Upgrade and Upsell Question

CruiseMob

1 minute ago, Debbborra said:

Are automatic upgrades a danger if you have booked a specific cabin rather than a guarantee? 

Yes, not sure if I would call it a danger, but yes, you can be upgraded if you book a specific cabin.  An upsell offer is more likely though overall IMO.

Ok, danger might have been an extreme word 🙂

My real concern is seasickness. I don't think 9 get seasick but I'd rather not test it on an upper deck at the front of boat. 

Other than that I think an upgrade could be nice. 

19 hours ago, kazu said:

Yes, not sure if I would call it a danger, but yes, you can be upgraded if you book a specific cabin.  An upsell offer is more likely though overall IMO.

You can alway have your TA mark your reservation as "Do Not Upgrade".  I do this all the time when I book a specific cabin.  

That way, HAL will not give you a free upgrade (which often is no better or even worse location in the same category), BUT they will still contact you about PAID upgrades (upsells).  I find this works best, at least for me.

18 hours ago, Debbborra said:

Ok, danger might have been an extreme word 🙂

My real concern is seasickness. I don't think 9 get seasick but I'd rather not test it on an upper deck at the front of boat. 

Other than that I think an upgrade could be nice. 

THAT Is wise......A ship is a teeter totter  really....   from the center line of the ship and its center of gravity    Every foot you go up or right or left of that point is more and more movement.    I guy in an inside mid ship  on deck 4 will have half the movement of a guy on deck 9 in an outside.....  Old Archimedes  knew his stuff.

• Like 1

Just wondering if the upgrade/upsell notice comes from Holland America directly or does the cruise line communicate through the travel agent?

We contacted our agent by email yesterday about a possible upgrade for a March 31st sailing; he replied that he had contacted Holland America and that we would have to rebook and pay a penalty. I'm not sure that he made much of an effort...

13 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Just wondering if the upgrade/upsell notice comes from Holland America directly or does the cruise line communicate through the travel agent?

We contacted our agent by email yesterday about a possible upgrade for a March 31st sailing; he replied that he had contacted Holland America and that we would have to rebook and pay a penalty. I'm not sure that he made much of an effort...

If you booked through an agent then the upsells come to them and they must then tell you.  IF they get them and IF they happen to let you know.  (If you had booked through HAL they would come directly to you or through your PCC.)

Your agent is apparently not understanding your question.  There are no penalties to pay and no rebookings to be made if you take an upsell.  Either that or the agency he works for charges the penalty.

The upgrade happens if HAL gives you a better room category.  There are no penalties or rebookings involved in this either.

Edited by *Miss G*

8 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Have to rebook and pay a penalty to get a up-sell.....????  Gimme a break   Time for a NEW agent  this guy is a bozo

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure if he is a bozo or just unmotivated -- we have already booked and paid in full so there is nothing in it for him except maybe repeat business. He works for a large web-based agency. We believe that our fare was reasonable , and I have a feeling that perhaps the cruise line would rather deal directly with passengers who committed when prices were higher (but I may be wrong on that score).

24 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure if he is a bozo or just unmotivated -- we have already booked and paid in full so there is nothing in it for him except maybe repeat business. He works for a large web-based agency. We believe that our fare was reasonable , and I have a feeling that perhaps the cruise line would rather deal directly with passengers who committed when prices were higher (but I may be wrong on that score).

When I asked our TA to call HAL to see what he could do when our cruise price went down by 50% he said he had to call twice.  The first agent said "no".  He called back and the 2nd HAL agent gave us an upgrade from inside to verandah plus perks worth $150 each.  This is our third cruise booked with this TA so I appreciated he tried a bit harder.

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

The upgrade happens if HAL gives you a better room category.  There are no penalties or rebookings involved in this either.

I already checked with my TA and if you accept the upgrade or upsell you do not lose any promo benefits like the Explore 4. I have a prefect midship SS cabin on the 6th deck in July so the only upgrade I would consider is a NS.

5 hours ago, forevercruising1 said:

Can anyone clarify whether upsell offers are only sent out on weekdays?  

Has anyone ever received one on a weekend?

Thanks!

Not positive but I think the "office" is not there on weekends so offers are only sent out during the week.