early 40s, no kids) and while we are pretty happy with what Celebrity offers, we would love to try out this line. We have sailed Celebrity both with and without drink packages and we VASTLY prefer to sail with them. It's not about overconsumption or getting our money's worth for us, but instead about not having to decide whether it's really worth it to spend $3 on that Perrier or $5 on an espresso for an entire week. It's also nice to have your wine glass refilled at dinner without having to mentally tally the cost, or worry about whether the bartender stiffed you on a pour of Scotch. 

Anyway, the lack of packages won't keep us from trying Virgin but it is certainly a factor in our decision-making process for our next vacation. Obviously we'll all know more once the first few sailings are complete, and hopefully they will realize that drink packages can really enhance the relaxation factor of a vacation for many people.

BTW, the tattoo parlor at sea sounds like it was dreamed up by someone who studies hipster trends but has never had a tattoo themselves. My DH has several and he always has to schedule them around our Caribbean vacations because you can't (or shouldn't) swim with a fresh tattoo!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alsmez said:

BTW, the tattoo parlor at sea sounds like it was dreamed up by someone who studies hipster trends but has never had a tattoo themselves. My DH has several and he always has to schedule them around our Caribbean vacations because you can't (or shouldn't) swim with a fresh tattoo!

Yeah, no swimming or SUN on a fresh tattoo, so it does seem like a bad idea for a cruise...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

Yeah, no swimming or SUN on a fresh tattoo, so it does seem like a bad idea for a cruise...

LOL, I forgot all about the sun part - my husband is SO WHITE that he never ventures out without most of his skin covered up anyway! 🤣

I am thinking the tattoo parlor might be doing a lot of temporary tattoos (with just surface ink that would wear off after a week or two, and you could swim with).  I think a lot of people might go for that on a cruise.  So more transient skin art, than tattoo...

• Like 2

On 2/20/2019 at 2:11 PM, Alsmez said:

I thought about having my stomach repierced, but then thought of the pools and spa. Immediately nixed that idea.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, kgelner said:

I am thinking the tattoo parlor might be doing a lot of temporary tattoos (with just surface ink that would wear off after a week or two, and you could swim with).  I think a lot of people might go for that on a cruise.  So more transient skin art, than tattoo...

I love the idea of temporary tattoos!! Ive never had a tattoo and that would be super fun. Henna even! I hope Virgin is monitoring these boards and get the idea

8 hours ago, resstation said:

I feel like they would make a TON of money on quality temporary tattoos. 

I think Virgin should offer temporary stick-on vinyl sun tattoos for those who don't want permanent ink.  It'd be cool if they had a Virgin logo tattoo in addition to other images like butterflies, hibiscus flowers, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2019 at 3:51 PM, eneq said:

I agree. All of their marketing is geared towards a younger demographic. Plus, Branson has said it will be a "party ship."

On 2/15/2019 at 9:22 AM, eneq said:

I highly doubt you'll be outcasts. Just because they are focusing their marketing towards the under-40 crowd doesn't mean it will be only be younger people on the ship. I'm sure there are plenty of people of all ages (other than those under 18 of course!) who will enjoy VV's atmosphere and offerings. 

Branson only says “young at heart”...he’s not just targeting millennials.  And from the facebook group I’m on for the maiden voyage, most of us are far from that.  And not sure how folks are so quick to nix Virgin for a cruise because there’s no drink package.  They said the drinks will be well priced...so until you actually know the price of drinks, perhaps folks shouldn’t be pre judge.  Just wait and see they come up with....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

And not sure how folks are so quick to nix Virgin for a cruise because there’s no drink package.  They said the drinks will be well priced...so until you actually know the price of drinks, perhaps folks shouldn’t be pre judge. 

"Reasonably priced" or not, paying per drink is a hassle and layer of stress that I don't need when I am on vacation. A huge part of the appeal of cruising for me is the the "all inclusive" nature of it. I'm sure many people will be fine with it and might even find it preferable, but it's just not for me. If they do add drink packages somewhere down the road, I will certainly reconsider. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

"Reasonably priced" or not, paying per drink is a hassle and layer of stress that I don't need when I am on vacation. A huge part of the appeal of cruising for me is the the "all inclusive" nature of it. I'm sure many people will be fine with it and might even find it preferable, but it's just not for me. If they do add drink packages somewhere down the road, I will certainly reconsider. 

Gotta agree...neither my DH or I are boozers - we drink in moderation and don't get drunk or overdo anything. But for us, part of the pleasure of a Caribbean/warm weather cruise is the food and drink...the poolside relaxation, enjoying those creamy umbrella drinks, nice wines with dinner, a cocktail in the club or during a show.

But frankly, the biggest use of our drink package wasn't booze - it was numerous bottles of water and all the espressos and other specialty coffees we had in the am before gym workouts. In the pm after dinner.

It's the combo of both that made the pkg such a good value for us. LOVED being able to try so many new things, without worrying about per drink charges.

Neither of us drinks sodas or fruit juices or uses  the spa or internet during cruises, so for us, those things have zero value. Just like drinks pkg has no value for others. Hopefully, they'll give those that do want it a chance to buy it at a reasonable cost.

We tried our first ever drink package on Celebrity and I was hooked. I do want to try Virgin too...but think I'll wait a couple of years to see if they may soften their stance on packages.

Edited by Flafun888
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, Flafun888 said:

But frankly, the biggest use of our drink package wasn't booze - it was numerous bottles of water and all the espressos and other specialty coffees we had in the am before gym workouts. In the pm after dinner.

I guess there's no bottled water on board according to their FAQs. Instead, they have filtered water stations so you can use your non-single use water container. (In an earlier FAQ they had the statement that the basic bevvies included both still and sparkling water, so I'm assuming that's served water rather than everyone getting their own plastic bottle of water.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fshagan said:

I guess there's no bottled water on board according to their FAQs. Instead, they have filtered water stations so you can use your non-single use water container. (In an earlier FAQ they had the statement that the basic bevvies included both still and sparkling water, so I'm assuming that's served water rather than everyone getting their own plastic bottle of water.)

There are many alternatives available for bottled water including aluminum and glass bottles or paper boxes.

14 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

There are many alternatives available for bottled water including aluminum and glass bottles or paper boxes.

They are trying to eliminate the waste caused by one-use containers. Viking Ocean provides still or sparkling water to all guests in glass containers refilled daily. The quality is excellent! I'm sure Virgin will do something similar.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, twodjs said:

They are trying to eliminate the waste caused by one-use containers. Viking Ocean provides still or sparkling water to all guests in glass containers refilled daily. The quality is excellent! I'm sure Virgin will do something similar.

The no bottled water thing makes sense to me...I wouldn't mind packing a refillable water bottle or two on every trip - it's what I do at home - rarely drink bottled water. As a lover of reefs and all ocean critters, reducing disposable plastic, straws, bags, etc is wonderful in my book. Heck..they can pour my margaritas and rum runners right in there, if they like - I don't even need a separate glass. (But I'm still holding out for a drink package!) :classic_biggrin: