Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Pier290

When is Capt. Kate leaving Equinox for Edge?

Recommended Posts

I believe that X is putting her on the Edge to try to take away passengers conception of the ship. By being all around the ship, maybe the passengers will concentrate more on her than the Edge's shortcomings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cruiseflyer38 said:

As I understand it Capt. Kate was brought into Celebrity and was able to bypass perhaps 30 long service Staff Captains who needed fifteen years to get to the top. I do not say Capt. Kate does not have the ability I just state that she is a Celebrity Captain only because she is a woman.  Did she ever serve as a Safety Officer or Staff Captain on Celebrity. Not to my knowledge.  After two weeks on the Edge she can have it, I do not think we will ever be back on that ship.   I expect to see Edge prices fall dramatically and Reflection and sister ship rise in unison.EdgeReview190217.odt


It takes about two minutes to do some research.  Captain Kate served as a Chief Officer and Staff Captain on Royal Caribbean.

https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/cruise-jobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to start a war but it takes one minute to read my article and if you do you will see I state " as Safety Officer or Staff Captain on Celebrity"  Next time read more carefully hiccups. She still came from outside the company and cut off many competent Staff Captains.

Edited by cruiseflyer38
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry but since Royal owns 100% of  Celebrity, then it my eyes it is the same company and as she moved across from Royal to Celebrity then there are many more opportunities for officers on Celebrity to move within “the family” to Royal due to the greater fleet size.

Edited by Toftwood
Edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I believe that X is putting her on the Edge to try to take away passengers conception of the ship. By being all around the ship, maybe the passengers will concentrate more on her than the Edge's shortcomings.

 

I’m currently on Edge and haven’t spotted any shortcomings yet, only things that are different from other Celebrity ships - which is undoubtedly upsetting to the “everything was better in 1950” crowd.  The whining on this forum about Edge is grossly exaggerated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cruiseflyer38 said:

Not to start a war but it takes one minute to read my article and if you do you will see I state " as Safety Officer or Staff Captain on Celebrity"  Next time read more carefully hiccups. She still came from outside the company and cut off many competent Staff Captains.


Split hairs if you wish, but Royal and Celebrity are owned by the same company.  You state she only got where she is by being female, and I wanted to point out, contrary to what you imply in your post, she does have a solid background in the industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I believe that X is putting her on the Edge to try to take away passengers conception of the ship. By being all around the ship, maybe the passengers will concentrate more on her than the Edge's shortcomings.

Well 45 cruise ships over 23 years and none ever smelt as bad as this ship. A serious engineering problem. We took part in the Valentine Day vow renewals (more then 100 couples)

and the smell made the crowd disappear very quickly when it was over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, florisdekort said:

 

I’m currently on Edge and haven’t spotted any shortcomings yet, only things that are different from other Celebrity ships - which is undoubtedly upsetting to the “everything was better in 1950” crowd.  The whining on this forum about Edge is grossly exaggerated.

 

Overall reviews on this site would suggest otherwise. The ship is scoring way lower than any other ship in the Celebrity fleet even now when any teething problems should be rectified. The design of the ship, those IV balconies, spaces, flow of passengers, lifts, dining rooms, lack of true shade around the pool area, all continue to be highlighted. An awful lot of individuals living in the 1950s continue to “whine”

Edited by yorky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, hiccups said:


Split hairs if you wish, but Royal and Celebrity are owned by the same company.  You state she only got where she is by being female, and I wanted to point out, contrary to what you imply in your post, she does have a solid background in the industry.

They operate as separate companies having their own President etc.  I understand  Capt. Kate is the first non Greek captain on what was once a Greek company that had developed a wonderful Greek family environment that is now disappearing quickly. That was the factor that made Celebrity Cruises the best premium class line for decades.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And in this day and age, is it not illegal to discrimate on the grounds of race, nationality or gender?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cruiseflyer38 said:

Even Captain Kate will not save this ship. The Concorde of the Ocean.

 

Concorde was one classy lady and made before her time. It is still an awesome aircraft and quite literally takes your breathe away when you see her. Can only imagine the adrenalin rush if anyone flew on her

 

Not sure that Edge has that …. errrr 'cutting edge' design that Concorde had or seems to be inspiring as many people at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And to be fair, Captain Kate had been chosen to take over Edge this fall long before all the online grumbling began. She had her contract in hand by last November. So her being picked as a "savior" is a bit much. That said, her reputation for being able to motivate and elevate her crew will be a big plus to Edge. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, yorky said:

Overall reviews on this site would suggest otherwise. The ship is scoring way lower than any other ship in the Celebrity fleet even now when any teething problems should be rectified. The design of the ship, those IV balconies, spaces, flow of passengers, lifts, dining rooms, lack of true shade around the pool area, all continue to be highlighted. An awful lot of individuals living in the 1950s continue to “whine”

 

Well the folks from the “1950’s” are 80% of celebrity’s cruiser base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 4:32 PM, Toftwood said:

Sorry but since Royal owns 100% of  Celebrity, then it my eyes it is the same company and as she moved across from Royal to Celebrity then there are many more opportunities for officers on Celebrity to move within “the family” to Royal due to the greater fleet size.

