Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

4 hours ago, nelblu said:

RCL has historical cruise info by individual which provides ability to extract any statistics.  Remember, when they converted to C&A # of nights, there was an issue with my # of points, and resolved when the details was examined/compared. 

Yes, Royal has the historical cruise information of their C&A members to extract any statistics they want.....BUT DO THEY DO IT, is the question and what kinds of information are they trying to extract that could be useful to the solution to the varied use of the members in the program.  We don't cruise in suites, so a suite lounge is of little interest.  As we just attained D+, and it took 27 cruises to do it, because we haven't been able to take long cruises or go in suites,  we highly doubt we will ever be Pinnacles.  But we do want to enjoy events that other cruisers don't....if you want to say we want 'privileges' so be it.  To us that is a reward for our loyalty to Royal.

Everything changes over time, regardless of what it is....so if the C&A program changes we will live with it....but how it changes will be interesting for sure.

Edited by Paulette3028
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

RCL has historical cruise info by individual which provides ability to extract any statistics.  Remember, when they converted to C&A # of nights, there was an issue with my # of points, and resolved when the details was examined/compared. 

That historical information definitely has limits.   

One got lost and the only way I could prove to them i was on it was to pull an old itinerary printed via dot matrix printer with my name on it.   

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Yes, Royal has the historical cruise information of their C&A members to extract any statistics they want.....BUT DO THEY DO IT, is the question and what kinds of information are they trying to extract that could be useful to the solution to the varied use of the members in the program.  We don't cruise in suites, so a suite lounge is of little interest.  As we just attained D+, and it took 27 cruises to do it, because we haven't been able to take long cruises or go in suites,  we highly doubt we will ever be Pinnacles.  But we do want to enjoy events that other cruisers don't....if you want to say we want 'privileges' so be it.  To us that is a reward for our loyalty to Royal.

Everything changes over time, regardless of what it is....so if the C&A program changes we will live with it....but how it changes will be interesting for sure.

I agree with you when you stay loyal to get exclusive perks you deserve to receive them.

It's only when you are used to the perks and they are taken away that you fully appreciate what they were.

Currently RCI are changing CL which D+ had access to into SL where we don't is a prime example.

Keep in mind too, that as more and more people are buying the alcohol package, the cost of free drinks for Diamond and Diamond Plus and Pinnacle goes down. That alcohol has already been paid for through their package. That is one reason that I am sort of surprised that they don't ask for our sea pass cards in the lounges, so they could track how much of the lounge liquor is a C&A benefit and how much is a drink package benefit. Not all of the drinks served in the lounges are costing RCI freebie benefit money.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

I agree with you when you stay loyal to get exclusive perks you deserve to receive them.

It's only when you are used to the perks and they are taken away that you fully appreciate what they were.

Currently RCI are changing CL which D+ had access to into SL where we don't is a prime example.

If someone would ask me if when I was a Diamond what would bother me the most about not having access to the Diamond Lounge if it was only for D+ and above, yet I still had 3 drinks loaded on my seapass card for use during "Happy Hours", I would respond with having access to the specialty coffee machine all day long and the interaction with other 'loyal Royal cruisers'.  For me it isn't the food.....I have enough food to eat everywhere else.

12 minutes ago, cello56 said:

Keep in mind too, that as more and more people are buying the alcohol package, the cost of free drinks for Diamond and Diamond Plus and Pinnacle goes down. That alcohol has already been paid for through their package. That is one reason that I am sort of surprised that they don't ask for our sea pass cards in the lounges, so they could track how much of the lounge liquor is a C&A benefit and how much is a drink package benefit. Not all of the drinks served in the lounges are costing RCI freebie benefit money.

The cost of the drinks for D, D+ and Pinnacles is the cost regardless of whomever is buying their own drink package.  The more new cruisers or younger cruisers the more potential there might be for sales of the drink package, but that doesn't lessen the cost of drinks in the DL.  I am surprised that they don't scan our seapass cards, if for no other reason that to know the usage in the Lounge during Lounge hours.

21 minutes ago, cello56 said:

I'm guessing they inventory the liquor that goes to the lounges.

12 minutes ago, Bee Guy said:

I'm guessing they inventory the liquor that goes to the lounges.

