My stateroom is above a dance floor

sunlilacs

Hi everyone, I'm a first-time cruiser and I already made a rookie mistake. I'm going to Carnival Sunshine and my stateroom is on Deck 6 (6300). Do you guys think that the noise level will be too bad? It's not the Liquid Lounge but on the floor map it says that there is a dance floor on Deck 5. Has anyone booked a stateroom in a similar area? I am usually a light sleeper (it depends how tired I am) so I am worried that I will not be able to sleep at all. My husband and I also booked early excursions so it's not like we can just stay up until 3AM. I talked to Carnival and they do not have my stateroom at all, I would have to upgrade to a balcony which is $510 more and the main reason why my husband and I chose an interior stateroom was because it was cheap. Should I risk it and stay in that stateroom or upgrade? Any advice would be great. 

Bring earplugs for the noise and hopefully the thumping bass won’t shake you awake.  

If you are a light sleeper, you unfortunately won’t be getting much in the interior you’re likely stuck with. 

If you value your rest for the early excusions you chose to book, invest in the money it will take to get you in a cabin that is not over or under a noisy venue.

Last time I was on the Sunshine was 2015.  The "dance floor" that you see on Deck 5 did not get really rowdy or loud when we were there.  It was a live singer playing on a simple stage.  The Alchemy Bar is right next to it.  There were several tables.  My husband and I sat and watched the singer for a bit, and had a drink from the Alchemy.  We were able to talk and enjoy the company.  It wasn't a really loud area in my opinion.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KimEadler said:

Last time I was on the Sunshine was 2015.  The "dance floor" that you see on Deck 5 did not get really rowdy or loud when we were there.  It was a live singer playing on a simple stage.  The Alchemy Bar is right next to it.  There were several tables.  My husband and I sat and watched the singer for a bit, and had a drink from the Alchemy.  We were able to talk and enjoy the company.  It wasn't a really loud area in my opinion.  

Thank you for your input. Quick question, do you know what time it closes? I saw it was 12:00/12:30 AM, I do not mind that time at all, I'll probably be awake, I'm just worried if it goes to 2-4 AM.

Early in our cruising career we booked cabins on deck 6 and both times regretted it. Even if you're not booked right over a lounge, if you're near a stairwell (looks like you are) the noise comes up the stairs. If you can't change cabins I would bring earplugs or a fan.

4 hours ago, coevan said:

It will be the best $510 you ever spent. the only problem is once you get a balcony, you'll never go back.

I agree. I was in an aft balcony cabin last summer on deck 6, above the Punchliner. Since it was an outside cabin, I didn't think it would be an issue. It was. My white noise maker and the Ambien didn't help.

One of the best things (for me) is the sound sleep I get on a cruise ship. I love the gentle motion of the waves. It typically puts me right to sleep, but the music kept me up til the place closed. I would upgrade if I were you.

11 hours ago, coevan said:

It will be the best $510 you ever spent.

the only problem is once you get a balcony, you'll never go back.

I love these urban legends!!
"Once you do a balcony, you can never go back"

How many times have I disproved this? LOL!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Me too, I like having a balcony, but I also like the ocean view and the interiors. Money really isn't the deciding factor for me, it's preference. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

For some of us it is true. 😋 Last cruise we did an OV, next cruse, we're back to a balcony. Won't do that again. Can't imagine us ever doing an inside.

That being said, you are correct, many people change cabin types depending on different factors.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

Can't imagine us ever doing an inside. ===> LOL!

That being said, you are correct, many people change cabin types

depending on different factors.

Insides have their plusses too! They're inexpensive, compared to...

and when you turn the lights off, it goes blaaack!

Ocean Views are nice (all that lovely balcony area is included!)

- but morning light will wake you up, before you want to be up.
Carnival needs to consider BlockOut curtain linings for all OV windows!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

Me too, I like having a balcony, but I also like the ocean view and the interiors. Money really isn't the deciding factor for me, it's preference. 

So, if money is not a deciding factor, why would you take an interior over a balcony. 

7 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Agreed.  I have done balcony twice and have done oceanview since.  And I am booked in an inside next February.  For me, my favorite cabin is whichever one fits my budget at the time and gets me on the ship. 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coevan said:

So, if money is not a deciding factor,

why would you take an interior over a balcony?

I'm not like that but....

let's assume I'm a late-night party-er, drinkin.. smokin.. sexin..

I routinely crawl into bed around 0400 hrs.

Sun comes up at 0540 hrs. and wakes me up, dammit!

-and it's on my side of the ship, dammit!

There's NO Block-Out linings on the balcony cabin curtains

so even tho they're pulled shut, my photo-sensitive blue eyes

are working against me, and longer deeper sleep is a thing of the past!

OMG how I wish I'd booked one of those 'dark-hole Interiors'

where I coulda put a Do NOT Disturb sign on the door

and slept peacefully until lunch-time.

Takes all types to fill the freeway..

Takes all types to fill a cruise ship!

Oh God, here comes that sun again...

St.Kitts Sunrise.jpg

• Like 1

idk I'm sensitive to light too, and the balcony curtains have done a decent job keeping the sun from waking me up. in any case, OP, you made a great decision. If you're a light sleeper, I don't think you would have slept well near the dance club... And now you have a balcony! :)