Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
MichaelinME

Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

Recommended Posts

Got off the Freedom of the Seas a couple of weeks ago and the Diamond Plus cutbacks are so evident. Even including Pinnacles!!

Reserved seating for theater shows no longer exist, on Freedom of the Seas anyways. Studio B Ice skating shows are reserved seating for Suites only. 

No Diamond Plus or Pinnacle reserved seating like in the past, just last year we had this.  Royal seems to be catering to the Suite crowd and not there loyal repeat guests who frequent the ships. 

On another note, priority debarkation wasn't offered either, even though its still listed as a perk , along with reserved seating at shows was listed but gone. Priority tendering is gone also. In room Diamond Gift is now 3 cookies, LOL! 2 small bottles of water and 2 cans of soda or juice whichever is in your preferences.

Diamond/Diamond plus used to have a small section in the lido buffet, like chops or Giovanni's to sit in to bring your breakfast. Now that is only for Suite guests!

 

Its unbelievable how much Royal dilutes the membership in Crown and Anchor. No excuse for this.

More troubling is that I spoke to the Concierge lounge ambassador and he mentioned that there is talk to restrict Diamond members from the Diamond Lounges!! (overcrowding) 

As the ships go into drydock, the Concierge Lounges eventually will be Suite only lounges (renamed).  The Diamond Lounges will convert to Diamond Plus/Pinnacles only Lounge. Diamond members would no longer be admitted to the Diamond Lounge and will be able to only use there 3 Vouchers at any bar in the evening as there perk. This is ridiculous and unacceptable if its really going to happen.

 

What's with the drooling over Suite guests, that may only cruise once a year or two. All this catering to them, when Diamond/Diamond Plus and Pinnacles cruise much more often and keep there ships pretty full with repeaters.

 

Royal needs to stop this nonsense!! They are going to start alienating and losing the "bread and butter" cruisers on there ships in my opinion. 

What is the incentive to stay and generally pay more to cruise Royal? Just to get a few free drinks?!

 

Don't get me started about the other evident cutbacks in food quality and staffing, along with the barrage of nickel and diming. 

The selling of popcorn at the main theater shows is tacky also. $2.50 for a small bag and people chomping on this and spilling everywhere. No place to put your drinks, let alone eat popcorn! LMAOF

 

My 2 cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It this is so disturbing to you, why did you wait to post about it? Most of what you've posted is common knowledge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MichaelinME said:

Got off the Freedom of the Seas a couple of weeks ago and the Diamond Plus cutbacks are so evident. Even including Pinnacles!!

Reserved seating for theater shows no longer exist, on Freedom of the Seas anyways. Studio B Ice skating shows are reserved seating for Suites only. 

No Diamond Plus or Pinnacle reserved seating like in the past, just last year we had this.  Royal seems to be catering to the Suite crowd and not there loyal repeat guests who frequent the ships. 

On another note, priority debarkation wasn't offered either, even though its still listed as a perk , along with reserved seating at shows was listed but gone. Priority tendering is gone also. In room Diamond Gift is now 3 cookies, LOL! 2 small bottles of water and 2 cans of soda or juice whichever is in your preferences.

Diamond/Diamond plus used to have a small section in the lido buffet, like chops or Giovanni's to sit in to bring your breakfast. Now that is only for Suite guests!

 

Its unbelievable how much Royal dilutes the membership in Crown and Anchor. No excuse for this.

More troubling is that I spoke to the Concierge lounge ambassador and he mentioned that there is talk to restrict Diamond members from the Diamond Lounges!! (overcrowding) 

As the ships go into drydock, the Concierge Lounges eventually will be Suite only lounges (renamed).  The Diamond Lounges will convert to Diamond Plus/Pinnacles only Lounge. Diamond members would no longer be admitted to the Diamond Lounge and will be able to only use there 3 Vouchers at any bar in the evening as there perk. This is ridiculous and unacceptable if its really going to happen.

 

What's with the drooling over Suite guests, that may only cruise once a year or two. All this catering to them, when Diamond/Diamond Plus and Pinnacles cruise much more often and keep there ships pretty full with repeaters.