Some bartenders in the lounge are much more liberal and give much larger fills than others.  So that is only part of the issue, the other is how many drinks are ordered during lounge time, would be important as well.

2 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Some bartenders in the lounge are much more liberal and give much larger fills than others.  So that is only part of the issue, the other is how many drinks are ordered during lounge time, would be important as well.

There is definitely a variance,  but also after a couple days they can predict your patterns.  If you are someone that has more than 1-2 drinks a night, to try and reduce the number of times they need to serve you, I noticed as the cruise goes on the pours get heavier.   

When end we first made diamond we hung out in the lounge a ton during Diamond Hour.  The last couple cruises we start there and then hop around the ship.

19 minutes ago, rimmit said:

There is definitely a variance,  but also after a couple days they can predict your patterns.  If you are someone that has more than 1-2 drinks a night, to try and reduce the number of times they need to serve you, I noticed as the cruise goes on the pours get heavier.   

When end we first made diamond we hung out in the lounge a ton during Diamond Hour.  The last couple cruises we start there and then hop around the ship.

20 years ago when I first made Diamond would hang out in Concierge Lounge, until we lost that Benefit. But back then at most was 6-10 Diamonds on a popular sailing, hundreds now...

We will be boarding Navigator this Friday. Thought I would share this email we received yesterday. As a D+ member I was aware that the CL was changed to SL during dry dock and D+ would be using the DL. This email sort of discourages use of the DL also! 

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

In about a week, you’ll be boarding the newly amplified Navigator of the Seasand we’re excited to welcome you onboard!

As you may know, this sailing is quite popular amongst our Crown & Anchor Society members, so we wanted to share with you some of the updated and new locations for our exclusive lounges.

The beautifully designed Diamond Lounge is on Deck 5, adjacent to the Star Lounge. This is where you’ll find the Diamond Concierge, who is available to assist you with reserving that dinner reservation you’ve been looking forward to, or answer questions about what to do in port. This lounge is centrally located; however, seating is limited. Therefore, we encourage you to enjoy and explore all of the incredible new bars and lounge venues while using the complimentary drink vouchers that will be loaded on your SeaPass card. Insider Tip: Catch the beautiful sunset from the Viking Crown Lounge.

And just in case the lounge is busier than usual in the morning, we are loading one specialty coffee voucher per day onto your SeaPass card. This can be used in the Main Dining Room, Café Promenade, Star Lounge, and the Plaza Bar in the Windjammer. Once onboard, please check your Welcome Letter or with your Concierge for additional information and how to best use your loyalty benefits.

We can’t wait to welcome you onboard! Thank you for your loyalty and we hope your time with us is nothing short of spectacular!

Sincerely,

Your Crown & Anchor Society Team

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

©2018 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Ships' registry: The Bahamas.
Royal Caribbean International
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132 USA

2 minutes ago, lr657 said:

We will be boarding Navigator this Friday. Thought I would share this email we received yesterday. As a D+ member I was aware that the CL was changed to SL during dry dock and D+ would be using the DL. This email sort of discourages use of the DL also! 

Royal Caribbean

Dear Guest,

In about a week, you’ll be boarding the newly amplified Navigator of the Seasand we’re excited to welcome you onboard!

As you may know, this sailing is quite popular amongst our Crown & Anchor Society members, so we wanted to share with you some of the updated and new locations for our exclusive lounges.

The beautifully designed Diamond Lounge is on Deck 5, adjacent to the Star Lounge. This is where you’ll find the Diamond Concierge, who is available to assist you with reserving that dinner reservation you’ve been looking forward to, or answer questions about what to do in port. This lounge is centrally located; however, seating is limited. Therefore, we encourage you to enjoy and explore all of the incredible new bars and lounge venues while using the complimentary drink vouchers that will be loaded on your SeaPass card. Insider Tip: Catch the beautiful sunset from the Viking Crown Lounge.

And just in case the lounge is busier than usual in the morning, we are loading one specialty coffee voucher per day onto your SeaPass card. This can be used in the Main Dining Room, Café Promenade, Star Lounge, and the Plaza Bar in the Windjammer. Once onboard, please check your Welcome Letter or with your Concierge for additional information and how to best use your loyalty benefits.

