Shoes for Cave Tubing

joy4ron

We booked the cave tubing for next month. I know there's a bit of a hike. We were thinking of buying some water shoes, but I'm wondering what we should get.  Does anyone have any recommendations? 

I don't know how much use they will get elsewhere.  We booked the beach break in Cozumel and a beach break at Mahogany Bay

Keens are probably amongst the best.  But IMO the best shoes for cave tubing are old (to you) sneakers/running/walking shoes.  Ones that the support is starting to go and you have newer pairs.  Wear them to the cave tubing, then drop them in the donation box by the merchandise store. Bring other shoes or flip flops/sandals to change into when done.  For Coz and MBCC beaches, flip flops or regular sandals are perfect.

I had water shoes with thin soles and no support, bad mistake. You walk a long ways, several river crossings and rocks rocks rocks. I would buy a cheap pair of tennis shoes since you don't foresee using them much.

• 4 weeks later...

If you wear water shoes, be sure they have good soles.  On our tour, we had to walk in shallow water across the river with a rocky bottom.  Then, the trail up the hill required decent footwear.  Hubby has some that have a sole like sneakers.  Mine are a bit thicker than the cheap ones you get at walmart, but not as thick as his and they were fine.  The recommendation of wearing old sneakers and the rubber sandals are good, too.