 

Royal needs to stop this nonsense!! They are going to start alienating and losing the "bread and butter" cruisers on there ships in my opinion. 

What is the incentive to stay and generally pay more to cruise Royal? Just to get a few free drinks?!

 

Don't get me started about the other evident cutbacks in food quality and staffing, along with the barrage of nickel and diming. 

The selling of popcorn at the main theater shows is tacky also. $2.50 for a small bag and people chomping on this and spilling everywhere. No place to put your drinks, let alone eat popcorn! LMAOF

 

My 2 cents. 

I also thought this was tacky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mets123 said:

It this is so disturbing to you, why did you wait to post about it? Most of what you've posted is common knowledge.

How is removing the reserved seating at events common knowledge, when it is still listed as a perk for D+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MichaelinME said:

Got off the Freedom of the Seas a couple of weeks ago and the Diamond Plus cutbacks are so evident. Even including Pinnacles!!

Reserved seating for theater shows no longer exist, on Freedom of the Seas anyways. Studio B Ice skating shows are reserved seating for Suites only. 

No Diamond Plus or Pinnacle reserved seating like in the past, just last year we had this.  Royal seems to be catering to the Suite crowd and not there loyal repeat guests who frequent the ships. 

On another note, priority debarkation wasn't offered either, even though its still listed as a perk , along with reserved seating at shows was listed but gone. Priority tendering is gone also. In room Diamond Gift is now 3 cookies, LOL! 2 small bottles of water and 2 cans of soda or juice whichever is in your preferences.

Diamond/Diamond plus used to have a small section in the lido buffet, like chops or Giovanni's to sit in to bring your breakfast. Now that is only for Suite guests!

 

Its unbelievable how much Royal dilutes the membership in Crown and Anchor. No excuse for this.

More troubling is that I spoke to the Concierge lounge ambassador and he mentioned that there is talk to restrict Diamond members from the Diamond Lounges!! (overcrowding) 

As the ships go into drydock, the Concierge Lounges eventually will be Suite only lounges (renamed).  The Diamond Lounges will convert to Diamond Plus/Pinnacles only Lounge. Diamond members would no longer be admitted to the Diamond Lounge and will be able to only use there 3 Vouchers at any bar in the evening as there perk. This is ridiculous and unacceptable if its really going to happen.

 

What's with the drooling over Suite guests, that may only cruise once a year or two. All this catering to them, when Diamond/Diamond Plus and Pinnacles cruise much more often and keep there ships pretty full with repeaters.

 

Royal needs to stop this nonsense!! They are going to start alienating and losing the "bread and butter" cruisers on there ships in my opinion. 

What is the incentive to stay and generally pay more to cruise Royal? Just to get a few free drinks?!

 

Don't get me started about the other evident cutbacks in food quality and staffing, along with the barrage of nickel and diming. 

The selling of popcorn at the main theater shows is tacky also. $2.50 for a small bag and people chomping on this and spilling everywhere. No place to put your drinks, let alone eat popcorn! LMAOF

 

My 2 cents. 

could you imagine how much popcorn would be spilled if there was no charge for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been gone from the Anthem and Adventure for a while (most current cruises).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the Grandeur after the drydock and hope they don't get ride of theDL. The smaller ships don't have that many suites so hopefully not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mets123 said:

It this is so disturbing to you, why did you wait to post about it? Most of what you've posted is common knowledge.

Its because I was busy and finally had the time to write a review of what I saw. 

all of the perks missing on freedom are still listed as a benefit on Royal Caribbean.

 

IF it's common knowledge, royal should announce this and remove those perks from there website so people don't expect it on the cruise they take 

 

Edited by MichaelinME
mispelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mets123 said:

It's been gone from the Anthem and Adventure for a while (most current cruises).

Thank you for the update. 

 

Then Royal should announce this and remove the benefits from there website and perk listings. That way no one is expecting it and being let down. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MichaelinME said:

Its because I was busy and finally had the time to write a review of what I saw. 

all of the perks missing on freedom are still listed as a benefit on Royal Caribbean.