We can’t wait to welcome you onboard! Thank you for your loyalty and we hope your time with us is nothing short of spectacular!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132 USA

I must say that is nice that they give a specialty coffee voucher now.   While not a coffee drinker, I would personally find that significantly more convenient than going to the DL for a specialty coffee.

Wonder if that will continue or if it’s just during the initial launch when there is a very large number of D and above to see the renovation. 

20 minutes ago, lr657 said:

Royal Caribbean

Dear Guest,

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132 USA

I would love that specialty coffee voucher loaded on my sea pass card.  Maybe a foreshadowing of something to come on all sailings.

Just now, Paulette3028 said:

I would love that specialty coffee voucher loaded on my sea pass card.  Maybe a foreshadowing of something to come on all sailings.

Maybe having staff maintain that coffee machine in the DL is too much of a hassle.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

We got a free specialty coffee per day on one cruise a few years ago because the machine in the DL was broken.  It was actually broken for several cruises and they gave the free coffee for those trips.  I don't see it happening on a regular basis.

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe having staff maintain that coffee machine in the DL is too much of a hassle.

Indeed.

Hopefully this is not a precursor for withdrawing the coffee machine from the DL or by giving a free speciallity coffee married with the 3 free drinks they indeed are looking to ban Diamonds from the DL and make it into a loyalty lounge for P and D+ so suite guests get exclusive access to the new SLs.

50 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Indeed.

Hopefully this is not a precursor for withdrawing the coffee machine from the DL or by giving a free speciallity coffee married with the 3 free drinks they indeed are looking to ban Diamonds from the DL and make it into a loyalty lounge for P and D+ so suite guests get exclusive access to the new SLs.

We are D+ and received this email. I don't see it as a precursor to banning Diamonds from the DL. What I see is that they changed the Concierge Lounge into a Suite Lounge and did not make much of an effort to accommodate the D+ moving to the DL. They moved the DL into a small area, and are not arranging an overflow lounge. They realize the the DL will not be large enough for all the D+ and D members, so are suggesting that we use our drink vouchers and obtain our specialty coffees from other places.

I haven't gotten the impression that there is an unusually high amount of Upper Tiers on this cruise because it's newly renovated. When most of us booked, the dry dock wasn't even scheduled. We will see how things play out when we board this Friday. 

9 minutes ago, lr657 said:

We are D+ and received this email. I don't see it as a precursor to banning Diamonds from the DL. What I see is that they changed the Concierge Lounge into a Suite Lounge and did not make much of an effort to accommodate the D+ moving to the DL. They moved the DL into a small area, and are not arranging an overflow lounge. They realize the the DL will not be large enough for all the D+ and D members, so are suggesting that we use our drink vouchers and obtain our specialty coffees from other places.

I haven't gotten the impression that there is an unusually high amount of Upper Tiers on this cruise because it's newly renovated. When most of us booked, the dry dock wasn't even scheduled. We will see how things play out when we board this Friday. 

As a D+ I am interested in how this pans out in practice.

I hope you have a brilliant cruise and please post back how the renovations are and what the new DL is like.

1 hour ago, lr657 said:

Royal Caribbean

Dear Guest,

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean

Royal Caribbean

1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132 USA

Sounds like they are making the Diamond experience even better, adding a free coffee, that will come in handy when the line in the DL is 15 deep at the coffee machine or it is broken.  Hope this expands fleet wide!

jc

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

As a D+ I am interested in how this pans out in practice.

I hope you have a brilliant cruise and please post back how the renovations are and what the new DL is like.

Thank you, and will post an update. Someone on our cruise will be doing a live review:

We enjoy meeting our friends for Happy Hour in one of the lounges, but if the DL is overly crowded we'll meet elsewhere. It definitely won't ruin our cruise. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Sounds like they are making the Diamond experience even better, adding a free coffee, that will come in handy when the line in the DL is 15 deep at the coffee machine or it is broken.  Hope this expands fleet wide!

jc

I never drink specialty coffee in the morning, so never experienced a long line. I usually drink regular coffee with breakfast and get a specialty coffee from the CL or DL in the afternoon. I guess this is an improvement for the morning specialty coffee drinkers.

• Clarea locked this topic