Confiscated Power Strip

MsSoCalCruiser

I posted this on Facebook but I thought that I would also post it here for those that do not frequent Facebook....

FYI... My non-surge-protector power strip was confiscated at the Port of LA in January.  I was told that it was a new rule that started on January 1st.  Just thought I’d share that with you.

10 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I posted this on Facebook but I thought that I would also post it here for those that do not frequent Facebook....

FYI... My non-surge-protector power strip was confiscated at the Port of LA in January.  I was told that it was a new rule that started on January 1st.  Just thought I’d share that with you.

Not new as far as I know. The contracted terminal security staff could care less and take anything they think or looks like is a surge protected device.

Always best to put it in your luggage. I forgot and put it in my carry on.

They usually tag it and give it to security onboard who returns them the last day.

Did they not give you a receipt for it?

They took mine last April on the Star in San Pedro and gave me a receipt,  security came to my cabin and gave it back to me the last day of the cruise.

Mine was just a plug strip as well.

I have been taking the same one for 20 plus years. 🙄

San Pedro is the only place I have had an issue with it.

23 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Not new as far as I know. The contracted terminal security staff could care less and take anything they think or looks like is a surge protected device.

They usually tag it and give it to security onboard who returns them the last day.

They took mine last April on the Star in San Pedro and gave me a receipt,  security came to my cabin and gave it back to me the last day of the cruise.

They told me I could claim it the last day but I knew that I wouldn’t remember. We were in a hurry to get to the MDR for lunch so I just left it without making a fuss. They never told me that someone would bring it to me. 

5 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

They told me I could claim it the last day but I knew that I wouldn’t remember. We were in a hurry to get to the MDR for lunch so I just left it without making a fuss. They never told me that someone would bring it to me. 

I knew I shouldn't have put it in my carry on. 

It is always been in my luggage.

Never had an issue before then.

Been on 3 more cruises since then and no issues.   :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1

Under the FAQs, the Prohibited Items sections still has this exception so I think that the security folks who confiscated your power strip were out of line:

• "*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I knew I shouldn't have put it in my carry on. 

It is always been in my luggage.

Never had an issue before then.

Been on 3 more cruises since then and no issues.   :classic_rolleyes:

And I always thought that I should put it in my carry-on so they wouldn’t question what was in my checked bag, lol.  I don’t have to worry about that anymore because it’s gone...

We were actually OK without it because we had that extra outlet on the shelf by where the TV used to be. 

Just now, azbirdmom said:

Under the FAQs, the Prohibited Items sections still has this exception so I think that the security folks who confiscated your power strip were out of line:

• "*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Exactly! 

22 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Exactly! 

It’s apparent that the shoreside independent security screeners misinterpreted the rules which allows your non-surge protected power strip.  As recommended in the future put it in your checked bag & if needing to show it to onboard security they should know that it’s allowed.

• Like 1

Just now, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Can’t swear that this is the same one because I bought it a few years ago but it looked something like this...

5E38B721-015C-44AA-BF82-5076363D7370.jpeg

In the eyes of someone who didn’t know/care,  I can imagine this might have looked like one with a surge protector.

I’ll likely continue to carry the cube tap that I always have but I think in the future I’ll print/screen capture the description of what is allowed.

Thank you for the reminder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

It’s apparent that the shoreside independent security screeners misinterpreted the rules which allows your non-surge protected power strip.  As recommended in the future put it in your checked bag & if needing to show it to onboard security they should know that it’s allowed.

Definitely will pack in my checked baggage in the future.

1 hour ago, Ep010835 said:

In the eyes of someone who didn’t know/care,  I can imagine this might have looked like one with a surge protector.

I’ll likely continue to carry the cube tap that I always have but I think in the future I’ll print/screen capture the description of what is allowed.

Thank you for the reminder. 

You’re welcome. 

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

They tried to take dh’s power strip for his  cpap last March in San Pedro.  After he explained that it was for his cpap they let him keep it.  He’s used one for 10 years without an issue before this. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

And I always thought that I should put it in my carry-on so they wouldn’t question what was in my checked bag, lol.  I don’t have to worry about that anymore because it’s gone...

We were actually OK without it because we had that extra outlet on the shelf by where the TV used to be. 

What does it mean, where the TV used to be?  Did they remove your TV?

1 hour ago, Cruiserkenn said:

What does it mean, where the TV used to be?  Did they remove your TV?

On most ships the new flat screen TV has been mounted to the wall opposite the bed instead of the shelf with the older TV.  However on the CB the newer flat screen TV is placed on the shelf but obviously too large for the shelf.  I prefer it mounted to the wall. 

3 hours ago, satxdiver said:

On most ships the new flat screen TV has been mounted to the wall opposite the bed instead of the shelf with the older TV.  However on the CB the newer flat screen TV is placed on the shelf but obviously too large for the shelf.  I prefer it mounted to the wall. 

Wow, thanks.  I was worried that now they were removing the TVs.  Whew!

• Haha 1

Question: At San Pedro, who X-rays the "checked" luggage, Princess security or the port Rent-a-Cops? If port security mans both Xray stations (checked and carry-on), and are incorrectly confiscating non-surge protected power strips, would they not do the same if you have yours in your checked luggage? We'll be through San Pedro in a few weeks and plan to bring a simple power strip with us. We always leave it our luggage, but won't even bother bringing it with us if there's any chance they will steal it.

Regarding the comment that Princess Security returned the supposedly LEGAL power strip "...on the last day" was that also not a violation of the Princess rules? Should they not have returned it to you immediately as it was an allowed item, and not held it until the end of the trip?

15 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

I can't believe that this should be an issue. The newer ships have plenty of USB ports and enough outlets for a few items. It is all about fire safety and to err on the side of caution should be the watch words.

I believe you're confusing Princess with another cruise line.

I have yet to find even one on Princess.

Possible the Majestic might have them? 

51 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Question: At San Pedro, who X-rays the "checked" luggage, Princess security or the port Rent-a-Cops? If port security mans both Xray stations (checked and carry-on), and are incorrectly confiscating non-surge protected power strips, would they not do the same if you have yours in your checked luggage? We'll be through San Pedro in a few weeks and plan to bring a simple power strip with us. We always leave it our luggage, but won't even bother bringing it with us if there's any chance they will steal it.

Regarding the comment that Princess Security returned the supposedly LEGAL power strip "...on the last day" was that also not a violation of the Princess rules? Should they not have returned it to you immediately as it was an allowed item, and not held it until the end of the trip?

Yes technically they should have returned it to me after boarding or earlier in the cruise but they didn’t. 

As I said I have taken it on many many Princess Cruises which included San Pedro many times too. It has always been in luggage and have never been called to security onboard to claim it.  

I will make sure it is in my luggage from now on.