Cruise Critic Community
SophieJ17

Rough seas on pacific cruise San Fran to Vancouver?

Hello - we are considering our 2nd crystal cruise but this time on the pacific coast.  Does anyone have experience with a mid June sailing, what are the waters like at that time of year - would we expect rough seas? 

We sailed from San Fran to Alaska and back to Vancouver with a stop in Astoria, OR late last May and had relatively calm seas all the way.

SophieJ17, we have sailed this a few times in the June and July time frame.

My experience is that history really means nothing and with changing weather patterns you just never know.  

I have experienced seas on this itinerary that were very calm, some that had some roughness and one time where the sea swells were strong for an extended period of time.  Even sailing in and out of San Francisco harbor varies.

So if this is a concern my recommendation is two fold; book a room mid ship and on a lower deck and come prepared with something that prevents sea sickness.

I am also reminded that what one person considers rough that another person does not. On our current voyage there have been portions of it when  some thought it was very rough and some did not.

Keith

I have done this route May and September several times. I have never had a problem but this route is prone to roughness.

Whever we've sailed out of SF to Alaska, the seas have been 'rough' about 1-1.5 hours out of SF. We were on the Harmony in Palm Court and my mother became very seasick.  

My husband tends to get motion sickness but no longer has any problems. We tend to book staterooms mid-ship and he follows the advice of the captain. When he says the seas will be rough, he will take a SeaCalm pill. He's never been sick!

Just a note that sea’s can be very rough and unpredictable no matter what the size of the ship.  Weather forecasts change all the time.  We have been through 100MPH + winds on the Symphony going to Antarctica and the Tasman Sea.  Nobody was walking around too much but we braved walking to the CDR for dinner and it was pretty much empty.

i know Ricki was on that one cruise.  I also have owned two boats and know what it feels like to be rocking and rolling and cavetating.  Certain areas of the world are subject to heavy seas depending on the time you are sailing through them.

I have done the West Coast cruise from LA to Vancouver or reversed at least 10 times now without any discomfort or rough seas. I would not hesitate at all to book.  From Vancouver to Anchorage, I had a ship break down in gale force winds and the engines were without power so there were no stabilizers.  We were about 4 hours like that until the Coast Guard arrived and towed us to port. It was after our last port and in September.

The following may be of interest if you are really worried ... but don’t be.

5D85F075-FE8A-4105-9288-8EF56C72FED3.png