Cruise Critic Community
ziggyuk

Included phone calls

Part of my upcoming trip I have 120 Min Ship to Shore Phone Calls included, I have not had this before and am not sure it's a lot of use to me as I don't normally make call while away.

As I don't really need the calls, do you think they will let me exchange it for internet minutes (I already have 370 min internet included).

If I can't exchange the perk for anything else, can I make calls anywhere, including international calls?

Many thanks.

@ziggyuk

... do you think they will let me exchange it for internet minutes ...  I very much doubt it.   Unless you are on a very long cruise or an inveterate WiFi user you won't use 370 minutes anyway.

If I can't exchange the perk for anything else, can I make calls anywhere, including international calls?   That is logical use for it, we called NZ, England and Canada when we had it on a Japanese cruise.

Mike

9 minutes ago, casofilia said:

@ziggyuk

... do you think they will let me exchange it for internet minutes ...  I very much doubt it.   Unless you are on a very long cruise or an inveterate WiFi user you won't use 370 minutes anyway.

If I can't exchange the perk for anything else, can I make calls anywhere, including international calls?   That is logical use for it, we called NZ, England and Canada when we had it on a Japanese cruise.

Mike

Thanks,

It's a 10 day cruise so I was basing that on 370/10 = 37 min a day between 2 of us, we won't use much internet, check emails etc but as the phone allowance was not very useful to us, I would be happier wasting time on the internet rather than having calls I will probably not make.

35 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

If I can't exchange the perk for anything else, can I make calls anywhere, including international calls?

Perhaps I'm missing something but what other kind of call can one make from a cruise ship sailing internationally? 

39 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

Perhaps I'm missing something but what other kind of call can one make from a cruise ship sailing internationally? 

Never used it before but it does say "120 Min Ship to Shore Phone Calls" not "120 Min international Phone Calls", I don't think it unreasonable to ask the meaning of "ship to shore", I already qualified it by saying I have never used it before.

There could potentially be all kinds of exclusions to they type, rate and locations that calls can be made.

1 hour ago, casofilia said:

@ziggyuk

Ask the Internet Manager when on board.  He is in charge of both sections.

Mike

Thank you casofilia I will try that fingers crossed 🙂

Calls made from the ship are satellite calls. Whether made to the terminal from the ship docked next to it, made at sea or made in a distant port they all go through the same satellite system. I have never heard anyone draw a distinction about "international calling" from a ship before. It didn't seem unreasonable to me to wonder if I was missing something.

10 minutes ago, Paul Bogle said:

Calls made from the ship are satellite calls. Whether made to the terminal from the ship docked next to it, made at sea or made in a distant port they all go through the same satellite system. I have never heard anyone draw a distinction about "international calling" from a ship before. It didn't seem unreasonable to me to wonder if I was missing something.

Thank you, I'm sure you feel better!

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Never used it before but it does say "120 Min Ship to Shore Phone Calls" not "120 Min international Phone Calls", I don't think it unreasonable to ask the meaning of "ship to shore", I already qualified it by saying I have never used it before.

There could potentially be all kinds of exclusions to they type, rate and locations that calls can be made.

When in doubt always read the T&Cs concerning the promo. I didn't see the "ship to shore phone call" but here are NCL's promos that would include details / exclusions etc. 

https://www.ncl.com/termsandconditions/promotions

Ask your TA / PCC for the specific T&Cs for your promos

On 2/17/2019 at 6:49 PM, ziggyuk said:

Thank you casofilia I will try that fingers crossed 🙂

I've got this on my booking too and also wouldn't use it so the internet option instead is a good one if available.  My cruise on the Getaway isn't until January 2020, if yours is earlier can you please post back here to let me know if you could exchange the phone call credit for internet use?

11 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I've got this on my booking too and also wouldn't use it so the internet option instead is a good one if available.  My cruise on the Getaway isn't until January 2020, if yours is earlier can you please post back here to let me know if you could exchange the phone call credit for internet use?

I'm off in 10 days, I will let you know how I got on when I'm back. 

Does anyone know what they charge per minute for ship to shore phone calls? I'll be on the Sky.

Edited by victory2020

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, Mim Lloyd said:

FYI

I tried to exchange the telephone minutes to something more useful like internet time but was told this was not possible.

I had both the internet plans and the phone minutes that were given to me promotionally.  I found the phone useful for extended calls, particularly on days at sea.  We were delayed coming into port, and I lost internet service (at some point you just forget to log out and there goes all of your remaining minutes).  You are given "calling card" type numbers that you enter into the phone, they let you know how much time you have left.  I doubt that they will give you the internet minutes in exchange.  In terms of the internet, I found the first few days were impossible to access the internet as everyone else was also trying to get on line.  So kind of a useless benefit in the beginning of the cruise, or during prime hours.  Better to try to log into the internet early in the morning when everyone else is still sleeping!

This discussion has been very helpful to me as we also have the free 120 min of phone service as part of the distinctive voyages promotion (now long gone). It also included internet minutes, an additional 50.00 excursion credit and more. For me it came with my Panama Canal Cruise - I guess that would be considered a Distinctive Voyage.

On our last Canada and New England cruise we were able to continue our same cell service plan for a flat daily rate so we used that instead of getting anything from NCL. This cruise will cross through several countries and the logistics of using our cell service will be impossible so the 120 minutes of telephone will allow us to keep in touch with home during our 21day cruise.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

FYI

I tried to exchange the telephone minutes to something more useful like internet time but was told this was not possible.

Ziggy  --  Thanks for the follow up note!

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

FYI

Thanks for remembering to get back to us on this. It's a pity that we can't exchange the phone credit but at least we know.

I have internet minutes - I would love to exchange for phone minutes on the Sky - I'm thinking not a possibility?

I would like to call someone on another ship with these minutes...  🙂

I just got off of the Star last month. I had the call minutes, you have to use your cabin phone while doing this. If you are going to call someone, let them know that the call may show up as a Hollywood, Fl. call. I tried to call my daughter, she saw Fl. and didn't take the call. I was able to leave a message so the next time I called she knew it was probably me. I really enjoyed this perk along with the internet minutes. Having sailed a lot, I don't normally use these perks, but I am glad I did on my last cruise.