 

IF it's common knowledge, royal should announce this and remove those perks from there website so people don't expect it on the cruise they take 

 

 

Michael. Please don't feel you have to explain yourself to anyone, especially here, to people who spend what honestly seems like 24 hours a day on this forum.

 

I'll never understand why they are so condescending? Or post messages that contain no information, like the one you're responding to, just demeaning words which seem to have the sole purpose of making others feel inferior.

 

It wasn't common knowledge to me, so THANK YOU for posting.

 

It doesn't matter whether I'm D+ or Gold. I still learn new things every time I visit this forum. If it wasn't for people like you fighting through the insulting words, bullying, and some very dark, even 'creepy' (sorry, but it's true) members ugly replies. I'd have been long gone.

 

Thanks for keeping the very weak, but still faintly shining memories of fun and laughter and the original spirit of this forum (admittedly now on life support) just about alive, for me at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite frankly some of this thread comes across as 'entitled'.  

 

Simple truth is there are too many D/D+/P.  It's common for nearly 1/3 of a Voyager class ship to D or D+ at times.  

 

Have you seen the bottles they go through each night in the DL?  That goes on 365 days a year times 23 ships -  the cost of free C&A DL beer/wine/booze has got be a significant number on the balance sheet.    Do you think the original concept of the DL happy hour was consumption like a college frat party?

 

You may not like the answer, but the perks and benefits of C&A are not cast in stone for ever and all of time.

 

"Not all services can be provided on all Royal Caribbean ships. We shall not be liable for refunds or for damages resulting from failure to deliver such services."

 

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has the right to terminate the Crown & Anchor Society® Program ("the Program") or to change the Terms and Conditions of participation and benefits, in whole or in part; at any time without notice."

 

Personally I think they should get rid of the DL.  Expand the happy hour menu to include better choices, keep it at three drink coupons, change the on-board DX discounts so that Diamond gets 30%, Diamond Plus 40%, Pinnacle 50%.  Encourage top elite to buy DX if they are drinkers.  If not three drinks per night for a cruise still exceeds what most Doctor's would offer as healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have remained loyal to Royal because of the D+ perks. If they cut back on them, then I suppose I will be trying out other cruise lines. Of the 26 cruises I have been on (and I know that is not very many compared to some of you), 23 of them have been on Royal and one of the other three cruises was on Celebrity which is owned by Royal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, twangster said:

Quite frankly some of this thread comes across as 'entitled'.  

 

Simple truth is there are too many D/D+/P.  It's common for nearly 1/3 of a Voyager class ship to D or D+ at times.  

 

Have you seen the bottles they go through each night in the DL?  That goes on 365 days a year times 23 ships -  the cost of free C&A DL beer/wine/booze has got be a significant number on the balance sheet.    Do you think the original concept of the DL happy hour was consumption like a college frat party?

 

You may not like the answer, but the perks and benefits of C&A are not cast in stone for ever and all of time.

 

"Not all services can be provided on all Royal Caribbean ships. We shall not be liable for refunds or for damages resulting from failure to deliver such services."

 

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has the right to terminate the Crown & Anchor Society® Program ("the Program") or to change the Terms and Conditions of participation and benefits, in whole or in part; at any time without notice."

 

Personally I think they should get rid of the DL.  Expand the happy hour menu to include better choices, keep it at three drink coupons, change the on-board DX discounts so that Diamond gets 30%, Diamond Plus 40%, Pinnacle 50%.  Encourage top elite to buy DX if they are drinkers.  If not three drinks per night for a cruise still exceeds what most Doctor's would offer as healthy.

 

While I understand what you are saying, it is still unfair to take away perks that are still currently listed. I have been expecting them to change the amount of points for each level for quite a while now. As a newer diamond, I feel i made it under the wire. There are too many diamonds for that small lounge. I would enjoy a discount on the beverage package. But many people love to sit in the lounge and make friends. Its old style as all the communal dining and such seem to be fading away,

Edited by tinkr2
misspell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, WeighAnchor said:

I have remained loyal to Royal because of the D+ perks. If they cut back on them, then I suppose I will be trying out other cruise lines. Of the 26 cruises I have been on (and I know that is not very many compared to some of you), 23 of them have been on Royal and one of the other three cruises was on Celebrity which is owned by Royal.

