Changing the second passenger in a stateroom

Ameyers1988

My husband booked a stateroom with his cousin for a cruise and now the cousin cannot go so I am going to go in his place....that being said when he called carnival they told him that in order to change the second guest in the room it would take away that deposit and put it towards a future cruise and also we would have to pay another $50 on top of that. Somehow that doesn't make much sense to me; my husband booked the room and is still going on the cruise. The only thing changing is the second guest. Our cruise is not till September so we have not made final payment yet either. Is the information we were given correct? It just sounds off to me. 

• Like 1

• I had this happen recently when my son couldn't go and my mom was going to replace him.  I simply went to the Carnival website and changed it.  I went to My Cruise Manager....Complete Guest Names (edit).  From there I just changed the name.  Hopefully it's just as easy for you.
  • Like 1

Sounds like he booked Early Saver fare.  But as the poster above said, try going into the reservation and just change the name.  If he did book Early Saver, you won't be able to change it in one step.  Go in and change either the first or last name.  Save it.  then go back in and change the rest of the name.  Save it.  I have to do it for my sister, that they always list as TBD 'Smith'.  We haven't shared a last name in over 50 years.  So I go in and add a first name, save, then go back and change the last name.  EM

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Sounds like he booked Early Saver fare.  But as the poster above said, try going into the reservation and just change the name.  If he did book Early Saver, you won't be able to change it in one step.  Go in and change either the first or last name.  Save it.  then go back in and change the rest of the name.  Save it.  I have to do it for my sister, that they always list as TBD 'Smith'.  We haven't shared a last name in over 50 years.  So I go in and add a first name, save, then go back and change the last name.  EM

Do you also have to change the birthdate and all that other info? 

• Like 1

This is exactly how it works with Early Saver fares. The fine print of that fare (which it sounds like your husband didn’t read) states that name changes are not allowed under Early Saver. So, why your husband is doing is cancelling someone and rebooking another. Since Early Saver rates are also non-refundable, the person who is cancelling gets a future cruise credit in their name (less the $50 fee forfeited, also in the fine print). Then in order to book someone new in that room that person has to pay a new deposit. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bakersdozen12 said:

This is exactly how it works with Early Saver fares. The fine print of that fare (which it sounds like your husband didn’t read) states that name changes are not allowed under Early Saver. So, why your husband is doing is cancelling someone and rebooking another. Since Early Saver rates are also non-refundable, the person who is cancelling gets a future cruise credit in their name (less the $50 fee forfeited, also in the fine print). Then in order to book someone new in that room that person has to pay a new deposit. 

My husband paid the whole deposit on his credit card, for carnival to take that deposit for said persons future cruise would be wrong considering they didn't pay anything. 

& in his defense I didn't know that either, I'm sure we aren't the first people to not read fine print. 

• Like 1

I understand your frustration Ameyers as I had a similar experience when I bought my son a plane ticket a few years ago and he needed to cancel.  Even though I bought the ticket the credit was in his name.  At least with Carnival you may be able to skirt the rules with the trick mentioned above.  Good luck

I can't state for a fact what would happen, but here is an experience I can share.  I was in charge of a small group, which meant only that I had access to everyone's booking numbers and information.  A few days before departure, one of our group (a solo cruiser) decided he was not going to go on the cruise.  I explained that at that late date there would be no refund, he said, "oh well."  We did not advise Carnival of the cancellation because I thought there was always the chance the 'cancellee' would change his mind.

The night before departure, a few of us on the cruise gathered, and a mutual local friend attended.  The guy dropping out came up in casual conversation and the friend said, "I wish I had signed up for this cruise."  Long story short is that since I had the information, I called Carnival and added another passenger to the 'cancellee's' room and the friend went on the cruise.  Caveats:  There probably was a $50 charge, but to be honest I don't actually remember that being an issue.  As part of the deal, the 'friend' had to agree to repay the original pax the cost of the cruise... no free cruise.  He was happy to go and I was happy to recoup what would be a total loss to the cancellee, (who incidently never acknowledged the check we sent or said thank you.)

The point is, stay calm, stay positive, and try.  Don't lie because there is always a chance the lie will be detected and screw everything up.  Keep what you do and say simple, read the fine print, and think it through before you call.  Making changes online sounds excellent to me!  

I don't think this applies exactly to the OP's question, so I'm not offering a solution, just a story as a point of reference in case it can be useful to anyone in the future.  No guarantees... just a story.  

• Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, Shaded Lady said:

Do you also have to change the birthdate and all that other info? 

Yes, the birth date and name has to match the name on the reservation and the form of ID (birth certificate, passport, etc...) the person is using at the port.

Edited by saharaga
  • Like 1

Yea, I did try the change the name online "trick" and while I can change a first OR last name I cannot change the whole name or the birth date/sex either. My husband is going to call back and we will just eat the cost and hopefully get the "credit" for a future cruise to use for us since it was his card he used to book the whole room. We are already planning on another cruise 3/20 so that isn't a big deal. I do appreciate all the help and in the future we will most def. be reading the fine print, ya live and ya learn. 

On 2/19/2019 at 6:30 AM, Aplmac said:

They sure don't make it easy for you, do they?!

Nope they sure do not. It makes me laugh a little bc I mean they are STILL getting their money one way or the other bc my husband is still going, we are just switching out the second guest. Meh, oh well. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 4:34 PM, vikkster said:

The Future cruise credit will go to the person whose charge card was used. Call back when the credit goes through and have it applied. You should only be out the $50.

I really hope this is the case as my husband booked the whole room on his card. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tytanbri said:

I actually just changed the name of a second person this morning. I called my PVP and requested to change the name. They did so without any fee or financial charge.  We also booked early saver and our cruise is in July.

Silly question: What is a PVP? We booked our cruise online in December without anyone helping us, however up until then I had someone always calling me and leaving messages about helping to book. 

the next rate is only about 20pp more then the early saver rate.   I never paid attention to that rate-- just booked with whatever was cheapest--  until i got caught with it once and had to cancel.     Used my dads card-- and he doesnt cruise no more.   and that credit went to him.   what a waste