There are very few officers that ever moved from  one "family" to the other except for certain hotel types who moved into the executive office.  Royal and Celebrity have their own corporate culture (oops, should have said HAD).  Bridge officers moved up step by step in their own "family".  Perhaps you could name an officer who was moved from Celebrity to the Bridge of a Royal ship.  No matter how good Captain Kate is, the only reason she jumped the queue and switched "families" is because of Lisa's role.  If she was that much better than all the officers waiting for their promotion within Celebrity, why was she not made a captain on Royal "where there are many more opportunities"? 

We have had the opportunity to sail with Captain Kate but the Kafetzis brothers are funnier.  What so many people love about captain Kate , as so many have repeatedly said on Cruise Critic gatherings, "we can finally understand the announcements."

I personally think that bringing in an outsider into the "family" hurts the morale of all those who thought that working hard up the corporate ladder is meaningless when the person running the company has her own agenda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang! We booked the April 20-27 cruise just to sail with Captain Kate. Sucks we’re going to miss her. And then we’ll be on the Edge in June, and we’ll miss her before she goes to the Edge, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I will address the elephant in the room...  Methinks there is a fair amount of misogyny in this thread.

 

It's the 21st century folks and women deserve their right to a place at the table.  They've had to work twice as hard as any man to get that place and they are just as competent (and deserving).  The role of captain requires competence, leadership, and customer service, and Captain Kate has those qualifications.  

 

I"m an old white guy who believes that women have more than earned their place in the former "good old boy" networks.  The role of captain is earned and Captain Kate has earned her stripes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CapeCodFlyer said:

Okay, I will address the elephant in the room...  Methinks there is a fair amount of misogyny in this thread.

 

It's the 21st century folks and women deserve their right to a place at the table.  They've had to work twice as hard as any man to get that place and they are just as competent (and deserving).  The role of captain requires competence, leadership, and customer service, and Captain Kate has those qualifications.  

 

I"m an old white guy who believes that women have more than earned their place in the former "good old boy" networks.  The role of captain is earned and Captain Kate has earned her stripes!

Thanks for this!  I was trying to find a nice way of asking if the poster really just wanted her to stay home and have babies 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, X2tgibso said:

Grazie per questo! Stavo cercando di trovare un modo carino per chiedere se il poster voleva davvero che restasse a casa e avesse dei bambini 🙄

:classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Quo Vadis? said:

There are very few officers that ever moved from  one "family" to the other except for certain hotel types who moved into the executive office.  Royal and Celebrity have their own corporate culture (oops, should have said HAD).  Bridge officers moved up step by step in their own "family".  Perhaps you could name an officer who was moved from Celebrity to the Bridge of a Royal ship.  No matter how good Captain Kate is, the only reason she jumped the queue and switched "families" is because of Lisa's role.  If she was that much better than all the officers waiting for their promotion within Celebrity, why was she not made a captain on Royal "where there are many more opportunities"? 

We have had the opportunity to sail with Captain Kate but the Kafetzis brothers are funnier.  What so many people love about captain Kate , as so many have repeatedly said on Cruise Critic gatherings, "we can finally understand the announcements."

I personally think that bringing in an outsider into the "family" hurts the morale of all those who thought that working hard up the corporate ladder is meaningless when the person running the company has her own agenda.

 

Surely that’s why LLP was moved across from Royal to Celebrity, because she indeed had her own agenda and wasn’t simply going to follow in the corporate footsteps of her predecessor.  CEOs and similar are promoted into companies  to bring about change, not because they have been waiting in the wings for the next senior role to open up.

 

Fortunately, the days of standing on the corporate ladder waiting for the person at the top to move aside allowing everyone else to move up a rung are long gone.

Edited by Toftwood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, cruiseflyer38 said:

As I understand it Capt. Kate was brought into Celebrity and was able to bypass perhaps 30 long service Staff Captains who needed fifteen years to get to the top. I do not say Capt. Kate does not have the ability I just state that she is a Celebrity Captain only because she is a woman.  Did she ever serve as a Safety Officer or Staff Captain on Celebrity. Not to my knowledge.  After two weeks on the Edge she can have it, I do not think we will ever be back on that ship.   I expect to see Edge prices fall dramatically and Reflection and sister ship rise in unison.EdgeReview190217.odt

well, here's a brief synopsis of her experience before/including joining Celebrity, just like any other Captain, she served in all the subordinate positions before receiving her Masters status. 

4CPMY~UuQJ.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 8:44 AM, deliver42 said:

I believe that X is putting her on the Edge to try to take away passengers conception of the ship. By being all around the ship, maybe the passengers will concentrate more on her than the Edge's shortcomings.

You are so incorrect and way off base in this statement (jest or not) IMO.

 

Your shortcomings are showing with such input of this type.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

well, here's a brief synopsis of her experience before/including joining Celebrity, just like any other Captain, she served in all the subordinate positions before receiving her Masters status. 

j - Thank you for posting this, but I would not have further dignified the detractors as it is obvious that there is no knowledge of what it takes to achieve such a status OR such a person, different from them, can undergo the rigor and be one of the best at their chosen profession.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, X2tgibso said:

Thanks for this!  I was trying to find a nice way of asking if the poster really just wanted her to stay home and have babies 🙄

LOL, il poster originale deve stare a casa e prendersi cura di se stessi ... Non c'è bisogno di essere "carino" con tali commenti.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...