 

Well you should.  Sampling other lines is the only way to verify the grass is actually greener over there.  Royal has a solid product and a solid loyalty program.  Despite that, perhaps NCL or Princess is better aligned to your needs as the cruise industry has evolved.

 

Del Rio over at NCL has hinted at spicing up their loyalty program yet it hasn't happened.  I wonder why?  Perhaps they see the monster that Royal has created for themselves.

 

2 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

 

While I understand what you are saying, it is still unfair to take away perks that are still currently listed. I have been expecting them to change the amount of perks for each level for quite a while now. As a newer diamond, I feel i made it under the wire. There are too many diamonds for that small lounge. I would enjoy a discount on the beverage package. But many people love to sit in the lounge and make friends. Its old style as all the communal dining and such seem to be fading away,

 

The DL is only crowded during happy hour, the rest of the day it's mostly empty.  It's crowded for the free booze.

 

I've yet to see anywhere in the T&C's where unlimited free drinks during happy hour is included by policy.  People can get together anywhere, at any bar, and use their drink coupons.    Simple solution - enforce the 3 drink coupons in the DL like any other bar, or don't have a bar in the DL - go to the nearest bar and use a coupon.    Carry it back into the DL.  Or have waiters roaming but you must provide your card to use your drink coupon.  Suddenly the "how many diamonds can you cram into a phone booth"  problem would go away as people go to the pub, or the Schooner Bar, or R-Bar to get together.  

 

It's being abused and when ever something is abused, changes are made.  No one to blame but ourselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well sure , folks love free booze. But as a former bartender, the booze is what makes strangers chat with each other.It loosens inhibitions. All Royal needs to do is increase the point levels and it will solve most of the problems. Give it a 6 month notice so people have time to sail if they are close. 

They are definitely playing with taking perks away, probably from necessity. I am going on the Presidents cruise in November, I am concerned it will be a nightmare of entitled folks. I bought a drinks package right away bc I am not fighting for a free drink.

NCL has some nice loyalty perks, free meals and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, twangster said:

It's being abused and when ever something is abused, changes are made.  No one to blame but ourselves.

 

How do you think it is being abused? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're long time cruiser's (25+) with RCI and I am also disappointed at how our loyalty has been forgotten. We've been D+ for quite awhile and miss some of the little perks we used to have.

 

FYI OP....We did a B2B on Freedom in September and had no idea Giovanni's was open for extra seating during the breakfast hours for everyone until a few days into our cruise...Chops was for suite's only but I do wish that would include D+ too as it was absolutely empty most mornings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Missusdubbya said:

 

How do you think it is being abused? 

 

Excessive alcohol consumption well beyond 3 drinks.  The volume of booze consumed in the DL is going to lead to changes being made.  Even cheap booze costs money.  

 

The drink coupons were an attempt to deal with overcrowding but they are not accomplishing that goal.  While crowding issues are not abuse the shear volume of guests trying to use the limited DL space during happy hour is an issue that will require something to be done.  

 

For some reason the DL is mostly empty all day long yet as happy hour approaches it fills up and overflows into public use spaces impacting all guests.  

 

Increasing numbers in the top elite tiers are compounding the issue.  High Pinnacle numbers are (at times) impacting suite guests.  

 

Put it all together and change is inevitable.  

 

Converting DL into a Pinnacle Lounge solves a lot of issues.  Suite guests are better served, Pinnacles have a space so any objections are diluted and with D/D+ left with only drink coupons the bill for happy hours is cut dramatically.  

 

D/D+ tiers can expand in size with no issues and Pinnacle counts can continue to grow with no impact to the Suite experience.  

 

Public venues such as the Music Hall or Viking Crown Lounge are no longer lost as overflow during happy hour.  

