Cruise Critic Community
mystik

castles in europe

I've done alot of cruising but i have a couple who have not they want to the more castles possible. I was thinking the baltics or northern europe. Does anyone have any ideas.

River cruise

lots of castles along the  route

Or  do a land trip to the British Isles  the UK  has lots of Castles

6 minutes ago, mystik said:

I've done alot of cruising but i have a couple who have not they want to the more castles possible. I was thinking the baltics or northern europe. Does anyone have any ideas.

Forgot to say they don't want to do river cruise just cruise

48 minutes ago, mystik said:

If your desire is to cruise the Baltics or northern Europe, you will generally see palaces rather than castles. There are gorgeous palaces to visit on a Baltic cruise ... particularly in St. Petersburg.

How about a cruise around the British Isles?    We had our fill of castles on our last one - almost every port had a tour to one somewhere nearby, Edinburgh being the obvious day long visit.        

Baltic’s for sure then.

My first thought was a river cruise, but you wrote that option off.

Several castles in Denmark close to Copenhagen -  Rosenborg Castle, Fredensborg Castle (Queens Summer Castle), Frederiksborg Castle and the gardens as well as Kronborg Castle (Hamlet Castle) - in Copenhagen also Amalienborg (Royal palace) and Christiansborg castle (the parliament) - might even have forgotten some.

There are castles fairly convenient to almost all ports in the U.K.

Plenty of castles in other parts of Europe, but I'm not familiar with too many near seaports. 

For instance a high proportion of those in Germany are inland or along the Rhine Valley.

The Loire Valley has more chateaux than you can shake a stick at, tho they're more stately homes than "castles". But you'll find a few castles on most European itineraries.

can I suggest you short-list a few cruises based on other factors, then check out convenient castles - including listing those ports on this thread.

JB :classic_smile:

A Baltic cruise that includes Gdansk would allow them to visit Malbork, the largest castle in the world.  We were there in May and it is about an hour train ride from Gdansk.

Ireland. The British Isles. I think these have both been mentioned above, but those are your best bets. Baltic sea cruise, you would see a few castles, but mostly palaces (which are amazingly beautiful!). 

I think something you might consider is to see different styles of castles and palaces. Sometimes, they are the same type, over and over, even though they are all unique in their own way.

Yes, it's easy to get "castled out". 🏰

Roz

1 hour ago, Roz said:

Yes, it's easy to get "castled out". 🏰

Roz

Yes, the 'ABC' (Another Blinking Castle) trips can get a bit samey sometimes. I can manage one a day, OH less so.

25 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

Yes, the 'ABC' (Another Blinking Castle) trips can get a bit samey sometimes. I can manage one a day, OH less so.

I can also OD on Gothic cathedrals. 😉

Roz

A cruise around UK and Eire is probably going to give the most sightings and opportunities to visit castles. Almost every UK port has 1 or more castles readily accessible to the port.

Just do a land trip to Wales, we have more castles per head of population than any other country in the world.