Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
annmarz

Studio Cabin Comparison: Getaway vs. Bliss

It's been a week since I disembarked the Bliss and I have so many wonderful things to say about this gorgeous, well-designed, and immaculately clean ship that I really don't know where to begin.  I was on the Getaway a year ago so I thought I would begin with a comparison of the studio cabin experience on these ships.

On both trips I traveled with a friend who was also in a Studio Cabin. In fact, the availability of these accommodations is what attracted me to NCL in the first place.(I have traveled on over 30 cruises on 12 different lines but these are my only NCL voyages.)  So we weren't really travelling solo and I can't comment on the solo cruiser activities which we did not partake of.

The cabins were very similar. The bed on the Getaway was wider. At first I was a bit disappointed when I entered the Bliss Studio cabin and noticed this but I soon saw the advantage of having more floor space between the bed and the closets.  I  relocated the stool from under the shelf/tv area to use as a nightstand next to the bed. It was a different shape than on the Getaway and it did not open for storage space like on the Getaway which would have been nice. I also noticed the addition of a wastebasket in the toilet room.

The biggest difference was the much-touted "virtual porthole" in the wall of the Bliss which would give a view of the outside of the ship as if you were actually looking out a real window. Unfortunately, mine did not work. After a day of inquiries with no results, I finally got a manager who investigated and said it was broken (duh!). There was no way to fix it. After I expressed my unhappiness, they offered me chocolate covered strawberries and wine. This was a nice gesture but had no value to me (I don't drink wine and there is free food everywhere on the ship.) Long story short, I requested and received a complimentary specialty dining meal. I was very happy with this! Le Bistro was a superb experience and I was pleased they handled this so well!!

I found that I could put on the tv, tune it to the Bridge Cam, cover a lot of the screen with the sliding closet door, and thus be awakened by daylight in the morning.

There is a Studio Lounge on both ships exclusively for the use of those in the studio cabins. I much preferred the one on the Getaway, It had a serviced bar in the evenings and real regular coffee available.  On the Bliss, no bar, and a latte/espresso/etc machine which my friend loved but I just wanted regular coffee! Still it was convenient for ice water and snacks and a lovely space.

Comments that apply to both ships:  The Studio Cabins are extremely well-designed for such a small space. Lots of room under the bed for suitcases, padded walls make for a "daybed" like feel when watching tv, excellent reading light, USB port, many shelves and cubby holes and hanging knobs. The shower is nice but I wish they had conditioner along with the shampoo and a footrest for perching a leg while shaving. Good mirrors and lighting. Sink is tiny but functional. I was actually surprised that I felt so comfortable for a week in such a small space. I brought some magnets for hanging notes and papers on the metal toilet room door and used packing cubes to stack on the shelves. Things I wasn't using like the hairdryer I placed  under the bed.   Tip:  When retiring for the night, make sure the closet door on the far right is slid all the way to the right or else it bangs and knocks. My friends and I all found this to be the case.

I will continue with comments on the Bliss soon!

Studios on the Getaway have a "full" sized bed.  So the smaller bed on the Bliss is a "twin?"

Edited by FLAHAM