 

At present suite counts are mostly fixed yet over the next 5-10 years growing Pinnacle numbers will force the issue in the SL.  If left unchecked the day is coming that suite guests won’t stand a chance in the SL.  At some point Pinnacles will need to be booted from the SL and the easiest way to do that is to give them their own dedicated space.  Where do you get space from?   Give up a revenue generating space or convert DL into PL.  

 

Change is coming.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benefits on Royal have been disappearing for years. When I first made Diamond 20+ yrs ago we had the Concierge Lounge, First on/off ship and would have a Formal get together with Captain and all Dept Heads. On the most popular sailings at most 6-10 Diamonds(Top Tier at the time). As C&A has become more popular some of Benefits are done away with, same has been done with all Travel(Air/Hotel) Sad, but fact of life... I'm fortunate as get more out of C&A Discounts then most. Been doing 60+ nites a year, am a Diamond Plus above 340 points and as always sailing Solo get my moneys worth with the lower Single Supplement and Balcony Disc. 20yrs ago there wasn't a Diamond Lounge, Free Drinks or Balcony Discounts. At least Cruising is cheaper dollar for dollar then was 20-30yrs ago, not even counting inflation in it

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

How is removing the reserved seating at events common knowledge, when it is still listed as a perk for D+?

This was an our last cruise.

IMG_20181025_140714.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MichaelinME said:

Its because I was busy and finally had the time to write a review of what I saw. 

all of the perks missing on freedom are still listed as a benefit on Royal Caribbean.

 

IF it's common knowledge, royal should announce this and remove those perks from there website so people don't expect it on the cruise they take 

 

I agree,and thanks for posting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, twangster said:

Quite frankly some of this thread comes across as 'entitled'.  

 

Simple truth is there are too many D/D+/P.  It's common for nearly 1/3 of a Voyager class ship to D or D+ at times.  

 

Have you seen the bottles they go through each night in the DL?  That goes on 365 days a year times 23 ships -  the cost of free C&A DL beer/wine/booze has got be a significant number on the balance sheet.    Do you think the original concept of the DL happy hour was consumption like a college frat party?

 

You may not like the answer, but the perks and benefits of C&A are not cast in stone for ever and all of time.

 

"Not all services can be provided on all Royal Caribbean ships. We shall not be liable for refunds or for damages resulting from failure to deliver such services."

 

"Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has the right to terminate the Crown & Anchor Society® Program ("the Program") or to change the Terms and Conditions of participation and benefits, in whole or in part; at any time without notice."

 

Personally I think they should get rid of the DL.  Expand the happy hour menu to include better choices, keep it at three drink coupons, change the on-board DX discounts so that Diamond gets 30%, Diamond Plus 40%, Pinnacle 50%.  Encourage top elite to buy DX if they are drinkers.  If not three drinks per night for a cruise still exceeds what most Doctor's would offer as healthy.

RC offer the best loyalty benefits in the cruise business and keeps them 1 step ahead of the competition.

If they dilute or terminate the C & A program people will look elsewhere.

We have 36 nights booked on other lines in the next 12 months and 1 of the factors was loss of CL to D+ members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

RC offer the best loyalty benefits in the cruise business and keeps them 1 step ahead of the competition.

If they dilute or terminate the C & A program people will look elsewhere.

We have 36 nights booked on other lines in the next 12 months and 1 of the factors was loss of CL to D+ members.

So you gonna be in a CL on which other cruise lines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

RC offer the best loyalty benefits in the cruise business and keeps them 1 step ahead of the competition.

If they dilute or terminate the C & A program people will look elsewhere.

We have 36 nights booked on other lines in the next 12 months and 1 of the factors was loss of CL to D+ members.

So you gonna be in a CL on which other cruise lines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mugtech said:

So you gonna be in a CL on which other cruise lines?

It was 1 out of a number of reasons we looked outside the box.

As a top tier Princess cruiser and near top tier P&O cruiser we looked again at their itineries because we have sailed almost exclusively RCI for several years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...