Cruise Critic Community
bravojulietcharlie

Fountain drinks - Nieuw Statendam

Hi everyone,

I apologise as this has doubtless been answered before - however I’ve trawled the various beverage threads to no avail! 

Sailing onboard Nieuw Statendam next month - I’m looking into purchasing the $25 for $50 soda card. I’m just a little unsure as to exactly which beverages are available via this - is it literally only fizzy soft drinks such as coke or sprite which would be included with this, or are there other soft drinks such as juices or ice tea? 

Thank you for your help! 

It's soda only when you purchase the soda card.

We were new to HAL and cruised on NS over the holidays with a $50 soda card (paid $25).  We were told it would be fountain only but on our cruises (we did B2B) they used cans.  But....some places would load the glass with ice and basically give you only half a can of soda (we started asking for it without ice) and not let you take the rest.  Then other places some worked hard to give you most of the can.  And one place actually handed over the can.  I never saw such foolishness.  I know we were paying half price, but that is still $1.25 for a can of soda (which they rarely gave us a whole can).

At the Dutch Cafe they did not know how to deal with the card.  They asked me for our room key, insisting that was how it worked (even though this was day 14 of our cruise and we knew how it worked).  I told them it was going to charge us on our account and not the card.  So they repeated the transaction.  Yup, 2 charges ($5.00 plus tax for 2 lousy cans of soda).  So I had to go straighten it out even though they promised they would fix it (I could see the charges on my phone while still there).

Bottom line, I think it is a pretty good deal but they way they won't give you the can and don't properly train people how to use it, it is almost not worth it.

45 minutes ago, Muushka said:

We were new to HAL and cruised on NS over the holidays with a $50 soda card (paid $25).  We were told it would be fountain only but on our cruises (we did B2B) they used cans.  But....some places would load the glass with ice and basically give you only half a can of soda (we started asking for it without ice) and not let you take the rest.  Then other places some worked hard to give you most of the can.  And one place actually handed over the can.  I never saw such foolishness.  I know we were paying half price, but that is still $1.25 for a can of soda (which they rarely gave us a whole can).

At the Dutch Cafe they did not know how to deal with the card.  They asked me for our room key, insisting that was how it worked (even though this was day 14 of our cruise and we knew how it worked).  I told them it was going to charge us on our account and not the card.  So they repeated the transaction.  Yup, 2 charges ($5.00 plus tax for 2 lousy cans of soda).  So I had to go straighten it out even though they promised they would fix it (I could see the charges on my phone while still there).

Bottom line, I think it is a pretty good deal but they way they won't give you the can and don't properly train people how to use it, it is almost not worth it.

The $25 for $50 soda card is for fountain soda by the glass. Many of the venues do not have fountain soda, so they pour it from a can, but they are under no obligation to give you the can because it is by the glass. 

That being said, after the first night, we’ve always gotten a full can in the MDR (waiting for us when we get to our table). Also, sometimes we’ve found the fountain soda is a bit watered-down. My partner drinks Coke Zero, which is rarely in a fountain gun on a ship, so it is always poured from a can. 

On the K'dam right now. Venues that end in "Café" won't take ANY beverage card - same goes for Gelato. All are readily accepted at venues that end in "Bar" plus Lido, MDR, Canaletto and Pinnacle. So far in the dining venues, with the soda card I have always been given a glass with ice and a can of Sprite Zero. At one of the bars,  when it was poured into the tall glass, one can did not fill it to their liking, so they opened a second can to top it off. I was not given the rest of the second can - which I thought only fair.